peaygolf’s Countdown to Kickoff-2024

24 Days - Tee Martin vs South Carolina 1998

A road trip to Columbia was set to be business as usual for the 6-0 Tennessee football team. The Gamecocks would spend the entire year at the bottom of the SEC, 1-7 at the time the two teams faced each other, finishing the year winless in conference. After a quarter of play, attention turned not to the final score, but to the arm of Tennessee quarterback Tee Martin.

"It felt good today," said Martin after the win.
You could call that an understatement.

Over the course of three quarters, Martin completed 23 consecutive passes, 24 if you include the final throw of the Alabama game. Martin set the NCAA record for most consecutive completions, as well as the most consecutive completions in a single-game. The final stat line?
23/24, 315 yards and four touchdowns.

"I really didn't know how good we were doing as a team until at halftime and I said '18/18?' I was like 'oh man! We didn't drop any of the passes,' so uh, that was pretty good," Martin said.

He tossed a TD to Jermaine Copeland and Cedrick Wilson and hit Peerless Price twice for a score. Martin would need most of the day to get to the record. With about 2:55 left in the third quarter, Price found a soft spot in the Gamecock zone and Martin hit him between the numbers, officially setting the NCAA record. The very next play, Martin threw to a curling David Martin to his left. The ball was a little high and the wide receiver couldn't come down with it, ending the streak. The Vols finished the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run from Phillip Crosby. Add the extra point, and the UT took a 42-0 lead over the Gamecocks with an entire quarter left to play, but Martin's day was done. He jogged over to the sideline, hugging head coach Phillip Fulmer.

"I found out about the record when Coach Cutcliffe told me I wasn't going back in the fourth quarter," said Martin after the game.

1723042092484.png

24 Days - Tee Martin vs South Carolina 1998

A road trip to Columbia was set to be business as usual for the 6-0 Tennessee football team. The Gamecocks would spend the entire year at the bottom of the SEC, 1-7 at the time the two teams faced each other, finishing the year winless in conference. After a quarter of play, attention turned not to the final score, but to the arm of Tennessee quarterback Tee Martin.

"It felt good today," said Martin after the win.
You could call that an understatement.

Over the course of three quarters, Martin completed 23 consecutive passes, 24 if you include the final throw of the Alabama game. Martin set the NCAA record for most consecutive completions, as well as the most consecutive completions in a single-game. The final stat line?
23/24, 315 yards and four touchdowns.

"I really didn't know how good we were doing as a team until at halftime and I said '18/18?' I was like 'oh man! We didn't drop any of the passes,' so uh, that was pretty good," Martin said.

He tossed a TD to Jermaine Copeland and Cedrick Wilson and hit Peerless Price twice for a score. Martin would need most of the day to get to the record. With about 2:55 left in the third quarter, Price found a soft spot in the Gamecock zone and Martin hit him between the numbers, officially setting the NCAA record. The very next play, Martin threw to a curling David Martin to his left. The ball was a little high and the wide receiver couldn't come down with it, ending the streak. The Vols finished the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run from Phillip Crosby. Add the extra point, and the UT took a 42-0 lead over the Gamecocks with an entire quarter left to play, but Martin's day was done. He jogged over to the sideline, hugging head coach Phillip Fulmer.

"I found out about the record when Coach Cutcliffe told me I wasn't going back in the fourth quarter," said Martin after the game.

View attachment 665336
This was an enjoyable watch and an easy game for the Vols.

23 Days - Dale Carter vs Florida 1990

The Vols, 4-0-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the SEC took a 7-3 lead at intermission and overwhelmed the mistake-prone Gators in the second half to hand Steve Spurrier his first setback as Florida coach.

Dale Carter returned the second-half kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown Saturday night to trigger a 28-point third quarter that led fifth-ranked Tennessee to a 45-3 rout of previously unbeaten Florida. Carter's kickoff return stunned Florida's normally efficient special teams unit. He fielded a bouncing kick near Tennessee's sideline, used a quick burst of speed to clear the first wave of Gator defenders before breaking a tackle at midfield, then raced in for the score.

Carter's KO return opened the floodgates in the second half. Yes, UT scored 45 points, but it was the defense that controlled the game. Carter had two of UTs five interceptions, and adding his KO return, he instantly gained legend status............

1723126144828.png

Last edited:
22 Days - Josh Dobbs vs Missouri 2016

The game was the final home appearance for Tennessee senior quarterback Joshua Dobbs. He showed everyone why he will be remembered as one of the most gifted athletes to ever play QB for UT.

Here are some of the top highlights from his historic game.

Joshua Dobbs hits Jauan Jennings for a 49-yard touchdown pass to give the Vols a 7-6 lead.

Joshua Dobbs hits Josh Malone for a 57-yard score to give the Vols a 14-6 lead.

Joshua Dobbs hits Jauan Jennings for another touchdown to give the Vols a 28-20 lead.

Joshua Dobbs runs for a 30-yard touchdown to give the Vols a 35-27 lead.

Joshua Dobbs runs for a 70-yard touchdown to give the Vols a 42-30 lead.

Dobbs was brilliant as he spearheaded a potent UT attack. He wrapped up his career in Neyland by completing 15-of-22 passes for 223 yards, running for 190 yards on 10 carries and accounting for five total touchdowns in the 63-37 victory.

After the game, Coach Butch Jones gushed about Dobbs' character.

"I'm not very political - but he could be the president of the United States if he wanted to," Jones said. "I think he's a young man that, when he puts his mind to accomplishing whatever he wants, he'll accomplish whatever he wants."

"We knew we had something special four years ago when we walked into that house in Alpharetta, Georgia. People don't understand the rigors of the academic workload that he has and all the demands that people place on him from community service to being the quarterback at the University of Tennessee to the curriculum that he's in. I've never seen a more mature young man be able to handle that. And in Josh Dobbs' world, there is never a bad day. He's always got that smile, and he has the composure. He has the consistency like none other that I've ever seen. A young man like that only comes around so often."

1723205375392.png

21 Days - Erik Ainge vs Kentucky 2007

The Vols had to beat Kentucky in the last game of the regular season to win the SEC East title and led 31-14 late in the third quarter. Then the Wildcats scored 17 unanswered points with Lones Seiber kicking an 18-yard field goal as time expired to send the game into overtime. The teams traded touchdowns in the first two overtime periods. In the third, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Arian Foster pushed Tennessee back to the 40-yard line. On the next play, Erik Ainge hit Qunitin Hancock with a touchdown pass and converted the two-pointer with a toss to Austin Rogers. Running back Derrick Locke scored on the subsequent possession for Kentucky with a three-yard touchdown run, but quarterback Andre’ Woodson was stopped on the two-point try, giving the Vols a 52-50 victory and their last appearance in the SECCG.

Ainge matched UKs Andre Woodson shot for shot, and finished 28-45 for 397 yards passing, but it was his 7 Touchdown passes that put him in the record book. Six different receivers caught TD passes from Ainge.

UT was inconsistent all season, as was Ainge. He did throw 3 ints vs UK, but he came through in huge ways when needed to help UT win the East.

1723289375699.png

20 Days - Al Dorsey 1967 vs Alabama

I’ve had multiple three-interception games on here that also included a touchdown. None of those games, however, helped decide an SEC Championship against the Alabama Crimson Tide and what would become a retroactive national championship. That’s what Albert Dorsey did for Tennessee football in 1967.

Entering his fourth year on the job, Doug Dickey easily had his best team. Senior quarterback Dewey Warren had brought the Vols into the modern era with the way he managed the T-formation, and the linebacker-based defensive schemes made the team more fun to watch. This would be UT’s year.

After a season-opening loss to the UCLA Bruins, the Vols got on a roll. But it started early. UT beat the Auburn Tigers and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets to get to 2-1 and would then face Alabama, a team they had not beaten since 1960.

In a rough offensive game, with Tennessee starting their 3rd string QB Bubba Wyche, Dorsey made the difference, picking off three passes (all in the final quarter) and running the final one back late for a score. Dorsey and the rest of the defense kep Bama's offense in check giving UT a 24-13 victory. Dorsey would go on to make 1st Team All-American in 1967.

The Vols would finish the regular season 9-1 and 6-0 in the SEC, and Bear Bryant’s team would finish 8-1-1 and 5-1 in the SEC. As a result, it’s safe to say Dorsey’s play decided the SEC champion that year and potentially a share of the national title, which the Vols claim to have captured to this day.

1723379808689.png

Last edited:
19 Days - Josh Dobbs vs South Carolina 2014

Josh Dobbs was making his first career start in Columbia and UT was behind 42-28 with 4:52 left in the game.

Dobbs threw a 9-yard pass to Jason Croom with 11 seconds left to tie the game at 42 before Aaron Medley’s 32-yard field goal in overtime lifted Tennessee to its first Southeastern Conference win 45-42 over South Carolina.

Dobbs ran for 166 yards and touchdowns of 7, 36 and 3 yards. He was 23 of 40 for 301 yards, an interception and TD passes of 21 yards to Jalen Hurd and the tying score to Croom.
Dobbs set the school mark for single-game rushing by a quarterback, breaking the record of 106 yards by the late Jimmy Streater in 1979.

The win propelled the Vols down the stretch as they proceeded to win three of the next four games, including a 45-28 thumping of Iowa in the Taxlsayer Bowl to complete a 7-6 season as well as their first winning season since 200.

Not bad for your first start…….

1723471138941.jpeg

Josh Dobbs was making his first career start in Columbia and UT was behind 42-28 with 4:52 left in the game.

Dobbs threw a 9-yard pass to Jason Croom with 11 seconds left to tie the game at 42 before Aaron Medley’s 32-yard field goal in overtime lifted Tennessee to its first Southeastern Conference win 45-42 over South Carolina.

Dobbs ran for 166 yards and touchdowns of 7, 36 and 3 yards. He was 23 of 40 for 301 yards, an interception and TD passes of 21 yards to Jalen Hurd and the tying score to Croom.
Dobbs set the school mark for single-game rushing by a quarterback, breaking the record of 106 yards by the late Jimmy Streater in 1979.

The win propelled the Vols down the stretch as they proceeded to win three of the next four games, including a 45-28 thumping of Iowa in the Taxlsayer Bowl to complete a 7-6 season as well as their first winning season since 200.

View attachment 666615
I almost went to bed early. What a come back!

View attachment 666615
One of my favorites. I was watching the game with an SC friend of mine who was giving me crap for the whole game…until the tables turned. Dobbs was a special talent!

18 Days- Tyler Bray vs Troy 2012

Tennessee's single-game passing-yardage record belongs to Bray in the ignominious 55-48 win against Troy in 2012. Bray was 29-of-47 passing for 530 yards and five touchdown passes, and the Vols needed every last one of them given they allowed 721 yards of offense, then a program-worst that was broken by Missouri in 2016. Tennessee's 718 yards against the Trojans remains the program record, though. Bray threw touchdown passes to Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter twice as the Vols built a 28-10 lead in the second quarter, but Troy rallied and trailed 31-30 at halftime and then led going into the fourth quarter. Bray put the Vols back on top with a touchdown pass to Rajion Neal early in the fourth quarter, and he had to lead two late touchdown drives after Troy took a lead with 3:14 left and hit Hunter for another touchdown and set up the winning score, a Marlin Lane TD run with 1:25 left.

1723553421709.jpeg

View attachment 666615

For those who have forgotten ...

17 Days - Reggie Cobb vs Auburn 1989

No. 4 Auburn entered the late September game against Tennessee with the top defense in the nation, but No. 12 Tennessee ripped it apart in the driving rain.

'You hear a lot about great defense like Auburn's, but you just have to go out there and test it,' Cobb said. 'I don't think people are giving us credit yet for being a good team. But each game we should be convincing them.'

'I was concerned about our defense all year,' Auburn Coach Pat Dye said. 'Something I was afraid of happened today. They ran the ball straight at us, and we could not do a lot about it. We were manhandled up front.'

Beginning with Tennessee's second possession, when the Volunteers' offensive linemen—most notably right guard Eric Still—began driving the Tigers off the ball. Tailbacks Cobb and Chuck Webb were biting off huge chunks of yardage right up the gut of Auburn's defense. The Vols rushed for 66 yards on that possession, which ended with a shanked 37-yard field goal attempt. But a statement had been made.

"We're not the same team they beat 38-6 a year ago," said Cobb after Saturday's game. "They made some remarks during the week, saying I wasn't going to be a factor in the game." Cobb's 225 yards on 22 carries turned out to be the best rushing day anyone has had against an Auburn defense in 38 years.

With the score 2-0 early in the second quarter, Cobb stepped right, then took a handoff and cut back off left guard. The misdirection worked—a huge hole appeared in the Auburn line. Instantly, Cobb was in the secondary. He cut right and high-stepped up the right sideline for a 79-yard score. How big was the play for Tennessee? "As big as big can be," answered a giddy Majors after the game.

Cobb’s play single-handedly carried the Vols to victory and got them into the top 10. By that point, UT had been ranked for only three weeks. But they would not be unranked again for another five years. That’s how defining this game was.

UT would go on to win 21-14 and finish the '89 season as Co-Champions of the SEC and 11-1 on the season...............

1723641749718.png

17 Days - Reggie Cobb vs Auburn 1989

No. 4 Auburn entered the late September game against Tennessee with the top defense in the nation, but No. 12 Tennessee ripped it apart in the driving rain.

'You hear a lot about great defense like Auburn's, but you just have to go out there and test it,' Cobb said. 'I don't think people are giving us credit yet for being a good team. But each game we should be convincing them.'

'I was concerned about our defense all year,' Auburn Coach Pat Dye said. 'Something I was afraid of happened today. They ran the ball straight at us, and we could not do a lot about it. We were manhandled up front.'

Beginning with Tennessee's second possession, when the Volunteers' offensive linemen—most notably right guard Eric Still—began driving the Tigers off the ball. Tailbacks Cobb and Chuck Webb were biting off huge chunks of yardage right up the gut of Auburn's defense. The Vols rushed for 66 yards on that possession, which ended with a shanked 37-yard field goal attempt. But a statement had been made.

"We're not the same team they beat 38-6 a year ago," said Cobb after Saturday's game. "They made some remarks during the week, saying I wasn't going to be a factor in the game." Cobb's 225 yards on 22 carries turned out to be the best rushing day anyone has had against an Auburn defense in 38 years.

With the score 2-0 early in the second quarter, Cobb stepped right, then took a handoff and cut back off left guard. The misdirection worked—a huge hole appeared in the Auburn line. Instantly, Cobb was in the secondary. He cut right and high-stepped up the right sideline for a 79-yard score. How big was the play for Tennessee? "As big as big can be," answered a giddy Majors after the game.

Cobb’s play single-handedly carried the Vols to victory and got them into the top 10. By that point, UT had been ranked for only three weeks. But they would not be unranked again for another five years. That’s how defining this game was.

UT would go on to win 21-14 and finish the '89 season as Co-Champions of the SEC and 11-1 on the season...............

View attachment 667098

one of my favs....was in the dry directly behind and above the north goal post during the monsoon....another performance of note that game that often gets overlooked is DE Marion Hobby....He had 5....yes, FIVE passes batted down

one of my favs....was in the dry directly behind and above the north goal post during the monsoon....another performance of note that game that often gets overlooked is DE Marion Hobby....He had 5....yes, FIVE passes batted down
I was sitting in the section just to the left of you ... where Reggie ran it in... got back home around midnight & immediately went to the vcr to watch it again.

Cobb - Webb was the start of some truly great RB duos at Tennessee.
Amazing how that one 'break through' game can set the tone for a program for several years - I feel the Bama game of 2022 has done that for the current program.
I still say Gene McEver is the greatest player in UT history..............but Chuck Webb could have been.........

VN Store

Back