O Line Comments

It looks like it'll be Blair-Kerbyson- Crowder- Jackson-Posey. Our 6th man will be Austin Sanders, I hope he learns guard and tackle. Our 7th is where the problems start. Do we have Pair playing up to 25% of snaps? We'll struggle a bit at first, then in 2015 we'll be great.

I am waiting on 2015 anyway, these next couple of years are going to be tough on the big orange, these people saying 8 and 9 win seasons this year and next, does not have to high of a IQ in football.:cray:

I am waiting on 2015 anyway, these next couple of years are going to be tough on the big orange, these people saying 8 and 9 win seasons this year and next, does not have to high of a IQ in football.:cray:

Well we got mensas like you to guide us through the dull fog...look!...a butterfly!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 3 people
It looks like it'll be Blair-Kerbyson- Crowder- Jackson-Posey. Our 6th man will be Austin Sanders, I hope he learns guard and tackle. Our 7th is where the problems start. Do we have Pair playing up to 25% of snaps? We'll struggle a bit at first, then in 2015 we'll be great.
Blair?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You bring up a good point in regard to OVERALL player development, not just o-line. That being:

1) Part of scheduling scrub teams is to get reps for your reserves in the second half. But Dooley struggled with the likes of UAB, MTSU, and Akron late into the 4th quarter giving our backups little to no reps.

2) Dooley sucked so bad he couldn't muster up a 6-6 record for a suck bowl. That's an extra training camp our opponents are getting annually that we don't. This especially matters with young players.

Imagine how many losses Dooley could rack up with this year's schedule...I'm guessing 9.

We need an Aaron Sears or Eric Young. I think those dudes played every position on the line except C IIRC due to injuries. Don't get me wrong, LOL...lineman who can play G or T on the left or right side don't grow on trees. But somehow Fulmer always seemed to find them. I name Sears and Young because their ability to do so stood out more IMO because we did lack depth thru Phil's last couple of years. And these dudes ability to play both positions on either side helped us "smoke and mirror" our way thru depth issues IMO. Someone who could play T or G would be an absolute blessing for next years squad. Heck,them dudes can help you even if you're loaded.

Reactions: 2 people
I have read several articles about Butch and the future of the program and every time they mention that we will lose our entire O-line next year. With the caliber of this line, I think the 2nd string will get plenty of reps this year to be ready for the future.

We have several guys that were studs coming out of HS that should be ready. I know it will take time for them to jell but it isn't like we will have 5 freshmen. Any thoughts?

GO VOLS!!

You are right. But the only time this O-line got any good coaching was last year under Pittman. The first two years was bad with Dooley running the ship. I think they will be coached up good again with this staff because we have football coaches now. Unlike the last few years.

Yes I think Pair will be that next guy. The time as backups has been a blessing for the future o-line. Just think how grossly incompetent this current crew looked when they were thrust into the fire as freshman. I mean seriously...think about the o-line we ran out on the field against Oregon two years ago. Next years crew should be light years ahead of that crew. A drop off from this year's line doesn't mean we'll be bad. It's nearly impossible not to have a dropoff losing a line this good. IMO our current o-line has a chance to be 1985 good. Now that line was something else.

Edit: we will also have Dylan Wiesman along with Pair and Sanders. I think dudes gonna be a baller.

i don't think pair sees the field.

We need an Aaron Sears or Eric Young. I think those dudes played every position on the line except C IIRC due to injuries. Don't get me wrong, LOL...lineman who can play G or T on the left or right side don't grow on trees. But somehow Fulmer always seemed to find them. I name Sears and Young because their ability to do so stood out more IMO because we did lack depth thru Phil's last couple of years. And these dudes ability to play both positions on either side helped us "smoke and mirror" our way thru depth issues IMO. Someone who could play T or G would be an absolute blessing for next years squad. Heck,them dudes can help you even if you're loaded.

Austin Sanders and Weisman have the best chance to become that. If that happens, we'll have the TVA again.

You really think there's no possibility of UT winning 8-9 games in year 2 with CBJ (if he pans out like most think) If so, I question your football IQ. This is still Tennessee and we bring in good talent every year. Look what Saban did in year 2 at Bama. This football program is just as rich in history and resources and is more than capable of making a quick turnaround just like Bama did. People have been using the "depth" excuse since Fulmer was fired, news flash, that was 5 years ago, so when are we gonna quit with that crap? We've got the talent and enough "depth" to compete, I can guarantee it.

Yes I think Pair will be that next guy. The time as backups has been a blessing for the future o-line. Just think how grossly incompetent this current crew looked when they were thrust into the fire as freshman. I mean seriously...think about the o-line we ran out on the field against Oregon two years ago. Next years crew should be light years ahead of that crew. A drop off from this year's line doesn't mean we'll be bad. It's nearly impossible not to have a dropoff losing a line this good. IMO our current o-line has a chance to be 1985 good. Now that line was something else.

Edit: we will also have Dylan Wiesman along with Pair and Sanders. I think dudes gonna be a baller.

I remember 1985, but I think I'll take 1990 - when our 3rd string running back led the SEC in rushing. That's right - Tony Thompson. One thing about ole' Phil - he could put together some really good offensive lines.

Reactions: 3 people
You are right. But the only time this O-line got any good coaching was last year under Pittman. The first two years was bad with Dooley running the ship. I think they will be coached up good again with this staff because we have football coaches now. Unlike the last few years.
Dooley coached the offensive line the first two years?

Reactions: 1 person
I remember 1985, but I think I'll take 1990 - when our 3rd string running back led the SEC in rushing. That's right - Tony Thompson. One thing about ole' Phil - he could put together some really good offensive lines.

No doubt about it....everything you said. I guess we can't talk O-lines without talking 98' LOL. Jamal goes down and we win the NC. I know Cheese was awesome, but that I-line was insane. The game winning drive against Arkansas comes to mind. The line completely obliterated Arkansas front and Cheese did the rest they knew what we were running and couldn't stop it.

I also remember the reporter asking Bobby Bowden about not having his QB in the NC game. I think it was obvious dude was trying to bait an excuse out of Bobby. But instead he quickly replied that we had lost our best player in Lewis. I always respected Bowden after that comment. But point blank, that line was beast. I think towards the end that ticked me off more than anything about Phil's teams. The line play was spotty IMO. Even the 07' line which statistically was one of the best nationally and boasted an 1,100yd rusher in Foster. It lacked depth and it seemed like if it was 3rd and 1, they at times seemed to struggle getting a push. Well I've rambled enough...someone else's turn.

Reactions: 1 person
That may very well be the case. Who do you think we use for depth?

here is hoping to some young guys making a splash...i have no idea, but I don't see it being pair. orlando brown has great upside but it takes him two years to develop IMO.

here is hoping to some young guys making a splash...i have no idea, but I don't see it being pair. orlando brown has great upside but it takes him two years to develop IMO.

I hear ya man. I will say, my comment on Pair was strictly reflecting where we stand depth wise. If he's the next guy in line...he's the next in line. Not that he's better than the next guy so to speak.

I hear ya man. I will say, my comment on Pair was strictly reflecting where we stand depth wise. If he's the next guy in line...he's the next in line. Not that he's better than the next guy so to speak.

your right. even with his limited experience, he is further along than others outside of Jackson.

LWSVOL, what's your win/loss prediction for the season and what would you be happy/sad with?

at this juncture ( a lot can happen in August to impact a season) we are a 5 win team, 6 at best. A couple of injuries at a few key positions, could make it worse. Like we can't afford an injury at LB or DT and I don't think we can afford an injury to Worley. If we had some experienced WRs, maybe a freshman QB could do okay but with lack of experience at WR and a freshmen QB, not sure how bad we might look up.

I'm on 5 or 6 wins at best right now and see how healthy we are to start season..

VN Store

Back