Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

and how the heck do you have a basement? you are the basement. Do you have a trap door somewhere?

also may be a good way to hide a body.

Some buildings on Gay St have multiple levels below ground. There was a place that built speakers there in the 70s, and I got a look around. I remember seeing doors that had to lead out under the street; it would have been fascinating to explore.

Last edited:
Apparently the no1 Offensive lineman and no2 overall player at any position in this 2025 cycle David Sanders let slip about being a VOL commit this weekend. He and our other prominent 5* QB George have become quite good friends. George also slipped up this weekend and referred to Sanders as a fellow member of this years class. The popular theory is that Sanders is a silent UT commit at this point and only has 1 more visit this coming weekend to Ohio State. If he makes it thru that Ohio state visit unscathed he will definite àaaààßßwwèèèèèèèè

@LouderVol
You getting "blocked" in the Ukraine thread is funny. There wasn't anything antagonistic in your posts. Dude wouldn't last an hour in a food discussion.
Side note, I also find it funny that when someone puts another on ignore, they have to announce it in the thread. The Alien really enjoys that little maneuver. Pulled it in the FF yesterday a couple of times.

@LouderVol
You getting "blocked" in the Ukraine thread is funny. There wasn't anything antagonistic in your posts. Dude wouldn't last an hour in a food discussion.
Side note, I also find it funny that when someone puts another on ignore, they have to announce it in the thread. The Alien really enjoys that little maneuver. Pulled it in the FF yesterday a couple of times.
was it Ras again or the new guy? new guy always reminds me of the kind of crazy that Volprof had, just opposite side of the argument.

Some buildings on Gay St have multiple levels below ground. There was a place that built speakers there in the 70s, and I got a look around. I remember seeing doors that had to lead out under the street; it would have been fascinating to explore.
Yes, the road used to be much lower, especially near Gay and Summit Hill and Gay and Jackson. The road elevation is a couple stories higher up on the buildings than when constructed. The buildings were modified to have store fronts at “new” road level, and the old floors are now underground. It is pretty interesting to walk around and see it.

Yes, the road used to be much lower, especially near Gay and Summit Hill and Gay and Jackson. The road elevation is a couple stories higher up on the buildings than when constructed. The buildings were modified to have store fronts at “new” road level, and the old floors are now underground. It is pretty interesting to walk around and see it.
Why did they raise the road two stories?

Unrelated. I was thinking about your injury last night. Showed McRib your pics.

Do you know why the bit caught on the material? Dull bit? Not perpendicular? Wrong rpm? Something else?
I think it was the use case. I was using the tool without a guide to enlarge existing holes in a piece of wood. Due to working on both sides of the hole, while I tried to pay attention to bit rotation relative to tool path (you “push” into the cut don’t “pull” with the cut) the most logical assumption is I failed to maintain proper bit rotation direction relative to tool motion. I tried to reverse the wood to work on the far side but I’d guess I rode up too far on the sides that changed the rotation path.

Trust me I’ve pondered this a lot since I have to finish the last hole with that machine of maiming and death.

Unrelated. I was thinking about your injury last night. Showed McRib your pics.

Do you know why the bit caught on the material? Dull bit? Not perpendicular? Wrong rpm? Something else?
Oh btw to help with control going forward when using the weapon of death free hand in addition to the chain mail glove I bought this 3rd party larger base plate that adds control handles. I never want to have this happen again.

Oh btw to help with control going forward when using the weapon of death free hand in addition to the chain mail glove I bought this 3rd party larger base plate that adds control handles. I never want to have this happen again.

Good. I dont have a router table because I dont build furniture (yet?) But i have never used a Squirrely little sumbitch like that. Full size routers have a little weight to them and handles on both sides that help keep them seated. In fairness, mine doesnt have a plastic guard at the bit like yours does either. You definitely want handles on the sides though IMO. I have never tried to use a router with 1 hand. It would be helpful in some situations though. Routers are like tablesaws IMO...i just always assume both are trying to take off a finger or 3 and operate accordingly. If youre just cutting a clean hole, nothing fancy, you can always use a holesaw bit on a drill or even a dremel depending on the materials. Dremels like to break bits though if you get impatient or the material is really hard like tile. I get pissed when breaking $10 tile bits to plunge cut holes in the center of tiles for pipes in showers. The only way to cut round holes in the center of say 12inx12in tiles is tile bits or diamond holesaws though and both are expensive...

Why did they raise the road two stories?
Knoxville was originally built on a bit of a bluff. As the city expanded and Gay Street moved to the edge of the bluff, it used to have a steep drop down to the railyard off Jackson. The city built bridges over top the railroad, which led to a "rollercoaster" up and down for pedestrians and (then-new) vehicular traffic to cross the RR tracks.

Sometime after WWI, the city built the Jackson Ave. viaduct, (I think it was the largest public road project in Knoxville at the time), to cross the tracks without the rollercoaster effect. They built pillars to support the new structure, and built a new road up above the original road grade.

If you go down to the parking lot beside the old RR station in the Old City, you see the sloping road rising up towards the now-elevated Gay St. In the late 80's/early 90's, there was a club scene down under the viaduct. I don't know or remember if it was legal or clandestine, (don't ask why I don't remember :oops:). The old first story storefronts are still under there, along with any basements that existed at the time. From time to time there has been talk of developing into cafes/clubs/stores, but I don't know if anything will ever come of it.

It is a neat block of Knoxville history. I don't know how to access it now, or even if it is safe, but, back in the day.....it was pretty cool. Narrow, sloping, new, unknown, mysterious. Kinda like the rest of my college experience.

Good. I dont have a router table because I dont build furniture (yet?) But i have never used a Squirrely little sumbitch like that. Full size routers have a little weight to them and handles on both sides that help keep them seated. In fairness, mine doesnt have a plastic guard at the bit like yours does either. You definitely want handles on the sides though IMO. I have never tried to use a router with 1 hand. It would be helpful in some situations though. Routers are like tablesaws IMO...i just always assume both are trying to take off a finger or 3 and operate accordingly. If youre just cutting a clean hole, nothing fancy, you can always use a holesaw bit on a drill or even a dremel depending on the materials. Dremels like to break bits though if you get impatient or the material is really hard like tile. I get pissed when breaking $10 tile bits to plunge cut holes in the center of tiles for pipes in showers. The only way to cut round holes in the center of say 12inx12in tiles is tile bits or diamond holesaws though and both are expensive...
I was enlarging existing holes prior cut with a hole saw. My options were jigsaw, dremel multi tool, or handheld trim router machine of death. It seemed like a clear choice to me but in hindsight 🤷‍♂️

And the plastic guard is just a placebo feel good piece. No real protection and more to just keep the tool vertical.

I was enlarging existing holes prior cut with a hole saw. My options were jigsaw, dremel multi tool, or handheld trim router machine of death. It seemed like a clear choice to me but in hindsight 🤷‍♂️

And the plastic guard is just a placebo feel good piece. No real protection and more to just keep the tool vertical.

Another option would be a burr with a drill. If you just need to clean up a hole there are drum sanders with sleeves or emery flapper wheels that fit drill chucks. Those probably have less kickback than a router, but you really need to hold the piece of wood with some kind of clamp or vise.

The sad thing is most of us have probably done almost what you were trying to do and just got lucky - we tend to get smarter from trial and error than from reading safety stuff. I've had my fingers rapped a couple of times holding something that the drill grabbed out of my hand or the pliers I was using.

Knoxville was originally built on a bit of a bluff. As the city expanded and Gay Street moved to the edge of the bluff, it used to have a steep drop down to the railyard off Jackson. The city built bridges over top the railroad, which led to a "rollercoaster" up and down for pedestrians and (then-new) vehicular traffic to cross the RR tracks.

Sometime after WWI, the city built the Jackson Ave. viaduct, (I think it was the largest public road project in Knoxville at the time), to cross the tracks without the rollercoaster effect. They built pillars to support the new structure, and built a new road up above the original road grade.

If you go down to the parking lot beside the old RR station in the Old City, you see the sloping road rising up towards the now-elevated Gay St. In the late 80's/early 90's, there was a club scene down under the viaduct. I don't know or remember if it was legal or clandestine, (don't ask why I don't remember :oops:). The old first story storefronts are still under there, along with any basements that existed at the time. From time to time there has been talk of developing into cafes/clubs/stores, but I don't know if anything will ever come of it.

It is a neat block of Knoxville history. I don't know how to access it now, or even if it is safe, but, back in the day.....it was pretty cool. Narrow, sloping, new, unknown, mysterious. Kinda like the rest of my college experience.
very interesting. Thanks.

VN Store

Back