Oklahoma would kill to trade coaches with us

After watching their QB in the bowl game, I was really underwhelmed. I think losing Lebby will at OC will hurt them as well and their offense will take a step back as a whole. I see them as a 7-5 or 8-4 team at best.

We tend not to play to our potential on the road, but I like our chances with Nico at QB. He is too dynamic to keep under wraps the whole game. Arizona who ran a semi-up tempo offense had plenty of success against OU. I see us shredding their defense in the run game and in the least, outpacing their offense. Plus our D-Line against OU's QB who likes to hold the ball too long is a matchup greatly in our favor.

I think we can beat anyone, I also think we can lose to some teams we should beat. Not much has to go wrong for a quality team like OU to beat you in their house.
This is the outlook or attitude of most Tennessee Football fans I talk with. We can beat anyone, including Georgia, but can lose to several teams on the schedule if we don't play well. Most are thinking 8-4 is the floor.

Championship coaches win toss-up games.
I think we are at a point where the kids expect to win.
Norman, OK is just another stadium in our conference.

Championship coaches lose toss up games.

These “if we don’t beat Oklahoma he isn’t a championship coach!” narratives are dumb

Tennessee should beat Oklahoma this year. I don’t think it will be particularly close. Our D line should completely disrupt that offense.

I’m considering going to that game, so I hope you’re right. But that’s also a ten win team that beat Texas last season. So we will see

Reactions: volfanhill
Football is fuzzy.

The ball is a weird shape. It bounces funny. Sometimes the refs bounce even funnier.

Teams that should win, lose. Every weekend.

The Vols are on a strong upward slope, and if Nico comes out blazing, it will be a leap forward. Not back to 2022. Forward, BEYOND 2022. Into championship football.

But even championship programs lose games they should win, from time to time.

Oklahoma is one of those matches we should not take for granted. Particularly in their house.

But what the hell,

1721741329253.png

Go Vols!

I think OU's defense could be really good. They are returning a lot and have good depth on that side of the ball. Even though our D could give them trouble, I still feel the advantage goes to the home team in this game.

Getting a win there would be huge.

Championship coaches lose toss up games.

These “if we don’t beat Oklahoma he isn’t a championship coach!” narratives are dumb
Heupel is a Championship coach. I never said Heupel should be judged on whether he beats OU.
Our teams have been outcoached more times than not during the decade prior to Heupel.
Today, I expect Heupel to outcoach the competition most of the time.

The 2024 SEC is a meatgrinder, but not a single elimination playoff. It would take a historic season for a team to make it through the SEC with 1-loss.

Like I said, Norman is just another stadium in our conference. It won't break this team to drop one to OU early.

This is the outlook or attitude of most Tennessee Football fans I talk with. We can beat anyone, including Georgia, but can lose to several teams on the schedule if we don't play well. Most are thinking 8-4 is the floor.
Yeah I think Nico is ultra talented but he’s young as well. He’s going to make mistakes. Entirely new secondary also young but more athletic than we’ve had in the past.

After watching their QB in the bowl game, I was really underwhelmed. I think losing Lebby will at OC will hurt them as well and their offense will take a step back as a whole. I see them as a 7-5 or 8-4 team at best.

We tend not to play to our potential on the road, but I like our chances with Nico at QB. He is too dynamic to keep under wraps the whole game. Arizona who ran a semi-up tempo offense had plenty of success against OU. I see us shredding their defense in the run game and in the least, outpacing their offense. Plus our D-Line against OU's QB who likes to hold the ball too long is a matchup greatly in our favor.
They are still very talented but I think you bring up the biggest point. Losing Lebby. Jeff Lebby is one of the top tier offensive minds in college football. He worked under Heupel and Briles and is one of the top play callers in the country. That’s not easy to replace.

Didn't Venables and Napier thumb their noses at the Tennessee job?
Neither of them got the chance.

Dan White offered the job to just two people: James Franklin and Josh Heupel. Anyone else the AD's office may have contacted, those were just feelers. You can't thumb a nose at a feeler. It's just a feeler.

And, btw, I vaguely remember Libby being one of the people feelers were put out to. Dunno if the other was Venables, Napier, or someone else.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back