Oregon vs Virginia observations

Vols033

Momma said knock you out
Since I may be one of the few vol fans that actually chose to watch the ducks play over USCjr and Georgia, I'll put my two cents in on some observations of mine.

1. Don't look at the points they score and think that Oregon physically dominates their opponents like bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay. Good gap control will stop the big plays (see Stanford last year where they scored 14 and lost).

2. They suck between the tackles. Anything they get between the tackles is a result of linebackers over compensating and trying to get outside to stop Thomas. Thomas himself can't run between the tackles. He tried a few times against Virginia, once even running into his own blocker and getting blasted. If our corners can funnel Thomas back inside to our linebackers, he won't get outside, and won't hurt you.

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

Having said all of this, Oregon is #2 for a reason. They make playing disciplined defense a priority. You don't have to have elite speed to stop them. You have to have a smart defense with good gap control. Virginia was completely out of position several times Saturday, which led to the highlight reel and the lopsided score. Our defense has done a good job of maintaining gap control through the first 2 games. If we have the discipline to do it in Eugene, a lot of people will be shocked at how unimpressive Oregon's offense can look.

Reactions: 42 people
Agree with all of that. I saw a good bit of that game and was surprised they didn't throw it better.

Reactions: 1 person
Big Dan is going to be a big part of the game plan. We need constant penetration from him. Brent Brewer's speed and Maggit(I hope he plays) on the edge is going to be key. They need to keep contain AJ will have to lay the wood on Mariota and make him think twice about running that option.

Setting the edge against the run is going to be a huge deal in this game. They got outside really easily against UVa and that created big plays. If we can force them back inside to McCullers and Johnson, as well as keep contain on the back side, we can make this interesting. If not it could get really ugly.

Good op. The only other big key is AJ Johnson HAS GOT to be in better positions on the shallow drag routes.

Reactions: 8 people
It will be nice to have Maggit back along with Jacques Smith, who can rotate with J Williams at the end spot to keep fresh legs. Bend but don't break (contain) should be the plan in the secondary.

Setting the edge against the run is going to be a huge deal in this game. They got outside really easily against UVa and that created big plays. If we can force them back inside to McCullers and Johnson, as well as keep contain on the back side, we can make this interesting. If not it could get really ugly.

Corners gotta do their job. This is where we'll see how good Coleman an Sutton can be from a run support perspective.

Agreed. I watched big chunks of it too and had many of the same observations. But prepare to be blasted because many here have already decided that any discussion of anything that does not begin, end, and consist of "we're going to be destroyed by Oregon" is offensive to their great "football intelligence".

UT has speed at OLB which should help if they'll play disciplined. Trust Jones with that one. As a group, Sapp, Brewer, and Maggitt will be among the fastest OLB's Oregon has seen.

IMO, the biggest thing is to flatten them out. Stretch plays out and let the pursuit catch up. They hit those big plays when they find lanes and cut up into them quickly. The DL has to dominate and force everything to go lateral. They have to keep back side contain when that happens and pursue to the ball under control.

It is almost like a kick return defense mentality. Don't give up your lane then go make the tackle.

The most impressive thing about Oregon's attack to me is their downfield blocking. Their WR's are great blockers. DB's have to get off blocks. LB's cannot be blocked by WR's.

Reactions: 13 people
Big Dan is going to be a big part of the game plan. We need constant penetration from him. Brent Brewer's speed and Maggit(I hope he plays) on the edge is going to be key. They need to keep contain AJ will have to lay the wood on Mariota and make him think twice about running that option.

Sapp looked really good this weekend too. The LB that needs to step up IMO is AJ. He blew several coverages on crossing routes and seems like he's reacting a little late. Maggitt needs to be 100% to play against Oregon, for sure.

We will have to be able to pass the ball and control the ball. Our defense won't be enough on its own, as evident by WKU getting some big points before half because our offense couldn't stay on the field.

There were some huge gaps in coverage a few times last game, that's gotta be fixed. Hopefully we keep it close and respectable until the fourth qrtr and maybe, just maybe we can pull out this win!

Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people

I hope you are correct as he seemed to lay down last week

Corners gotta do their job. This is where we'll see how good Coleman an Sutton can be from a run support perspective.

Coleman has looked good in run support, of course it wasn't against a team of this caliber so TIFWIW. In a perfect world I'd like to see Maggitt or a DE blowing up the edge so it doesn't even get to the DBs.

They aren't unbeatable that's for sure, I worry that our youth in the secondary is going hurt us. Our line play has been fantastic, I really don't have much to complain about in the front seven except the soft zone the LBs keep playing. Other than that the pursuit of the front seven has been impressive, WKU really struggled to pick up yards on the ground most of the game and that back of theirs is supposed to be one of the better backs we face all year. I still don't think we are going to win but I'd bet a shiney nickel the game is a lot closer than most are going to predict.

It will be nice to have Maggit back along with Jacques Smith, who can rotate with J Williams at the end spot to keep fresh legs. Bend but don't break (contain) should be the plan in the secondary.

Jordan Williams has been impressive to me. He plays hard and doesn't quit until the whistle blows. Miller doesn't seem to have the speed to play pass rush DE but he has hustled snap to whistle too. I love seeing the whole DL turn and sprint in the direction of the play when the ball is thrown.

Reactions: 3 people
Layed down the wood, u mean. He was getting some major push and creating opportunities for sacks for the ends on passes. Dan looks way better than last year.

Yeah, I didn't see that either. Most of the plays where I focused on him, he pushed one or even two blockers back into the backfield without giving up his gaps.

That said, I really like the way Saulsberry has played as well. And Hood's detractors??? Where did they go?

Even Couch has started to get into it.

Reactions: 7 people
Agreed. I watched big chunks of it too and had many of the same observations. But prepare to be blasted because many here have already decided that any discussion of anything that does not begin, end, and consist of "we're going to be destroyed by Oregon" is offensive to their great "football intelligence".

UT has speed at OLB which should help if they'll play disciplined. Trust Jones with that one. As a group, Sapp, Brewer, and Maggitt will be among the fastest OLB's Oregon has seen.

IMO, the biggest thing is to flatten them out. Stretch plays out and let the pursuit catch up. They hit those big plays when they find lanes and cut up into them quickly. The DL has to dominate and force everything to go lateral. They have to keep back side contain when that happens and pursue to the ball under control.

It is almost like a kick return defense mentality. Don't give up your lane then go make the tackle.

The most impressive thing about Oregon's attack to me is their downfield blocking. Their WR's are great blockers. DB's have to get off blocks. LB's cannot be blocked by WR's.

Their receivers remind me of Nebraska's back in the option days. They are outstanding blockers.

We will have to limit our 3 and out offensive drives. You have to score with them. We will give up the big plays occasionally, so we need to come up with some turnovers (a la W. Kentucky). I think that it could go either way (route or good game). The one thing that I will not expect...is us giving up if we get down early. I expect them to finish the game regardless of the score.

Good analysis, OP. In order to be able to contain oregon, your LBs have to be able to run sideline to sideline well. I'm just not that confident our group and the depth at that position can do that.

Anyone know when our team is arriving there? I know going east coast to west is easier than west to east but still gonna be something to see if travel effects our guys early on.

I only saw portions of Oregon's game against Stanford last year. But, IIRC, Stanford played aggressive, disciplined defense that followed a similar strategy as outlined by the OP. And they held the Ducks to 14 points, by far OR's lowest scoring game and only loss of 2012.

Now, I'm not saying UT is in the same category as Stanford's team last year. But, they it appears they created a good blueprint to follow.

Since I may be one of the few vol fans that actually chose to watch the ducks play over USCjr and Georgia, I'll put my two cents in on some observations of mine.

1. Don't look at the points they score and think that Oregon physically dominates their opponents like bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay. Good gap control will stop the big plays (see Stanford last year where they scored 14 and lost).

2. They suck between the tackles. Anything they get between the tackles is a result of linebackers over compensating and trying to get outside to stop Thomas. Thomas himself can't run between the tackles. He tried a few times against Virginia, once even running into his own blocker and getting blasted. If our corners can funnel Thomas back inside to our linebackers, he won't get outside, and won't hurt you.

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

Having said all of this, Oregon is #2 for a reason. They make playing disciplined defense a priority. You don't have to have elite speed to stop them. You have to have a smart defense with good gap control. Virginia was completely out of position several times Saturday, which led to the highlight reel and the lopsided score. Our defense has done a good job of maintaining gap control through the first 2 games. If we have the discipline to do it in Eugene, a lot of people will be shocked at how unimpressive Oregon's offense can look.

Excellent perspective. Haven't seen them play and I appreciate the feedback!

We will have to limit our 3 and out offensive drives. You have to score with them. We will give up the big plays occasionally, so we need to come up with some turnovers (a la W. Kentucky). I think that it could go either way (route or good game). The one thing that I will not expect...is us giving up if we get down early. I expect them to finish the game regardless of the score.

Can't score with Oregon. Ball control is what we need. If we try to score with Oregon, it will get ugly.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone know when our team is arriving there? I know going east coast to west is easier than west to east but still gonna be something to see if travel effects our guys early on.

I heard their flight leaves around 5 on Friday eastern time, which concerns me. They would arrive later that night, maybe 7,8 or so Oregon time? Then will be up early for an early kickoff. I think getting there Thursday would be better but I know nothing about that stuff. JMO

I think the style of offense the WKU played was a great scrimmage for us. I was concerned that the boys would be thinking ahead to Oregon and get caught flat footed. Coach Jones didn't let that happen and will definitely have them fired up this week. But, as we all knew, a Petrino-coached offense will always move the ball and try to break the big play. Several times we had one on one situations with DBs having to stop a big play and they handled it pretty well. Open field tackles are night and day better than last year, imo. Yes, Oregon has greater overall speed than WKU, but I'm encouraged by our ability to react and stop those big plays. I may be discouraged after Saturday, but right now I'm encouraged.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back