Orange Helmets

I liked the look of them, but that absolutely pathetic failure of heart, character, and mental toughness that unfolded when we wore them against South Carolina (with a playoff berth on the line) just ruined it for me.

And, yeah, I know the helmets didn’t aide the failure. But dang … that loss sticks with me as badly as the 2001 SEC Championship game loss to LSU and last season’s vomit-inducing failure against a bad UF team.

I liked the look of them, but that absolutely pathetic failure of heart, character, and mental toughness that unfolded when we wore them against South Carolina (with a playoff berth on the line) just ruined it for me.

And, yeah, I know the helmets didn’t aide the failure. But dang … that loss sticks with me as badly as the 2001 SEC Championship game loss to LSU and last season’s vomit-inducing failure against a bad UF team.
Unfortunately, those helmets and that loss will forever be tied together. That’s why I don’t care if I ever see him again.

I do understand that the helmets did not cause the gameplay, but superstition is very prevalent in sports and the orange helmets are now bad juju as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: feathersax
Didn’t think much of them. Mebbe try a chrome look and recalibrate.

I didn’t like them and it has nothing to do with how we played that night. Personally I didn’t think they looked very good.

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
I think the orange helmets, if done right, would look good.

I got the feeling they were rushed and didn't match in color to the rest of the uniform...granted getting a hard surface to color match a softer surface is very difficult, but it's done with other teams and brighter colors.

They either need to take the time to color match correctly or like someone said above, do a chrome like treatment so the color match wouldn't matter.

I wanna see an all black uni, with orange helmets (black T). Wanna look like this guy
eIU4Ki.gif

Reactions: SpookyAction
They either need to take the time to color match correctly or like someone said above, do a chrome like treatment so the color match wouldn't matter.

I (somewhat halfheartedly) like the orange helmets, but I will absolutely riot if someone tries to put a chrome orange helmet on the vols.

Reactions: DonDiego
Personally I liked them. Away games with white shirts and orange pants only. However, we can't get past that absurd USCjr. collapse till we redeem them.! Say maybe the at OU or UGA game this season...

Vols drop a fiddy burger on them ha. All will be forgotten and love will return.

GBO

Will we ever see the orange helmets again. Sure USC wore us out that night, but the orange helmets had nothing to do with the poor play. They were really sharp better the the black helmets. I guess there’s some superstition going around in Knoxville.
Call it a mojo or superstition or whatever you like but I hope to never see those orange helmets again. Send ‘em all to Florida.

Reactions: Alto1

VN Store

Back