Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is yet another reason that this hire is paramount.

If I hear Mullen one more time, I'm going to lose it.

tenor.gif

Gruden could never be a bust . Hopefully he is as great as the former NFL head coach Jim Mora Jr

Mora Jr was sub .500 in the NFL and never won a Super Bowl. There is no comparison between the two on any level of football. And Mora Jr would not even be a mention if not for Michael Vick.

There's some logic in the reasoning for seeing Gruden as a risk, but in the end, I don't think it is valid.

First of all, the short term returns are going to be huge. There is no doubt that he would sell a ton of tickets this off-season and the hype behind the program would be huge. He'd pump a ton of money into the program right away. With most everyone else, the fan base would have a "wait and see" attitude.

I also think that the same hype would help recruiting in the short term. He would draw players early because he's Jon Gruden. He's one of the most recognized names in football on day one.

His name isn't going to carry him forever. But, I also think there's plenty of evidence out there that he is a strong football mind. He knows the game and can coach. His NFL resume should be enough evidence for that. So, if he has as much or more talent than every team he plays, he should win.

Once the program starts winning again, recruiting gets a lot easier. I know that Alabama works hard at recruiting, but it's also true that their success has them on autopilot to some degree. Guys who are offered there, usually take it. We can get back to that point with a few strong years of winning.

This program needs a big jump start back into relevancy. I don't think Gruden is the only answer to long term success, but he does put the program back in the spotlight on day one, and he has the resume to be successful.

I have to agree with you on your points. I just think he is a huge risk. The short term will be huge benefits just on name alone. But what if he flames? Say on the chance he is hired and we are throwing monster $$$ at him and he fails? Then what? We are financially strained for a long time. Worse yet, if he flames and other guys we didn't hire turn out to be successful, we look totally inept.

However, if he comes, keeps the initial enthusiasm going, wins big....we are a national power again. Recruits would be lined up to sign. Especially top QB talent.

I don't think anybody doubts his football IQ. I think what people doubt is his dedication to coaching right now. My hope with all of it is maybe he has stayed away from coaching for this long to be a more involved family man. But now his kids are older and he wants to coach again. A motivated Gruden is pretty darn good.

Say what you want. Just passing along info from someone I have been talking to.

Call me a troll, accuse me of faking the screenshot. I don't care. Here is what I have been told and I believe it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-13-14-43-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-11-13-14-43-19.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 26 people
From Brett McMurphy...

Jon Gruden in August: “If I became a college coach I would probably have you on probation w/in 4 or 5 weeks. Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. The recruiting … all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach”

Well, believe it or not this is not earth shattering news in here...

Guess you missed the part where he was joking around and being light hearted in the interview... Ever said something with a sense of humor??

Bye...

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back