Official VolNation PIC thread: Austin Peay

That is John Ward , "voice of the Vols" , legendary commentator for the Volunteers. Very beloved figure in our Vol History

That is John Ward , "voice of the Vols" , legendary commentator for the Volunteers. Very beloved figure in our Vol History

Ah, awesome! A bit of a Vin Scully then? Does he ever broadcast now? Thanks, brick by brick I am learning about the history of my beloved Vols.

Met Vin one time many years ago as well. John doesn't call our games any more, but did for many, many years. Some of his calls are legendary , and still evoke that crazy excitement when you heard them live. .. even now. He's loved by all of the Volnation

Met Vin one time many years ago as well. John doesn't call our games any more, but did for many, many years. Some of his calls are legendary , and still evoke that crazy excitement when you heard them live. .. even now. He's loved by all of the Volnation

I can imagine, wish I was around to witness. Will have to search some of his calls.

Was Vin as awesome as he seems?

I didn't speak to him much. This was in the early 80s , and at a large table with a bunch of Dodgers and Tommy LaSorda having dinner after a Dodgers / Reds game. We had dinner and listened to stories, but I was just in awe soaking it all in. It was surreal , and something I'll never forget

Ah, awesome! A bit of a Vin Scully then? Does he ever broadcast now? Thanks, brick by brick I am learning about the history of my beloved Vols.

He was the voice of the Vols (football) from 1967 thru 1998 NC game. He announced his retirement at the beginning of the '98 football season almost like he knew. I listened to him many games when I could not watch on TV and many times I turned off the sound on TV and listened to him anyway. He came from a different time and could make the words come alive in your mind!!! Hope you can hear some of his works.

Photo of the day:

9649752204_e82ecf785c_c.jpg

And a nice sky during the 2nd half.

BTC_v_pCYAAdWD-.jpg

I think that bottom pic is GOD watching his favorite team.

VN Store

Back