Oklahoma game

I hate putting a must win on the first SEC road game of the season with a young QB at the helm. A win would be nice but I don’t think it is a must win by any means.

If I had to pick a must win game I would say the Florida at home. A win in that game would hopefully build momentum for a tough stretch of home games.

The OK game is a must win without a doubt. The outcome of that game will set the tone for the season.

Reactions: DarkVolder
No way. Have you seen our schedule? 7-5? Get outta here with that nonsense. With the o-line we have coming back, the only big question mark is our secondary. So considering that and our schedule, 8-4 is the floor 10-2 is the ceiling.

If we lose the OK we are a mediocre to bad team. OK will not be that good, they will probably finish around 7-5 next season.

If we lose the OK we are a mediocre to bad team. OK will not be that good, they will probably finish around 7-5 next season.
Way too soon to say if we lose we’re mediocre to bad. If we lose, it’ll be because the away game woes are still a problem and/or our team still lacks talent in key areas (ie the secondary).

Reactions: cgrish
Isn't that part of being a mediocre to bad team?
Mediocre to bad teams are defined by how they lose, attitudes of the players, and their final record. So I’ll hold off defining a team as mediocre or bad based on one loss that hasn’t even occurred yet.

Reactions: sami
Mediocre to bad teams are defined by how they lose, attitudes of the players, and their final record. So I’ll hold off defining a team as mediocre or bad based on one loss that hasn’t even occurred yet.

You are what your record says you are. The rest are excuses.

2 of our opponents next year, NC ST and OU lose yesterday.
Im not sure if that is good or bad.

I heard one of their writers on a podcast talking about Oklahoma's first four games setting up as easy wins for Arnold next year, chalking up Tennessee as an easy win.

They will have 4 new lineman, which will all likely be portaled in. I don't get their confidence. I don't think the nation understands what we have returning. No team should be confident in playing us.

Their fanbase is quite annoying. I want Nico to destroy this team and I'll be talking a bunch of 💩 afterwards. I keep my receipts

You are what your record says you are. The rest are excuses.
Okay so if every player gets injured and we’re down to 4th stringers all around but manage 8-4 on the season, you’d define that at mediocrity? Because I’d look at that as very successful considering the circumstances. Sure records are important, but there are also extenuating circumstances that should be considered.

Next year, if we go 8-4, I would look at that as mediocre since 8-4 should be the floor. But if we go 9-3 or 10-2, I would consider that exceeding expectations. Thus, losing to OU doesn’t actually determine whether we’re mediocre or not because we can still go 10-2, 9-3, or heck, even 11-1. The schedule we have sets us up nicely for a playoff bid if we win the games we’re supposed to.

If the goal is to make the 12 team playoff next year, 2 losses is pretty much the max. Basing this on who would have qualified this year if the format were in place. With the schedule we have next year, Oklahoma is a must win.

Lose the OK game and we are 7-5 and at best 8-4.
Yep it’s a huge early we lose that one then very likely we lose to Florida , Bama and Georgia that’s 4 SEC losses right there and don’t forget Kentucky, Miss. St and a road trip to Arky

Part of the messaging effort to push out Heupel next year and bring in Schiano. You have to hammer it early, stay on it.

No. Don't be like that.

Personally I think the team is going to be 2022 level good or even better. Hence why I don't get the concern over the OK game.

Okay so if every player gets injured and we’re down to 4th stringers all around but manage 8-4 on the season, you’d define that at mediocrity? Because I’d look at that as very successful considering the circumstances. Sure records are important, but there are also extenuating circumstances that should be considered.

Next year, if we go 8-4, I would look at that as mediocre since 8-4 should be the floor. But if we go 9-3 or 10-2, I would consider that exceeding expectations. Thus, losing to OU doesn’t actually determine whether we’re mediocre or not because we can still go 10-2, 9-3, or heck, even 11-1. The schedule we have sets us up nicely for a playoff bid if we win the games we’re supposed to.

I don't have anything intelligent to say so I'm just going to make up wild stupid scenarios. (Should have been what you wrote)

26 / 45 with 2 TD's and 3 picks. Most here would not be happy with that. Lets hope this tempers expectations for Nico. Same situation as Oklahoma QB.

Nico is in a no win situation with our fanbase. If he plays well, people think he will never lose a game and be better than Peyton, if he doesn't play well, he will be a bust and people will want him benched.
I assure you our fanbase gets it. Nobody is expecting him to be perfect.

I don't have anything intelligent to say so I'm just going to make up wild stupid scenarios. (Should have been what you wrote)
Oh, I can play that game too! “Having nothing for a rebuttal, I’m just going to resort to attacking your intelligence in hopes you back off.” Should have been what you wrote. Must be miserable being so negative. Enjoy the new year!

VN Store

Back