Orange Helmets

They need to bring them back and wear them against a cupcake. We started doing that with the all orange and it kind of worked out the superstition out of them being bad luck.

I personally don't believe in them being cursed, I think we would have lost regardless that night. it's not like the orange helmets caused it.
I agree, but you know how a fair number of our fellow fans, they got superstitious minds.

We can't go on together
With suspicious minds (With superstitious minds)
And we can't build our dreams
On superstitious minds

So if an old orange uni appears now and then to say hello
Would I still see superstition in your eyes?
Here we go again, asking why am I'm back again
You can't see the tears are real, I'm cryin' (Yes, I'm cryin')

We can't go on together
With superstitious minds (With superstitious minds)
And we can't build our dreams

On superstitious minds

I guess there is no color that we can wear given that we have lost games in every uniform combo possible. What did they wear in the SEC championship against LSU? Can't wear that again. What about all the years against Bama or Florida, or heck, what did the have on when Rutgers came to town and beat us?

Nike has already did away with our original orange.
False. I have a game worn football jersey from every year since 1988 and, with the exception of some fading from washing, they’re all exactly the same color. From Russell Athletic to Sports Belle to adidas to Nike, it’s all the same. The lone exception is the “Techfit” super-stretchy jerseys from the back half of the 2010 season. The material they used didn’t take the dye the way it should have and it appeared lighter than it should have. It was corrected by the 2011 opener.

How the different materials have looked on TV can vary, but in person they’re all the same.

Additionally, I was on the branding committee in 2014/15 when we did the transition to Nike and they did not change the orange at all. It’s still Pantone 151C.

Reactions: jhcrane14
I think they would look better if they were matte orange. Under the lights the orange helmets look way off from the uniforms
We tested a matte orange helmet in 2014 and again in 2016 to add to the rotation and they looked even more off from the orange on the jersey and pants than the glossy ones did once we put them under the stadium lights.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
Will we ever see the orange helmets again. Sure USC wore us out that night, but the orange helmets had nothing to do with the poor play. They were really sharp better the the black helmets. I guess there’s some superstition going around in Knoxville.
Hear me out…Orange helmets, black jerseys, and orange pants. Would look great for the late October game.

Checkered helmet is intriguing. Could be gaudy or really unique...possibly both.
That would look like the sexy dazzle warship camouflage.

Might make it hard for the QB to throw accurately to his receivers. It could make our WRs, QB, RBs and defenders difficult to single out for the other team, like zebras, and challenge any rangefinders on periscopes during games.
dazzle-camouflage-world-war-i%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Those in the 50s and 60s. Before the big uniform and shoe manufacturers started making all the rules.
I just looked up some pictures from back then and I think you are a hundred percent correct. To me the 50’s ones seemed a little darker more similar to what we have today, but the 60’s ones were considerably lighter. I like the 60’s one best

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I liked the orange helmets. Yeah, we got destroyed in that game but we looked good doing it! :D

I hope we wear them again but maybe it could be for an easier game like Homecoming this year.

I don’t want to see them again unless they do a true orange out. Orange helmet, orange jersey, orange pants.

The orange helmets were awful. Throw em away. I love some of the alternate stuff we have done but those looks were still unique to us. Wearing the orange helmets we looked like Clemson out there. Yuck.
And Tennessee in black looks like Oklahoma State.

VN Store

Back