Non-conference Rival For Tennessee

I think it's good to play teams from places we recruit regularly. So my choices are Virginia Tech, NC State, Texas A&M, & UCLA

UCLA sounds good, too. Although my vote would go to USC, because in the time it will take to get them on the non-conference schedule, their power should have diluted a bit and Tennssee should be doing gradually better. Would make for a great matchup, something on the magnitutde of this season's Texas vs. Ohio State opener.

i like the va tech answer.

they play smash mouth football like us.

they also are disrespected like us..

they have an excellent coach in beamer.

man i would love to see a home-away match up with them.

that would make for incredible t.v.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 8:52 PM
UCLA sounds good, too. Although my vote would go to USC, because in the time it will take to get them on the non-conference schedule, their power should have diluted a bit and Tennssee should be doing gradually better. Would make for a great matchup, something on the magnitutde of this season's Texas vs. Ohio State opener.

Texas plays UL-Lafeyette to start the season. OSU plays Miami (OH), so they don't open with each other.

week 2 is when OSU hosts Texas.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 10:01 PM
Oh yeah... My bad. But still, that's a big BIG non-conference game.

Yes it is, and I'm probably going to be down in the shoe for that one as well.

any of the Virginia's would be cool and i always loved the games with
ucla and everytime we have played the orangemen we have had a good
year. and even clemson would be ok. but i would rather leave the big names
till bowl season the sec is already tough enough.

I miss the days when we played Ga Tech every year. I think that series stopped in the late 80s.

I think the last time we played ga tech was in 1984 dickey was the qb
the week after the alabama game when robinson went down for the year
after a big hit from coenelius bennet. 1985 sugar bowl Tenn-35 Miami-7

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Apr 6, 2005 10:16 AM
The "other" UT, Texas, so we could battle for the rights to the name or maybe THE :rolleyes: Ohio State University

i would like to see Tenn play Texas. i have a friend from Texas that thinks the Real UT is in Texas and that Tenn sucks. maybe if Tenn beats one of her home teams that she thinks is the best cause they are from texas she will come to realize Tenn isnt a bad team.Texas is normally a good team and would probably be good competition. Although most of us know who would be the dominate team! lol!

Originally posted by statman@Apr 7, 2005 12:05 AM
I think the last time we played ga tech was in 1984 dickey was the qb
the week after the alabama game when robinson went down for the year
after a big hit from coenelius bennet. 1985 sugar bowl Tenn-35 Miami-7

A slight correction - the Dickey QB year was 1985. Also, now that I think about it, I know the series went until 1987 because I can remember vividly sitting in the stadium as we sat on a 4 TD lead after Jeff Francis got hurt and we had a backup QB named Randy Sanders taking all the snaps in the 2nd half.

the dickey year was 1984 dickey played in the 1985 sugar bowl on new years
day. he was a senior he finished out 1984 after robinson got hurt.

Originally posted by statman@Apr 7, 2005 8:52 AM

Not that it really matters . . . but it was 1985.

Robinson started all of 1984 then got hurt in the '85 Alabama game at Legion Field. I was there. Dickey came in and we held on for a 16-14 win; then Dickey went undefeated in the last 6-7 games including a blowout of Miami in the 1986Sugar Bowl.

1985 Season Results

Originally posted by GAVol+Apr 7, 2005 8:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Apr 7, 2005 8:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-statman@Apr 7, 2005 8:52 AM

Not that it really matters . . . but it was 1985.

Robinson started all of 1984 then got hurt in the &#39;85 Alabama game at Legion Field. I was there. Dickey came in and we held on for a 16-14 win; then Dickey went undefeated in the last 6-7 games including a blowout of Miami in the 1986Sugar Bowl.

1985 Season Results [/quote]
I have the tape of that Sugar Bowl.

Miami scored first and went up 7-0. Then we proceeded to kick their butts to the tune of 35-7. We sacked Vinny Testaverde something like seven or eight times. It was a great game for the VOLS&#33; :rocks:

And I would like to see us play Va Tech home-and-away for awhile because they run their mouths up here constantly. I would like to see the Vols stick &#39;em&#33;

MTSU? Just kidding.

I think you have to consider PROXIMITY. You&#39;re not going to get 40,000 UT fans to fly to UCLA, Miami, or Michigan (although it would be cool. . . . or COLD in the case of the latter). For that reason, I&#39;ll go with VT or Memphis. Blacksburg is a 3 1/2 hour drive from K-town (230 miles) and Memphis is about 5 1/2.

Other decent options: GT and Clemson

ya kiddie i hate clemson too after they stomped us in the peach bowl... :censored: the tigers i want some :censored: ing blood

Hey Doc,

While I agree with you in principle about proximity being important for a rivalry, I disagree with you in practice. Whether or not we can get 40,000 fans to travel to Ann Arbor or Miami or Blacksburg is irrelevent. We don&#39;t get that many to Tuscaloosa or Gainsville and those are huge rivals. On the other hand, we get 25,000 in Nashville for what is in effect a "non-rivalry" rivalry. I think that five or six thousand would make the trip to anywhere the Vols play.

The point is that a UT-Michigan (or any of the others mentioned) home and away schedule would be competitive, a boost for both programs, and would be of national interest.

I don&#39;t know, arkansas and texas are rivals and that is a pretty big drive there. I think from little rock to Austin is 8 hours.

Originally posted by GoVolsDogg+Apr 6, 2005 8:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GoVolsDogg @ Apr 6, 2005 8:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 8:52 PM
UCLA sounds good, too. Although my vote would go to USC, because in the time it will take to get them on the non-conference schedule, their power should have diluted a bit and Tennssee should be doing gradually better. Would make for a great matchup, something on the magnitutde of this season&#39;s Texas vs. Ohio State opener.

Texas plays UL-Lafeyette to start the season. OSU plays Miami (OH), so they don&#39;t open with each other.

week 2 is when OSU hosts Texas. [/quote]
Awww, UL-Lafayette would be cool..........I can be there in about 3 hours&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

We&#39;ll see if they&#39;re truly a good football team next season... If they can make it through the next two seasons in the Big Least with no more than two or three conference losses, then I will say that Louisville has arrived as a football team.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 7, 2005 8:34 PM
We&#39;ll see if they&#39;re truly a good football team next season... If they can make it through the next two seasons in the Big Least with no more than two or three conference losses, then I will say that Louisville has arrived as a football team.

Well i was just thinking, We play them in basketball and they always beat us, thought we could just return the favor in football.

VN Store

Back