Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

It's a boring sport to me. If it weren't for the US playing I could care less. JMO

I'm sure I'll get berated for this post.

Agree...

I feel like a certain level of national pride keeps me slightly interested. Overall it's just an inferior sport though. No chance it ever surpasses real football and basketball and most likely not hockey and baseball either. Though the gap isn't as big with the last two.

Agree...

I feel like a certain level of national pride keeps me slightly interested. Overall it's just an inferior sport though. No chance it ever surpasses real football and basketball and most likely not hockey and baseball either. Though the gap isn't as big with the last two.
At just 19 years old it's the 3rd most attended sport in the US on average.

It'll never catch football and baseball but it doesn't have to.

Being a younger sport doesn't make it inferior. Inferiority is an opinion.

Agree...

I've played soccer. Athletically, it's no joke. Honestly the reason why I think it's so popular globally because it costs about $5 to play(exaggerated slightly). It's definitely one of the cheaper sports to play.

You're butt hurt, I get it. Most of my posts are in jest, obviously you don't pay much attention.

Plus I find most of the(you in particular in this case) responses entertaining.

You can always tell when someone is getting worked up when they pull out the "butt hurt" allegations. But props for actually getting "you're correct".

Reactions: 1 person

Link?

Not trying to be a d*** but I find that VERY hard to believe.

You can always tell when someone is getting worked up when they pull out the "butt hurt" allegations. But props for actually getting "you're correct".

Nice comeback. Lulz

You continue to play right into what I want you to, you realize that right?

My whole point is to get a rise out of people, which I obviously accomplished. Thank you :hi:

Last edited:

There's no doubt that it's on the rise in popularity in this country. I was mostly speaking for myself though.

For the record I could see it being more popular than baseball even, you're absolutely correct about football though

I would say it won't catch football and basketball for sure, but the others I'm not ruling out. Baseball's interest isn't nearly what it used to be.

Does this mean everybody is gonna stop pretending to care about soccer now?

A bunch of people on Facebook are already coming out with the "Soccer sucks anyways" comments.

Reactions: 1 person
The MLS, founded in 1996, is the third most attended sports league in America in the US. Overall, for the 137 matches included in an attendance report about the MLS, 2,534,045 fans attended the games. The stadiums on average have been operating at 82.2% of capacity. Six clubs (Seattle Sounders, Toronto FC, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps, Real Salt Lake and Sporting K.C.) have all reached the 100% capacity threshold. The average attendance of the MLS is 18470 people per match, more than more than both pro basketball and pro hockey and only behind the NFL (American football) and MLB (Baseball).

The US Soccer Boom Is Already Here - Forbes

Not sure if Forbes is a legit source...

VN Store

Back