Old, But Good Article on Jalen Hurd and Butch Jones Conflict

But Hurd did it anyway, and Tennessee running backs coach Robert Gillespie chastised him for doing so. Hurd spoke with Butch Jones about the situation. According to Hurd, he signed on to Jones’ idea of not disclosing the concussion to the media. Instead, Jones would say that he had suffered a lower-extremity injury because a concussion would raise more red flags to NFL scouts.
That's pretty wild. Respect to Gillespie.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Remember, this is one side of the story. The other is that he quit on the team DURING the SC game because of his usage.

Truth be known, probably aspects of Truth from both sides...
Reminds me of something my Dad has said for years: "There's his story, your story, and the truth is somewhere in between."

Remember, this is one side of the story. The other is that he quit on the team DURING the SC game because of his usage.

Truth be known, probably aspects of Truth from both sides...
Truth is Butch misled a lot of players. Hurd felt like his health was being affected. Hurd should’ve stuck it out then went to the draft. Butch always told people what he thought they wanted to hear then did what was best for himself. Add in the fact Hurd’s mom is a bit ahem “nutty”. All parties were in the wrong on this one but Butch started the dumpster fire.

Heupel if he had that same team likely wins a national title with Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Barnett, etc; Butch couldn’t even win the SEC East. Remarkable collection of talent due to instate talent being so good and having some legacy players recruited as well. And we did nothing bc we had a moron as coach. Butch also passed on Lawrence during this period as well. Pruitt may go down as the worst Vol coach but Butch did the least with the most talent.

Butch was so pissed when he was fired that he did everything he could to keep drawing from Tennessee the max amount while still sticking it to Tennessee. The pic of him smoking a cigar with Bama after they beat his player at Tennessee pretty much sums up him as a human being. Pruitt I thought was a great person coming in but I know a lot now that has changed my opinion or at least made it more nuanced. Dooley and Pruitt wanted to build Tennessee the program, Butch always wanted to build Butch.
Whatever beef I might have with Pruitt, at least he recruited Hooker and Hyatt. I will give him credit for that

Reactions: EasternVol
He was my fav rb since Travis Stephens. Damn shame butch screwed it up with him

Him signaling to the GA defender to bring it on is iconic.

I was upset with Hurd over what happened that year, especially after seeing Dobbs go to him in the sideline and plead with him, or at least that's what it looked like. There was a lot on the line in that game and Hurd sure looked like he straight refused to play. In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious that Butch butchered that whole situation. Such a shame.

And looking back at all the jokes about how he should have been a tight end... He probably could have been an all-time great TE.

He went to HS right near where I am, I heard a story that AL was recruiting him and Saban told him over the phone that they'd love to have him but he wouldn't play RB, he'd be a TE and that's why he ended up coming to UT.

Sort of like how Pruitt sent QB Michael Penix packing to the Washington Huskies? Trying to remember what game it is that he is playin Monday Night? 🤔
I forgot about that one. Butch and Pruitt wow No wonder Tennessee football was in a mess. Not counting Dooley who one year did not recruit any O-linemen.

Last edited:
Sounds like he proved what he was talking about running out of the I- formation was a better use of his skill and talent. When you line a guy up and constantly use him as a battering ram over and over it gets old and takes a toll. 456 carries in two years is a lot. You can be hate filled toward Hurd. We are in a better place today. Let it go, see it for what it is. He made a decision that he felt was right for him.
My comment was more towards how Kiffin handled Judkins over the same position Q took.

I was about to say that that article is definitely not a positive for Hurd. If he didn't fit, fine, but he's bitching about being a power back and wanting to run out of the I-formation in one thought then in the next complaining that his body couldn't handle hard running. How does that all add up?
Exactly what I was thinking. Jones knew this was festering and could have easily remedied w AK getting ½ the touches it seems.

My Lord, Penix dodged a battleship sized bullet there.

You're not wrong. But he would have been great under Heupel as well. We may not have gotten to see Hooker shine, but we also might not have taken Milton.

And I'm not trashing Milton here, just discussing alternate history scenarios.

Reactions: livefaith
Butch is a snake and always was. I’m good friends with Vic Wharton to this day and good lord I’m glad Vic realized how big of a snake Butch was and left fast.
You and your girl ever double date with him and Dillon Bates fiancé?

Sounds like he proved what he was talking about running out of the I- formation was a better use of his skill and talent. When you line a guy up and constantly use him as a battering ram over and over it gets old and takes a toll. 456 carries in two years is a lot. You can be hate filled toward Hurd. We are in a better place today. Let it go, see it for what it is. He made a decision that he felt was right for him.
The workload prolly wasn’t the biggest hindrance. The slow developing RPO wasn’t ideal for any back and least of all a downhill running type. Defenses teed off on him and he had to fight for every yard back to the LOS and beyond. That was why Kamara and Kelly looked like revelations against A&M…and that was the end of his time in Knoxville imo.

The workload prolly wasn’t the biggest hindrance. The slow developing RPO wasn’t ideal for any back and least of all a downhill running type. Defenses teed off on him and he had to fight for every yard back to the LOS and beyond. That was why Kamara and Kelly looked like revelations against A&M…and that was the end of his time in Knoxville imo.
You are correct. Jh had what seemed like 90% stuff rate at the LOS. How he got so many yards is amazing. Imagine what he could do in the past two seasons with our wide splits and #s mismatches. 😯

Reactions: butchna and Tombo7
A good reminder that Jalen Hurd's body was beginning to suffer even before he left for Baylor. In retrospect he never had a chance in the NFL.

Glad you posted that. It does show another side of it. But, even Hurd admits he made a bid decision. There is nothing wrong with being held accountable for your bad decisions. Too many take it to an extreme.

VN Store

Back