Observations: No clear No. 1 at running back for Vols

I don't know. Pitches make me really really really nervous

Worley and Peterman have practiced the option since last year and I imagine that the other 2 and them could have practiced more this year. I wouldn't imagine something like this would happen without a great amount of practice first. Valid concern though, especially since it seems like whatever can go wrong did go wrong the past few years.

When I think about the best running games TN has had we always had a couple of backs, usually when we just had one.....we were not as strong.

Alabubba has perfected RB rotation with 5* RBs on roster. In the SEC, that type of offense is perfect not only to keep fresh legs on the field, but also to produce game experience, tell future RB recruits they'll get touches probably in year 1 and have depth in case of injury.

The Vols are going to need a t least 4 RB's this year, so not naming 1's and 2's and 3's is irrelevant at this point. I'm sure as the season goes on some will get banged up and someone else will have to step in and perform. Man it's time to play some football already.

Alabubba has perfected RB rotation with 5* RBs on roster. In the SEC, that type of offense is perfect not only to keep fresh legs on the field, but also to produce game experience, tell future RB recruits they'll get touches probably in year 1 and have depth in case of injury.

I agree but why reference the bubbas? We use to do the same thing.

I'm not dogg'n yah 74...just tired of seeing them in every thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Remember Cobb - Webb attack?? Start at 33:00
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPpa5v3ZDv4[/youtube]

Cobb And Webb made for an excellent duo, and always meant fresh legs...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I agree but why reference the bubbas? We use to do the same thing.

I'm not dogg'n yah 74...just tired of seeing them in every thread.

They've also set the standard in just about every category. Passing/Running/Defense/ST.

Of course they'll be brought up.

Didn't the coaches have Lane, Pig, and a few others in non contact jerseys, or have them sit out of practice earlier in the week or something like that so they could rest their legs?

If the coaches are going through lengths to rest his legs, then I'd assume Lane is going to play a lot, regardless of who the "starter" is. I think we'll see a pretty true tandem.

It's Neal. It would be Neal anyway because as usual, he put in his summer with the OL. He weight lifts with them. He runs with them. He basically hang with them. On top of that, we periodically hear and see (video) the work he's putting in to be better, even when Dooley was here. We never hear about him having off field issues or being in the doghouse. All we hear about his is his Work, WOrk, WORk, WORK. Whereas with Lane, we hear???????? Lane is a heck of a back and he's going to produce, but Neal starts because he, well uh. . .he, he gets it.

Glad this Dooley mentality is out of here. Just because you are around the man, doesn't make you the man. Lane provides a lot more than Neal does in the back field. Point Blank Period

Glad this Dooley mentality is out of here. Just because you are around the man, doesn't make you the man. Lane provides a lot more than Neal does in the back field. Point Blank Period

Right now Lane is on the sideline.

Unfortunately we have some very average SEC RB's that are going to have to perform above average if we are to compete in the very competitive SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortunately we have some very average SEC RB's that are going to have to perform above average if we are to compete in the very competitive SEC.

An above average line can make an average running back look alot better.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Lane provides a lot more than Neal does in the back field. Point Blank Period

All the Lane supporters have been preaching this for years. Lane has had every opportunity to win the starting job and get more carries. He hasn't won it. He got suspended and almost quit on the team. And still people think he is being held back by coaches or something. Sometimes the backup is the backup for a reason. Time to accept it folks.

And Butch praising him for not quitting and doing what he needed to do to get reinstated is great and all, but I think I would save my praise for guys like Neal or Smith who never put themselves in that position to have to be reinstated.

All the Lane supporters have been preaching this for years. Lane has had every opportunity to win the starting job and get more carries. He hasn't won it. He got suspended and almost quit on the team. And still people think he is being held back by coaches or something. Sometimes the backup is the backup for a reason. Time to accept it folks.

And Butch praising him for not quitting and doing what he needed to do to get reinstated is great and all, but I think I would save my praise for guys like Neal or Smith who never put themselves in that position to have to be reinstated.

When I see Rajon run, I see a back that is explosive but wants to take it to the house every run. Sometimes its a 10+ yd gain, sometimes its a 3 yd loss.

Lane knows how to lower his head and move the pile 5 yds if that's all he can get.

I think we have a better run game than we get credit for. Dooley/Chaney were too quick to abandon the running game the last 3 years. 3rd and 1 lets throw a hail Mary!!

Didn't the coaches have Lane, Pig, and a few others in non contact jerseys, or have them sit out of practice earlier in the week or something like that so they could rest their legs?

If the coaches are going through lengths to rest his legs, then I'd assume Lane is going to play a lot, regardless of who the "starter" is. I think we'll see a pretty true tandem.

He isn't resting his legs. Lanes has been banged up all camp.

Lane is the better runner by far. He averaged a yard more per carry than Neal. At 5.5 yards per carry in the SEC that's nothing to sneeze at. Lane had to face Bama and USC's def while Neal did not. Plus I think Lane had the longest run from scrim between him and Neal also.

That said I believe with this new staff the run game all around for both will be better.

Pretty snarky post, IMO. Even with Lane getting suspended and coming back, he still split first team reps with Neal. That pretty much tells me he's better than Neal in the coach's eyes. If Neal was even equal to Lane, he would have taken the starting job months ago.

VN Store

Back