Pearce Situation

Maybe go back and rewatch the game….in slow motion if it helps…thanks for the title
Dick response. I was at the game you donkey. The fact that Pearce's health was risked on Kickoff coverage instead of LEO is indicative of a situation.

NAME ANOTHER TEAM THAT INSERTS A "POTENTIAL #1 DRAFT PICK" ON SPECIAL TEAMS KICK RETURN COVERAGE.

Further, why would CJH risk Pearce on special teams when we're up 20-3?

Does. Not. Compute.

At a minimum it begs the question.

Last edited:
Watch how James Pearce is viciously double-team blocked on this play (which was a successful strip=sack_

I wonder do yall watch the games sometimes… Pearce didn’t “start” games last year but he played alot and he played alot last night as well… as much depth as we have idc who starts… Pearce was in the back field alot and I’m noticing they drop him in coverage a good bit more this year so far… I think they are trying to help him create even more value for the draft… but the DL is the last thing you should have any concerns with…
I have to agree ncst whole offense was to keep pearce out of the picture and he still made there life miserable.And with the attention on him all our d line is living like kings

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Dick response. I was at the game you donkey. The fact that Pearce's health was risked on Kickoff coverage instead of LEO is indicative of a situation.

NAME ANOTHER TEAM THAT INSERTS A "POTENTIAL #1 DRAFT PICK" ON SPECIAL TEAMS KICK RETURN COVERAGE.

Further, why would CJH risk Pearce on special teams when we're up 20-3?

Does. Not. Compute.

At a minimum it begs the question.
That wasn’t Pearce that was Peyton Lewis. James Pearce was never on kickoff coverage buddy

Look not to be that guy but I see it being said that he is being double teamed and teams are scheming against him. Well when you have a supposed elite pass rusher that’s being talked about as a top 5 pick, doesn’t every team do that?

Derek Barnett got double teamed a lot. Teams schemed around him. He still dominated. Myles Garret, Will Anderson, Clowney and others got the same treatment. They still dominated. I love Pearce but he seems to be getting neutralized fairly easily these past two games.

I know he will improve but almost every team is gonna scheme for him and double team him. He either is that dude who can fight through it and dominate or not.

Not understanding what's going on with Pearce. Josephs started in front of him at LEO last night, yet Pearce played on special teams and made a nice stop on kick off D. Is he injured / knicked up? Discliplinary action? Not discounting Josephs is a solid player, but Pearce has been built up all preseason as a potential top 10 draft pick.
JP is a beast and showed out last night. You don’t have to get sacks to affect the game.

Look not to be that guy but I see it being said that he is being double teamed and teams are scheming against him. Well when you have a supposed elite pass rusher that’s being talked about as a top 5 pick, doesn’t every team do that?

Derek Barnett got double teamed a lot. Teams schemed around him. He still dominated. Myles Garret, Will Anderson, Clowney and others got the same treatment. They still dominated. I love Pearce but he seems to be getting neutralized fairly easily these past two games.

I know he will improve but almost every team is gonna scheme for him and double team him. He either is that dude who can fight through it and dominate or not.
I agree with you for the most part. I actually think he will improve in sec play because teams will call more long developing passing plays. These first two games the teams have been so over matched they have been calling almost all quick passing plays

For Pearce to become the #1 draft pick he will have to demonstrate this season that he has developed his run-stopping game, and that he's learned the techniques needed to defeat double teams.

He and Coach Garner are on schedule.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Not understanding what's going on with Pearce. Josephs started in front of him at LEO last night, yet Pearce played on special teams and made a nice stop on kick off D. Is he injured / knicked up? Discliplinary action? Not discounting Josephs is a solid player, but Pearce has been built up all preseason as a potential top 10 draft pick.

State gained a total of 143 yards against our D. Does it really matter who starts, etc? I guarantee you NFL teams don’t GAS.

It’s like some of you look at stats only whereas defensive players can make an impact in so many ways.

Teams are going to try and get the ball out early to not deal with our pass rush. They know what they are up against. We need to have tight press coverage with safety help

Watch how James Pearce is viciously double-team blocked on this play (which was a successful strip=sack_

Gotta say, though, that I felt for him each time he was trying to figure out why he was drawing so many "not on the line of scrimmage" calls. Could not have been more than an inch's difference between when he was legal and when he was not.

I swear, some of y'all have never watched football. You act like he should get 5 sacks a game. He played 10 snaps game 1 and was very very disruptive against a veteran QB game 2. He was consistently in the backfield. He even got tackled a couple times that should have been holding. Go watch the game again and focus on 27. He's a beast, stats aren't the reason he's projected top 5 draft pick. His talent is the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I believe both were on the field on the first play.

That wasn’t Pearce that was Peyton Lewis. James Pearce was never on kickoff coverage buddy

Oh man. The play was on the other side of the field from where I was sitting. Assuming you're right, my OP is moot. Sorry.

Pearce tied with Dominic Bailey for the most number of snaps played on defensive line at 29 snaps.

Oh man. The play was on the other side of the field from where I was sitting. Assuming you're right, my OP is moot. Sorry.
take your coconuts and "MOVE ON...PLEASE!" *clackity-clack* *clackity-clack* *clackity-clack* *clackity-clack*

Monty_Python.gif

Reactions: MontyPython
I wonder do yall watch the games sometimes… Pearce didn’t “start” games last year but he played alot and he played alot last night as well… as much depth as we have idc who starts… Pearce was in the back field alot and I’m noticing they drop him in coverage a good bit more this year so far… I think they are trying to help him create even more value for the draft… but the DL is the last thing you should have any concerns with…
I was wondering what change we made to suddenly disrupt their passing game over the top. We started to get more pressure in the QB, but that may because we took away the middle by dropping JP? I also was thinking they were probably scheming against JP. Both would change his production when it comes to TFLs and sacks. To your point on development, I agree that it helps to create more versatility in a player. Albeit, may have been out of necessity as much as anything else.

I was wondering what change we made to suddenly disrupt their passing game over the top. We started to get more pressure in the QB, but that may because we took away the middle by dropping JP? I also was thinking they were probably scheming against JP. Both would change his production when it comes to TFLs and sacks. To your point on development, I agree that it helps to create more versatility in a player. Albeit, may have been out of necessity as much as anything else.
I personally would love us to rush him all the time but it’s chess… and if they slide protection his way but he drops then that leaves someone on the back side unblocked or every other DL 1 on 1… either way that allows our defense to get a lot more pressure… Norman Lott was an animal, west was an animal, big O l, Eason, Bailey all played dominant and Joseph’s lived in the backfield… they all work very hard and would be successful regardless but having Pearce be the number 1 priority for the OC allows them to dominate even more.

He is doing he job just by the fear factor. They schemed him on multiple plays and run away from his side. This makes it much easier for the rest of the defensive line to overwhelm them. He is making their job easier just by showing up.

I think Pearce is fantastic. Sacks are always fun, but they do not statistically correlate with great defense. Grantham always got a million sacks on defense… and routinely got beat. An end that is dictating protection schemes or pass timing is a huge thing. A QB pressure that does not result in a sack is still a major win for the defense.

Sacks tend to be streaky. Consistent, disciplined pressure—especially when paired with sound run defense—is far more valuable across a season, especially as UT is breaking in new DBs.

Pearce is the real deal.

VN Store

Back