Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

Her record would indicate that you are correct that she can coach. As to the recruiting, that is very much in question.

It helps to have the tradition and funds now to go get some players who fit her system. Hard to judge recruiting to Marshall and UT. She was saying she would have to learn to recruit at this level and in context it is totally different because you go after different players with different resources.

Reactions: Raebo
Do you think this? I rather do. I don't think he had much interest in trying to hire an established coach, and while I doubt we'll ever know, I'd bet
heavily that if he interviewed coaches other than Caldwell, it was a /very/ small number.

While Caldwell's Div. II record gets played up a lot, I've done some research and there are quite a few coaches who have amazing records in Div. II and III. I've mentioned a couple in other posts--including the Ashland College coach who's won 90+% of her games over 10 years, plus 2 titles. The Lubbock Christian coach who's won three national titles in the last several years. Nobody has hired them away. Caldwell does have the good Marshall season--with a veteran team, I saw--but it's a very thin background and pretty crazy hire for this job, period.
Confession, I should have used blue font. I am going with reports that White put out ‘feelers” to more established coaches and they declined. The Indiana coach seems like she would have been in the sweet spot.

Immediate reaction when I heard the name was ‘who the hell is Kim Caldwell?!?’ but then I did my research. This may well be one of Danny White’s greatest hires.

What sticks out to me about Kim Caldwell? Aside from the fact she has been highly successful at every stop; she has Sports Management degree with minor in human psychology. Deep dive into the background of many of the great coaches in history and you will find one common theme; great organizational leadership skills and many were highly studied in business management, sports management.

Listen to her talk for any amount of time and you will realize, she is highly intelligent and will command any room she is in.

Honestly, given our track record of bad hires prior to Danny White and let’s not forget our previous head football coach (the PE instructor); Danny has earned our full trust and support! All I’ve got to say is welcome to VolNation, Coach Caldwell and GO BIG ORANGE!!!

She won’t get any elite portal players and she has none to bring from her team. Our roster is not good enough to compete for a championship.
To be honest, we weren’t going to compete for championships over the next two or so yrs with Harper, neither.

Let’s give the new coach a couple or three yrs to see how she recruits. The talent will come if the recruits like her offensive system.

To be honest, we weren’t going to compete for championships over the next two or so yrs with Harper, neither.

Let’s give the new coach a couple or three yrs to see how she recruits. The talent will come if the recruits like her offensive system.
Nyla Brooks is elite, and she would attract other players.

Immediate reaction when I heard the name was ‘who the hell is Kim Caldwell?!?’ but then I did my research. This may well be one of Danny White’s greatest hires.

What sticks out to me about Kim Caldwell? Aside from the fact she has been highly successful at every stop; she has Sports Management degree with minor in human psychology. Deep dive into the background of many of the great coaches in history and you will find one common theme; great organizational leadership skills and many were highly studied in business management, sports management.

Listen to her talk for any amount of time and you will realize, she is highly intelligent and will command any room she is in.

Honestly, given our track record of bad hires prior to Danny White and let’s not forget our previous head football coach (the PE instructor); Danny has earned our full trust and support! All I’ve got to say is welcome to VolNation, Coach Caldwell and GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Roy Williams was an assistant under Dean Smith for ten years. 😭
Your right. But my point was when the big name coaches now were young i am sure the fan base wasn't pleased when they got hired. Because you do not know someone does not mean your not a good coach.

What a sexist ass comment.. gtfo
How so? Lady Vols are titans compared to the men's team, it's not even remotely close. They should be able to poach whoever they want, whenever they want. If the winningest women's basketball program of all time resorts to hiring a 1-year D1 coach, then one would expect sports with lesser histories to have even lower standards in the future.

KJH was underperforming, but this was not an upgrade nor the kind of hire a blueblood (THE blueblood) program makes.

You’re kidding me. No offense to what’s her name, but I thought Tennessee had suffered enough. This is absolutely atrocious. Mediocrity is welcomed at UT, obviously. Wonder how much money they saved with this hire? Because it HAS to be about the money.

Am I the only one excited by this? All she does is win.

Caldwell is 217-31 in eight seasons as a head coach -- earning eight NCAA berths across two divisions and winning seven total conference championships. Marshall was picked to finish ninth in the preseason Sun Belt media poll, but under Caldwell, the Thundering Herd averaged 85.3 points per game (fourth nationally) and forced 24.2 turnovers per game (second nationally).
Nope. I'm excited. Someone went out and hired a flat out winner. Great move to go after an obvious star BEFORE a major hires them. Now,.you never know, but winning is winning and If our AD really did the work, then I'm with it.
We hired the the 1st failed coach w NO research. NONE. Our lame duck WAD didn't have a choice. The 2nd was another emotional hire to placate the fan base. This one I trust the work was done!

I’m not concerned about her coaching. She’s proven she can coach and win. My only concern is recruiting. Will she stack her assistants with proven elite D1 recruiters? Time will tell.

We won’t have to wait long on how she’s going to do recruiting. She’s gonna HAVE to hit the portal hard for girls to fit her system.

Spear should thrive.

Gotta believe KC knocked the interview out of the park. She obviously had a plan and articulated that to Danny.

I’m gonna pull hard for her as there will be a certain block of fans who will be wanting her to fail and will be quite vocal at any slip up.
You haven’t been on this forum much. There was that block of fans for the last two hires, as well. Nothing different this time around,

VN Store

Back