Pac 12/Big 12 Merger?

I think UConn is on the wish list so I expect them to be in. Maybe over San Diego State.

That would not be very smart.

Looking at things realistically, more blue chip recruits in SoCal than Storrs, Conn.

They need to keep at least one Cali school and by my map they did away with sdsu they wouldn't have one.

That would not be very smart.

Looking at things realistically, more blue chip recruits in SoCal than Storrs, Conn.

They need to keep at least one Cali school and by my map they did away with sdsu they wouldn't have one.

Possibly but Big12 Commissioner wants UConn for Basketball. They are on the short list. I could see this setup.

Possibly but Big12 Commissioner wants UConn for Basketball. They are on the short list. I could see this setup.

In the end, eyeballs and $$ (to advertisers they are the same thing) are in control now.

If you're going the expansion route and throwing away the map and considering only sports, SDSU would make UConn look like comparing Heupel vs Botch.

Population (eyeballs), demographics, and a recruiting base in SoCal. Makes too much sense to actually happen.

UConn is a great school, but they would be best served by just giving up football completely. In short they are probably one of the schools that is exactly where they should be. Quite frankly, they would make about as much sense for the B12 as Duke or Wake.

In the end, eyeballs and $$ (to advertisers they are the same thing) are in control now.

If you're going the expansion route and throwing away the map and considering only sports, SDSU would make UConn look like comparing Heupel vs Botch.

Population (eyeballs), demographics, and a recruiting base in SoCal. Makes too much sense to actually happen.

UConn is a great school, but they would be best served by just giving up football completely. In short they are probably one of the schools that is exactly where they should be. Quite frankly, they would make about as much sense for the B12 as Duke or Wake.
If the ACC, when the ACC dissolves, I think the Big 12 would be a very good landing spot for Duke, and maybe Wake, but I expect Wake to be left twisting in the wind. UCONN went 6-7 last year, which is pretty solid for where they were. They would be a great basketball addition to any conference.

Just a quick thought on what a possible B1g 12/Pac 10 merger could look like..........This includes adding a few other schools

Cal
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Washington
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Florida State
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Boise State
San Diego State
UNLV
That looks like eating cold left over soup! Only one school that historically has had a consistent top 10 football team.

There is a rumor that is starting to get kicked around that Disney is selling ESPN. That’s not the rumor. The rumor is that Apple will be the buyer and that the PAC 7 1/2 will stay together to piggyback off of the SEC on ESPN and have ESPN and Apple do their broadcasting/streaming. Could be interesting.

There is a rumor that is starting to get kicked around that Disney is selling ESPN. That’s not the rumor. The rumor is that Apple will be the buyer and that the PAC 7 1/2 will stay together to piggyback off of the SEC on ESPN and have ESPN and Apple do their broadcasting/streaming. Could be interesting.
Off and on for years I've seen that Apple wants all or most of Disney. It never seems to happen despite Apple having a ton of cash to throw around.

I think Disney wants to find a way to make ESPN really profitable but they don't want to sell it. Apple likes complete control of every little thing and they're not really a "partnership" kind of company.

I think Apple is going to have to buy the whole Mouse, and I think perhaps they should, but they never seem to pull the trigger.

Off and on for years I've seen that Apple wants all or most of Disney. It never seems to happen despite Apple having a ton of cash to throw around.

I think Disney wants to find a way to make ESPN really profitable but they don't want to sell it. Apple likes complete control of every little thing and they're not really a "partnership" kind of company.

I think Apple is going to have to buy the whole Mouse, and I think perhaps they should, but they never seem to pull the trigger.
Didn’t know that part of it .

Apple and Amazon are both building their own customized live field broadcast trucks from the ground up. They don’t need ESPN’s services.

If I am the Big 12, its pretty much all of them. Go ahead and make the first super conference. Grabbing up UW and Oregon would be huge, with that many schools taken you maintain most of the rivalries. and the Big 12 is a step up from the Pac 12 and with that many new schools you would think the Big 12 could get another bigger deal worked out.

Reactions: Pennheel
If I am the Big 12, its pretty much all of them. Go ahead and make the first super conference. Grabbing up UW and Oregon would be huge, with that many schools taken you maintain most of the rivalries. and the Big 12 is a step up from the Pac 12 and with that many new schools you would think the Big 12 could get another bigger deal worked out.
Oregon and UW are apparently staying, and the PAC 9 will live on. What a time to be a college sports fan.

Oregon and UW are apparently staying, and the PAC 9 will live on. What a time to be a college sports fan.
Sounds like Arizona is ready to join the Big 12, with ASU right behind them. So we are down to the PAC 7.

It would be foolish to stick around. the PAC is done.

UW, Oregon, Utah, and maybe Stanford, should find good landing places. Maybe WASU and OSU too if big brother drags them along, but we haven't seen that happen yet.

Cal is up crap creek imo. Maybe the Big 12 takes them to get a California market, but I could see them in a smaller conference.

Sounds like Arizona is ready to join the Big 12, with ASU right behind them. So we are down to the PAC 7.

It would be foolish to stick around. the PAC is done.

UW, Oregon, Utah, and maybe Stanford, should find good landing places. Maybe WASU and OSU too if big brother drags them along, but we haven't seen that happen yet.

Cal is up crap creek imo. Maybe the Big 12 takes them to get a California market, but I could see them in a smaller conference.

Now it sounds like Arizona is rethinking along with ASU and UTAH. Maybe this is a good thing. I don’t know anymore. I do know that I would love to see Cal join the Big 12 so that we could that clash of cultures. Cal travels to Lubbock to take on Texas Tech. That would be glorious .

I think it's a huge mistake for the SEC not to try to counter an offer from the B1G for those two teams.

Add Stanford and FSU and call it good.
Oregon, Washington, Stanford don't fit in the SEC. FSU isn't going anywhere soon.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford don't fit in the SEC. FSU isn't going anywhere soon.

And they fit into the B1G better?

It's about the dollars with Oregon, FSU and Washington. It's the heritage and academic standards with Stanford along with a historically good athletic department.

All four are brand names that bring in butts in seats, TV revenue and competition across a lot of sports.

Plus, adding FSU would drive the Gators up the wall.

And they fit into the B1G better?

It's about the dollars with Oregon, FSU and Washington. It's the heritage and academic standards with Stanford along with a historically good athletic department.

All four are brand names that bring in butts in seats, TV revenue and competition across a lot of sports.

Plus, adding FSU would drive the Gators up the wall.
I have kinda opened up to the thought of adding another Florida school, and FSU makes the most sense, i think. I don't think we need to get all of them to control the state or limit other conferences influence. Technically the Big 12 already has a foothold in Florida. But if the SEC has two of the Big 3 in Florida, that would drag over a lot of the undecided/agnostic viewers. especially if we get the one with the bigger alumni/support.

I think it's a huge mistake for the SEC not to try to counter an offer from the B1G for those two teams.

Add Stanford and FSU and call it good.

Nope. SEC needs to focus on UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VT. If / when the SEC expands again, this time the push will be eastward.

Lock up everything south of DC, and east of the Mighty Miss. Plus the flagship programs from Texas and Oklahoma. Just over 1/4 of the nation and roughly 1/2 of the eastern major college football media markets in one conference.

Sorry, but the simple fact is that 9, 10, and 11 pm kickoffs (EST) on the left coast don't get much attention in the east. And the east is where the money is. College football is a daytime / evening game. Prime time is no later than 8 pm, EST/DST. Oregon is a good team at a bad Longitude. Fact.

In the end, there will be four "super conferences". SEC, B10, B12, and as yet to be determined. Almost all of the top 65-75 college football programs will find a home in one of the four. Yes, even Notre Dame, eventually.

Go Vols.

This has all got to lead to a massive realignment soon. It’s gotten out of hand, and while what we know as the “NCAA” is all but obsolete, another governing body will have to take power at some point…and there will have to be some sort of quashing of this Wild West mentality of taking the money and running. Not one broadcast outlet that has ever existed will ever to be able to afford to supplement 3 or 4 super awesome power conferences at $1 Billion each, which is what the end goal is here. There is a breaking point, and it’s coming. College football is a very valuable commodity, but they are not as valuable as they think TV deals are currently paying. To hell with every athletic director and university president who is involved in trying to poach this train to irreparable harm.

Nope. SEC needs to focus on UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VT. If / when the SEC expands again, this time the push will be eastward.

Lock up everything south of DC, and east of the Mighty Miss. Plus the flagship programs from Texas and Oklahoma. Just over 1/4 of the nation and roughly 1/2 of the eastern major college football media markets in one conference.

Sorry, but the simple fact is that 9, 10, and 11 pm kickoffs (EST) on the left coast don't get much attention in the east. And the east is where the money is. College football is a daytime / evening game. Prime time is no later than 8 pm, EST/DST. Oregon is a good team at a bad Longitude. Fact.

In the end, there will be four "super conferences". SEC, B10, B12, and as yet to be determined. Almost all of the top 65-75 college football programs will find a home in one of the four. Yes, even Notre Dame, eventually.

Go Vols.

Most of the teams you mentioned don't really bring much to the table except UNC in basketball. The thing is, I'm looking at it from a market standpoint. Oregon and Washington have significant markets that aren't tapped into by the SEC. They both travel well and have good income into their programs. Geographically, they don't make sense.

Financially and from a competitive standpoint, they do. Maybe not Stanford as much, but the other three do add value to the conference overall.

Plus, when (not if) the SEC expands again, I'd prefer not to have the leftovers from the Great Conference Realignment of 2023. Get the quality teams now. The money will come.

VN Store

Back