Official Christmas Christmas Zone Thread

And Haywood Smokehouse! (I’m pretty sure this one is different from the Haywood that @joevol33 used to go on about - it’s only in Waynesville, Dillsboro, and Franklin.

Their food is amaaaaazing.

View attachment 605095
I have never been. It's on the list of places to try out though based on your recommendations 😃 😊 There's a lot that has changed.

Reactions: VolNExile
And Haywood Smokehouse! (I’m pretty sure this one is different from the Haywood that @joevol33 used to go on about - it’s only in Waynesville, Dillsboro, and Franklin.

Their food is amaaaaazing.

View attachment 605095
You need to drive down and do something about the construction on I40, 30 minutes to go 1 mile! And what's up with not posting which lane ends!? Signs kept saying use both lanes to merge, then you don't know which lane ends, until you get right to it. It's like, "surprise, you're in the wrong lane"!😡😡🤣

You need to drive down and do something about the construction on I40, 30 minutes to go 1 mile! And what's up with not posting which lane ends!? Signs kept saying use both lanes to merge, then you don't know which lane ends, until you get right to it. It's like, "surprise, you're in the wrong lane"!😡😡🤣
I haven’t had to deal with it (yet), but I’m pretty sure it’s at the site of the wildlife crossing. They’re trying to provide a safe corridor for deer, bear etc to travel to their usual grounds without having to dodge traffic on I-40. And it’s not just megafauna like deer and bears; it’s also smaller mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, butterflies, etc. And the occasional human.

I’m sure it won’t be anywhere this cool, but this is the international ideal (Eco-Link in Singapore). Trigger warning for Mikey: it’s Asian.

1703634132123.png
1703634347472.jpeg
1703634581378.png

I haven’t had to deal with it (yet), but I’m pretty sure it’s at the site of the wildlife crossing. They’re trying to provide a safe corridor for deer, bear etc to travel to their usual grounds without having to dodge traffic on I-40. And it’s not just megafauna like deer and bears; it’s also smaller mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, butterflies, etc. And the occasional human.

I’m sure it won’t be anywhere this cool, but this is the international ideal (Eco-Link in Singapore). Trigger warning for Mikey: it’s Asian.

View attachment 605171
View attachment 605174
View attachment 605176
There was a dead bear going east about 10 miles before you get out of the gorge

There was a dead bear going east about 10 miles before you get out of the gorge
Three weeks before Christmas, I was on my way home from church and saw three adult does (in three separate locations) dead by the median barrier on I-240/I-26 between the Patton Ave and Haywood Rd on-ramps, maybe a mile and a half stretch?

I guess they were traveling together, jumped down onto the westbound/“eastbound” lanes (NCDOT is nutso), panicked and scattered, and were hit and killed one by one. And this is a pretty urban stretch of road.

If we (humans) are going to spread into what used to be wilderness, wildlife corridors are a critical way of preserving at least some species for the future.

Argument: DOT$ for wildlife corridors help to prevent collisions, saving both travelers’ vehicles and clean up of carcasses by department personnel (dangerous and unpleasant duty).

Reactions: VolNExile
I got my son in a law a reel, and a tackle box for Christmas. We have plans for me to teach him how to not catch fish. He texted me thanking me for it, and said "I'm not a pro, but I will talk smack if I catch a bigger fish than you". I explained that's the first step in becoming a fisherman 👀🤣

I got my son in a law a reel, and a tackle box for Christmas. We have plans for me to teach him how to not catch fish. He texted me thanking me for it, and said "I'm not a pro, but I will talk smack if I catch a bigger fish than you". I explained that's the first step in becoming a fisherman 👀🤣
Don’t forget that fisherman’s ruler thing!

- oh wait, that’s just if you catch something. nm

VN Store

Back