Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

She had 5 Starters drafted, most of which were either All-Americans or the Best of the Best from the country they came from and didn't win a National Championship and then she was able to put a team on the floor loaded with all Americans the following season with a 6-7 post who was one of the best from Brazil. Dawn Recruits well and most of the players sitting behind those starters returned and were 5 star players. Player-wise, she should have had back-to-back national championships. Her X's & O's and wait your turn mentality lost her that championship 2 years ago which should have been a done deal.

You do realize that Staley's X's and O's and wait your turn mentality won her her 2nd championship just a year prior to the year you're referring to? With essentially the exact same team of starters and players sitting behind those starters, minus one single player? She didn't change up her coaching philosophy between the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons.....

You do realize that Staley's X's and O's and wait your turn mentality won her her 2nd championship just a year prior to the year you're referring to? With essentially the exact same team of starters and players sitting behind those starters, minus one single player? She didn't change up her coaching philosophy between the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons.....
I've never thought x's and o's were Dawn's greatest strenghts and a few times it's caught up with her. But at this point, she doesn't even need to be a strategic genius. She successfully manages and fronts an incredible recruiting and NIL money machine and hires the best assistants to help her with the rest. She's a clinic in top tier women's sports.

So when we diss Dawn's accomplishments around here, it just reeks of desperation.

I've never thought x's and o's were Dawn's greatest strenghts and a few times it's caught up with her. But at this point, she doesn't even need to be a strategic genius. She successfully manages and fronts an incredible recruiting and NIL money machine and hires the best assistants to help her with the rest. She's a clinic in top tier women's sports.

So when we diss Dawn's accomplishments around here, it just reeks of desperation.
I’m not certain she has access to anything like “an incredible NIL money machine”, you would be surprised I imagine. Everyone knows about the 25k per year to each player, but that is peanuts compared to some programs and tbh, nobody knows what kind of money she has to work with. I can tell you the SC Athletic Dept. has an association with one collective now (recent merger) and it is by no means wealthy, in fact it struggles to keep up in all sports with the SEC brethren teams that have much deeper pockets and wealthier alumni. SC and USC in particular are not considered wealthy by any means as compared to many other SEC teams and B1G teams. And their collective is small compared to blue blood programs like UT, Texas, Bama, UGA, UF, OK, aTm, Aub, Clemson etc….

If you were thinking CDS’s recruiting prowess was based upon a deep pocket collective you would be wrong. And to dismiss her X’s and O’s prowess seems a bit out of line. You can disagree with her decisions but not the results. I don’t know how many times people keep bringing up the Iowa game in the semis last year, it was one game in two years that she has lost, it happens.

Last edited:
I’m not certain she has access to anything like “an incredible NIL money machine”, you would be surprised I imagine. Everyone knows about the 25k per year to each player, but that is peanuts compared to some programs and tbh, nobody knows what kind of money she has to work with. I can tell you the SC Athletic Dept. has an association with one collective now (recent merger) and it is by no means wealthy, in fact it struggles to keep up in all sports with the SEC brethren teams that have much deeper pockets and wealthier alumni. SC and USC in particular are not considered wealthy by any means as compared to many other SEC teams and B1G teams. And their collective is small compared to blue blood programs like UT, Texas, Bama, UGA, UF, OK, aTm, Aub, Clemson etc….

If you were thinking CDS’s recruiting prowess was based upon a deep pocket collective you would be wrong. And to dismiss her X’s and O’s prowess seems a bit out of line. You can disagree with her decisions but not the results. I don’t know how many times people keep bringing up the Iowa game in the semis last year, it was one game in two years that she has lost, it happens.
Dude they just got 250$K fully matched. Sitting on an extra 500 K. And according to their release, it was new donations that were matched so this is in addition to their usual NIL stream. Which has been adequate to land every major recruit she's gone after.

Not sure why you always want to downplay the funds SC has access to. It's nothing unexpected or unusual, winning nattys brings in big donations. It's an accomplishment to be proud of.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
to dismiss her X’s and O’s prowess seems a bit out of line.
Not dismissing her x and o's, obviously they're up to the task or she wouldn't be where she is. Just said that's not her strong point.
As has been established several times, NIL valuations are estimates based on clicks, likes, etc that are not completely representitive of real life.

Again, it's common sense and unsurprising that a team that wins 99% of the time has a very robust donor base and a very comfortable available money pool. I don't understand why it's so important to SC fans to downplay it. It's part of the winning process, embrace it!

Congratulations to former UConn great Swin Cash who has been promoted to Senior Vice President of basketball operations for the New Orleans Pelicans. This proves that women can do anything that men can do if it pertains to brain power. Who needs women coaches in the NBA if they are smart enough to actually fill important front office positions.

Reactions: maple and mcannon1
Congratulations to former UConn great Swin Cash who has been promoted to Senior Vice President of basketball operations for the New Orleans Pelicans. This proves that women can do anything that men can do if it pertains to brain power. Who needs women coaches in the NBA if they are smart enough to actually fill important front office positions.

Let’s see how it goes before we say it’s a success.

Bird tried to do something similar with the Nuggets and it was a no go.

She looks so athletic out there but she also looks so small? I love her athleticism around the rim. I’m curious to see how her game translates against bigger, more physical players.
The 6-foot-2 senior forward averaged 31.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, 4.5 steals, 4.0 assists and 3.3 blocks per game this past season, leading the Bulldogs (28-2) to the Class AAA state championship. Both Sarah Strong and Joyce Edwards are listed at 6 foot 2 while the average height in the WNBA is 6 foot. Who has the better basketball physique Sarah or Joyce?

The 6-foot-2 senior forward averaged 31.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, 4.5 steals, 4.0 assists and 3.3 blocks per game this past season, leading the Bulldogs (28-2) to the Class AAA state championship. Both Sarah Strong and Joyce Edwards are listed at 6 foot 2 while the average height in the WNBA is 6 foot. Who has the better basketball physique Sarah or Joyce?

I know what she’s listed at. She does not look that big. Rickea Jackson is 6’2”.

Edwards reminds me of Onyenwere but is much better. She looks about 5’11” to me though.

Let’s see how it goes before we say it’s a success.

Bird tried to do something similar with the Nuggets and it was a no go.
This is a promotion, not a signing. She has been a Vice President of basketball operations and player development since 2019. She is being promoted to SENIOR Vice President right now. Despite your always negativity towards UConn players, and your limited knowledge of most everything, she has already proved herself as an asset to the New Orleans Pelicans.

This is a promotion, not a signing. She has been a Vice President of basketball operations and player development since 2019. She is being promoted to SENIOR Vice President right now. Despite your always negativity towards UConn players, and your limited knowledge of most everything, she has already proved herself as an asset to the New Orleans Pelicans.
Well said!

She looks so athletic out there but she also looks so small? I love her athleticism around the rim. I’m curious to see how her game translates against bigger, more physical players.
She is 6-3 when a reporter at a HS game this season ask her how tall she was she said 6-3 and the reporter said you are taller then me and i'm 6-2

Interesting discussions. Good questions and nice insights from a couple of lifers, Mulkey and Auriemma.

Thanks. I paused to comment, but this is really good stuff. Dare I say Kimmie is nattily attired and Geno is behaving casual.

Edit: So. When will Geno break out a Porter Wagner Special? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: maple and 1reVOLver
Hello LVs fans, hope you’re all having a good summer.

I’m a little late on this news, so apologies if it’s already been posted, but I just saw that Syracuse hired on Ty Evans (former TN State U head coach) as an assistant coach.

I just thought the TN connection was interesting. :)

For those who think Sarah Strong is better than Joyce Edwards....Edwards continues to be MVP's and Strong doesn't even make the first or second all-star team of the tournament. Strong is a great player but Edwards is better. Edwards crowned MVP; Betts, Bascoe, McDowell and Lagowski also in All Star 5
Maybe you are right. I am a little slower to draw too many conclusions from a handful of U-18
games with unfamiliar teammates and sparse prep time. Let's see how they match up when Team Staley plays Team Auriemma. Should be a good show.

PS- Thanks for the greengrocer's apostrophe.** I guess U. So. Car. doesn't distinguish between plurals and possessives.

** green·gro·cer's a·pos·tro·phe

noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH
plural noun: greengrocers' apostrophes
  1. an apostrophe placed incorrectly before the final 's' of a plural noun (e.g. a pound of potato's ).
    "the Apostrophe Protection Society will have to work vigorously if it is going to have any effect on the greengrocer's apostrophe"

IMG_1854.jpeg

Maybe you are right. I am a little slower to draw too many conclusions from a handful of U-18
games with unfamiliar teammates and sparse prep time. Let's see how they match up when Team Staley plays Team Auriemma. Should be a good show.

PS- Thanks for the greengrocer's apostrophe.** I guess U. So. Car. doesn't distinguish between plurals and possessives.

** green·gro·cer's a·pos·tro·phe

noun
INFORMAL•BRITISH
plural noun: greengrocers' apostrophes
  1. an apostrophe placed incorrectly before the final 's' of a plural noun (e.g. a pound of potato's ).
    "the Apostrophe Protection Society will have to work vigorously if it is going to have any effect on the greengrocer's apostrophe"

View attachment 659035
She was tournament champion MVP in high school league championship game...she was the state MVP....she was co-MVP in the McDonalds all-American game and the MVP of the U-18 tournament....hence...MVP's....you're not as sharp as you pretend....;)

She was tournament champion MVP in high school league championship game...she was the state MVP....she was co-MVP in the McDonalds all-American game and the MVP of the U-18 tournament....hence...MVP's....you're not as sharp as you pretend....;)
You totally missed the point of my comment, which had next to nothing to do with the impressive skills and record of Ms. Edwards. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit; neither is orthography.

Reactions: MicCheck12
Don’t think you need an apostrophe at all there. Also, “continues to be MVP’s” is a little awkward. But, I understand this is not an English paper so we all take grammatical shortcuts.😆

VN Store

Back