Observations: No clear No. 1 at running back for Vols

We may not have an every down back to carry the season but we can rotate several guys and keep fresh legs. Most of them have different skill sets too which could keep their D off balance. Neal and Lane should carry most of the load then Hill or Smith in situations

Reactions: 1 person
I am still wondering about the one two duo for RB. I mean i know 1-Neal, who is the other one ? Lane ? Hill ? Tom Smith ? anyone else ?

i do wished there was a clear cut running back,of course it may be from CBJ and company putting pressure on the RBs and QBs to preform during training camp,I do think a lot of that is going on,which is good for the team

I am still wondering about the one two duo for RB. I mean i know 1-Neal, who is the other one ? Lane ? Hill ? Tom Smith ? anyone else ?

It's Lane. I saw on the UT site a coach mentioned scenarios where they are used in tandem. I suspect CBJ &Co. are going to experiment with power running. If that OL can run block as well as they pass block, we'll find out by the WKU game. And if it proves true, we have the right kind of backs to rotate and wear defenses down. And if that proves the case, we will unquestionably have a season beyond "experts" predictions.

In the UT article I saw (scanned actually) it mentioned Tom Smith. Maybe Hill too but I can't remember for sure. But it said Tom had really made good use of his chances and looked good. We know Hill can run with some semblance to being a bruising RB. Smith is also a north to south runner, so battering opposing DL isn't out of the question between Neal, Lane, Hill, and Smith. Then we have med-sized speed backs like Pickett, plus Pig and Devron can be used as scat backs. I think we're going to see a very varied and flexible Vols offense this season. With a coach who understands that you pick a Roman sword for close in fighting and a Tomahawk cruise missile for long range strikes.

Last edited:
It's Lane. I saw on the UT site a coach mentioned scenarios where they are used in tandem. I suspect CBJ &Co. are going to experiment with power running. If that OL can run block as well as they pass block, we'll find out by the WKU game. And if it proves true, we have the right kind of backs to rotate and wear defenses down. And if that proves the case, we will unquestionably have a season beyond "experts" predictions.

In the UT article I saw (scanned actually) it mentioned Tom Smith. Maybe Hill too but I can't remember for sure. But it said Tom had really made good use of his chances and looked good. We know Hill can run with some semblance to being a bruising RB. Smith is also a north to south runner, so battering opposing DL isn't out of the question between Neal, Lane, Hill, and Smith. Then we have med-sized speed backs like Pickett, plus Pig and Devron can be used as scat backs. I think we're going to see a very varied and flexible Vols offense this season. With a coach who understands that you pick a Roman sword for close in fighting and a Tomahawk cruise missile for long range strikes.

I'd love to see Hill being used for short yardage situations. He is a bruiser indeed. Tom smith was also mentioned as having had a good last scrimmage. I sure hope we have a good running game this year so that we can somehow manage with the unproven passing game.

The article states that there is no number 1 between Lane and Neal. That makes me extremely happy. Last year, I thought it was clear that Lane was better. At the open practice, I thought Neal was finally running like he was supposed to... If they're that close to each other this year, I can only assume great things.

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds like coach Gillespie isnt naming a #1 cause he might not have the authority. He even said "Whether (offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian) or (head coach Butch Jones) does, I’ll leave that up to them.”

With Lane sidelined at the moment it sure sounds to me like Neal is #1.

Just coach speak as far as I'm concerned. Neal is the one. Lane has missed valuable time that could effect him early on at least. Good to see Smith step up some. Bad to see Hill digress from his strides in the spring. The top three will all get carries for sure but early on Neal will get more IMO.

Coach Jones spoke very highly of Lane on the radio. Really likes how he has responded since being suspended and has turned it up. I know both Lane and Neal have had recent injuries, so both will be used a lot to carry the load IMO.

Sounds like coach Gillespie isnt naming a #1 cause he might not have the authority. He even said "Whether (offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian) or (head coach Butch Jones) does, I’ll leave that up to them.”

With Lane sidelined at the moment it sure sounds to me like Neal is #1.

It's Neal. It would be Neal anyway because as usual, he put in his summer with the OL. He weight lifts with them. He runs with them. He basically hang with them. On top of that, we periodically hear and see (video) the work he's putting in to be better, even when Dooley was here. We never hear about him having off field issues or being in the doghouse. All we hear about his is his Work, WOrk, WORk, WORK. Whereas with Lane, we hear???????? Lane is a heck of a back and he's going to produce, but Neal starts because he, well uh. . .he, he gets it.

Definitely Lane. Don't forget transfer Justus Pickett who seemed to have a pretty good Fall camp

I'd love to see Hill being used for short yardage situations. He is a bruiser indeed. Tom smith was also mentioned as having had a good last scrimmage. I sure hope we have a good running game this year so that we can somehow manage with the unproven passing game.
I expect to see Hill a lot in short yardage.
Closest we have to a down hill runner.
He'll Run the creases and won't go down on the first touch.
The RUN will return this season. Book it.

I believe CBJ intentionally doesn't name starters where there may be question marks to keep pressure on those guys. When you know there's a chance you could start, your gonna bust your ass a little more to try to grab that number one spot. That's how he can get the most production from these guys in camp. I believe that's what we're seeing at RB, QB, and WR

Reactions: 3 people
When I think about the best running games TN has had we always had a couple of backs, usually when we just had one.....we were not as strong.

Don't see how it's not Neal then Lane, but if Hill or Smith have a solid year and become recognized, I have no doubt they'll be fine at the back position.

Picture this: (even for one play a game or so) We come out with one of the more mobile QBs (or Pig, I guess) in a 2-RB shotgun formation. Lane on one side, Neal on the other. Run a triple option that begins as an inside zone read to Lane so the options are give to Lane running downhill into the line or the QB keeps to the other side and options out with Neal. Could have potential.

Coach Jones spoke very highly of Lane on the radio. Really likes how he has responded since being suspended and has turned it up. I know both Lane and Neal have had recent injuries, so both will be used a lot to carry the load IMO.

#turntup

Picture this: (even for one play a game or so) We come out with one of the more mobile QBs (or Pig, I guess) in a 2-RB shotgun formation. Lane on one side, Neal on the other. Run a triple option that begins as an inside zone read to Lane so the options are give to Lane running downhill into the line or the QB keeps to the other side and options out with Neal. Could have potential.

I don't know. Pitches make me really really really nervous

VN Store

Back