Offensive Tackle Depth Chart

It's that easy, huh?

Got it all figured out
If you think anything I said isn't true, feel free to retort. I never said it was easy. However it's no secret that Oline development has been an issue. We have wiffed on several guys that we have signed and other than Heard, we haven't been overly aggressive in the portal either.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
If you think anything I said isn't true, feel free to retort. I never said it was easy. However it's no secret that Oline development has been an issue. We have wiffed on several guys that we have signed and other than Heard, we haven't been overly aggressive in the portal either.

Heupel makes those decisions.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

SNAP counts now on roster sheet

Reactions: chuckiepoo
On the offensive line, Tennessee expects to have Lance Heard back for Arkansas. But it goes without saying that everyone will be following that closely over the next week.

John Campbell should be ready to go, but the challenge is managing him weekly. Tennessee has spent time this week cleaning up some things with Larry Johnson and Dayne Davis. Campbell hasn’t played more than 40 snaps in a game this year so you have to have a third tackle ready for sure and really need a fourth.

Jesse Perry and Bennett Warren have gotten plenty of work this week. Both have a ways to go, but both are being pushed just in case. Perry is ahead of Warren at this point, but it was certainly a good week of work for both freshmen tackles.

-Hubbs

Not retorting, but giving some color to this: OL is not an easy position to fill, even with the portal. If Heard works out, then that would be one of the biggest OL portal snags in the country, not just at TN. The portal is fickle: even if somebody who could fit your need gets into the portal, there is no guarantee you will get them even with NIL money. Experienced OL that fit the size, agility, and flexibility requirements to be successful in the SEC are very high in demand. Coaches have to decide with the NIL bagmen if a specific player is worth a premium, especially if you get into a bidding war with folks like Bama, UGA, and OSU. Plus, you have some coaches promising playing time to younger guys, even if they are not really ready because OL takes a year or two of development to even meet the size and strength needed to be successful.

Again, not retorting, but just like you said, it is not easy. Good OL in general are very difficult to come by and hard to develop. As we work our way up the food chain, we can start to snag some of those physically gifted individuals that only the top tier schools can grab.

On the offensive line, Tennessee expects to have Lance Heard back for Arkansas. But it goes without saying that everyone will be following that closely over the next week.

John Campbell should be ready to go, but the challenge is managing him weekly. Tennessee has spent time this week cleaning up some things with Larry Johnson and Dayne Davis. Campbell hasn’t played more than 40 snaps in a game this year so you have to have a third tackle ready for sure and really need a fourth.

Jesse Perry and Bennett Warren have gotten plenty of work this week. Both have a ways to go, but both are being pushed just in case. Perry is ahead of Warren at this point, but it was certainly a good week of work for both freshmen tackles.

-Hubbs

No disrespect to Dayne Davis, but I feel he is beyond "cleaning things up" with. He's a redshirt senior and if he hasn't figured things out by now, he never will. I appreciate his contributions to the team and I'm glad he's a VFL, but he's not an SEC level offensive tackle.

No disrespect to Dayne Davis, but I feel he is beyond "cleaning things up" with. He's a redshirt senior and if he hasn't figured things out by now, he never will. I appreciate his contributions to the team and I'm glad he's a VFL, but he's not an SEC level offensive tackle.

Its mind bottling how stubborn and/or infatuated with Dayne Davis this staff is.
He's had some negative plays for sure, BUT:

2023 - Made his first start of the year (RT) and did not allow a sack or hit in 49 offensive snaps against No. 1 Georgia (11/18)
2022 - Saw significant action at left tackle in road win at No. 25 LSU (10/8), playing 19 offensive snaps against the Tigers. We did ok in that game.
2021 - Made first-career start at No. 4 Alabama (10/23), playing 57 snaps at right tackle without committing a penalty or allowing a pressure.

He's a solid backup IMO. On the two sacks he gave up last week, the first one he was slow to recognize the blitzing LB and the second one was his first snap after switching to RT.

VN Store

Back