Our offensive woes are not just a Talent...

Finally someone who has a clue. It's already obvious this staff is a disaster and we need to wake up to that. After next season when we suck even worse we better fire them all and hart too. This is his fault after all.

You sir, have not the slighest clue. You should stop posting. Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Our team makes mistakes in all phases of the game. Coverage (as in recognizing who to cover), taking poor angles and tackling are all problems on defense.

On offense, Worley doesn't trust what he sees. Wuerffel & Grossman read the coverage (Worley hasn't yet) & threw the ball to the correct receiver, and more importantly, on time. Worley doesn't really know defenses, and at this point maybe he never will. A qb needs to confirm his pre-snap read post snap and deliver a confident throw into what will be an opening in the defense. The next time Worley does that will be the first. You can see him hold the ball to long when he has an open receiver. By the time he finally does throw the ball, the receiver has ran through the open area and now is close to another defender's area. We are WAY too easy to cover as long as our qb's can't actually quarterback our team.

Both qbs played in the league that you mentioned. You think Worley will? Boom, I dropped the mic and walked away.

I doubt that even Steve Spurrier could do much with Justin Worley.

Insinuating that Rex Grossman, who should've won the Heisman in 2001, is on par with Justin Worley on a talent level is a little bit beyond ridiculous. Rex might not have been a great NFL quarterback, but he was probably the best college QB to play under Spurrier. Substitute the 2001 version of Rex Grossman for Justin Worley and we're probably an 8- or 9- win team, with a legit shot at beating Florida, Georgia, AND South Carolina.

The fact that Worley broke just about every South Carolina High School passing record and Spurrier didn't even offer him a scholarship should tell you all you need to know.

The fact that Worley broke just about every South Carolina High School passing record and Spurrier didn't even offer him a scholarship should tell you all you need to know.

Yep. And it doesn't matter what one did in HS, this is college. Just like great college athletes don't always do as good in the league

It is too early to tell what the problem is. Is it the coaching, the lack of talent/depth, or the last 4 years of recruiting?

We will know more in 2 years. Until then I am 100% behind this staff, and I am still hopeful they will get it done.

You are not going to beat the years of consistent quality coaching, practicing, and recruiting of Oregon in 3 months. Wasn't going to happen unless they imploded or were overrated. Oregon was neither of those things.

We played pretty mistake free ball, and we didn't hurt ourselves with penalties. This team remained poised under pressure, and to me that says a lot. They stuck to their coaching, which is something we haven't seen for a while. They made Oregon make plays consistently, and didn't give up the big plays for TD's. Oregon just executed. We had to play basically our second string wide receivers. It was a good work day for the Vols, which we desperately needed.
This week against Florida is we're we will see if this team is warriors or not. Will they rise to the challenge and being their pride to the swamp. I am interested to see what this team is made of. We are about to find out.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. Losing to the number two team in the country who has a ridiculous talent advantage is a major red flag. Should fire Butch today and save ourselves from years of suffering.

Turn it around in three years or else, CBJ has my support til then. That should be plenty of time to recruit the players to fit his system.

I'm really pulling for Butch (we all should be), but that was a combination of talent and horrible pay calling. It is not a read-"option" when the QB will never keep the ball. Toss this play completely from your playbook until you have a QB who has at least a 1% chance of keeping it.

It's almost indefensible to keep calling that play Saturday...

And there's the problem- trying to integrate a roster built for passing and downhill running into a spread option team. I agree it's silly to run that fake stuff when Worley's never gonna keep it. And having Lane run sideways before heading to the line is goofy.

Butch is putting square pegs into round holes with this team. If this were his only year, I'd say it was a gross mismanagement of talent. But the sooner he implements his system, the better.

Maybe if they ran the I formation and pounded downhill they'd look better. But it would just be putting off the inevitable another year. Butch runs the spread option, and he doesn't have the personnel this year to do it effectively.

It's tough but better now than later is, I guess, the thought process.

issue. The coaches deserve a LOT of blame for the offensive debacle on Saturday. We have a veteran OL with some good players--should be the strength of the unit. We have two experienced backs who are better than decent. Worley had started games before this year. Yes, we are inexperienced at WR--but EVERY TEAM is plays freshmen in certain positions. Every team plays young guys.

Coaching is a big part of this game, gents. Spurrier lit up the SEC with his passing game for a decade--and how many productive NFL QBs and WRs came out of his system? Very few--no QBs, and a tiny number of WRs. Wuerffel--prolific college passer--short-armed the ball and had no chance of being a NFL QB, even though he hung around the league for few years. Grossman has also hung around but not even sure he played for Spurrier, and just not all that talented. It was all Spurrier's coaching. He hammered home basic principles to his guys--if you run a good 12-yard hook pattern and the QB delivers the ball on time, you have a completion--it's not complicated. Croom is a big target--there is no reason we shouldn't be getting him the ball in the middle of the field. Our guys need better offensive coaching. If Worley can't complete a 10-yard pass, then put in one of the other three QBs. Not saying we should be scoring 30, but was not impressed with the offensive unit I saw Saturday. It actually and painfully reminded me of the Sanders offensive units that started this mess--too much standing around at the LOS, dull play-calling, weak blocking, etc., etc. We can do better.
Up for top 10 dumbest post of the week!

It was hard to believe how much slower our Dbs were than everyone Oregon had on offense. We would have angle on Thomas and Huff still never get a hand on them.
Yes I know I'm off topic.

My only gripe out of Oregon is that when the run went right it gained. Therefore, they kept running to the left. It made no sense to me but they don't pay me to understand.

My only gripe out of Oregon is that when the run went right it gained. Therefore, they kept running to the left. It made no sense to me but they don't pay me to understand.
The only element of surprise they have with this read option. Go the opposite direction with the handoff next time.. That will fool them..:unsure:

This thread is what I call a hit and run.

Poster makes a ridiculous statement, and then never says anything else.

I'm sorry, but saying this is on the coaches at this point is insane.

Interesting

Could talent also reflect negatively towards the coaches?

Could depth?

So depth makes our starting offense look inept? I understand we arent loaded. I understand not having a slot reciever makes us change our plays by 50%. I understand our qb has not played well. Not a downer, I believe in cbj. I love what he is doing. As coaches hopefully they grew also. The system isnt working with our guys at this point. I only coach pop warner, and absolutely do not know how to fix this. Just looking for him to play to our strengths as promised. Maybe we dont have any. Thats why I come here.

It's on the coaches and the players, plenty of blame all around, but anybody with a football IQ above a 1 knew this wasn't going to be an overnight fix, this is going to take some time people. No coach is going to be perfect nor is any player. TN needs a ton more talent on the roster and this staff is going to have to adjust to the level of talent by the opposition, this is not the MAC or the Big East.

We've got to get more talent and we may even have to have some staff changes somewhere down the road but it's way too early to be considering that at this point, 1 loss as bad as it was is not a reason to freak out yet. We are going to take some lumps for a couple of years and those that didn't already know that better get used to it. We will get there eventually, nothing to do now but pull for the team and ride it out.

Spurrier has adjusted his offensive philosophy and gone with more mobile QBs. CBJ will do the same. Worley was safe for the first few games, but eventually we will incorporate a running threat at QB.

issue. The coaches deserve a LOT of blame for the offensive debacle on Saturday. We have a veteran OL with some good players--should be the strength of the unit. We have two experienced backs who are better than decent. Worley had started games before this year. Yes, we are inexperienced at WR--but EVERY TEAM is plays freshmen in certain positions. Every team plays young guys.

Coaching is a big part of this game, gents. Spurrier lit up the SEC with his passing game for a decade--and how many productive NFL QBs and WRs came out of his system? Very few--no QBs, and a tiny number of WRs. Wuerffel--prolific college passer--short-armed the ball and had no chance of being a NFL QB, even though he hung around the league for few years. Grossman has also hung around but not even sure he played for Spurrier, and just not all that talented. It was all Spurrier's coaching. He hammered home basic principles to his guys--if you run a good 12-yard hook pattern and the QB delivers the ball on time, you have a completion--it's not complicated. Croom is a big target--there is no reason we shouldn't be getting him the ball in the middle of the field. Our guys need better offensive coaching. If Worley can't complete a 10-yard pass, then put in one of the other three QBs. Not saying we should be scoring 30, but was not impressed with the offensive unit I saw Saturday. It actually and painfully reminded me of the Sanders offensive units that started this mess--too much standing around at the LOS, dull play-calling, weak blocking, etc., etc. We can do better.

We don't have 1 RB that would start at another SEC team, KY and Vandy included. Name 1 other SEC school that Worley would be starting at. Our WR's are green, especially with D. Young, Johnson and Pig out last Sat. Croom is a big target but that does not mean he catches the ball (consistently). Remember the dropped TD vs. West. KY? Our O-Line SHOULD dominate, however, I have been extremely disappointed in their lack of push as well as their inability to sustain blocks all season (AP doesn't count). Against Western KY, we had less than 100 yards rushing at halftime!! We haven't had a dominant O=Line since Fulmer was let go. Bottom line, hard to make chicken salad out of chicken.....

VN Store

Back