Peerless

A few more to add to the list:

Stanley Morgan

Thomas Woods

Joey Clinkscales

Eric Parker

? Swanson (possession receiver)

Sam Graddy (just kidding on this one - anyone else remember him?)

Stanley Morgan is probably the only one on this list worthy of being mentioned as a "best".

Stanley Morgan is a good one. He moved to running back one year for the sake of the team and then went on to a long NFL career as a receiver.

Sam Graddy was the 1980's version of Leonard Scott - incredible speed with no route running ability and hands of stone.

donte stallworth was a big diffrence maker when he played with tennessee. i wish he would have stayed one more year. the ncaa really screwed us over in that one.

yeah. im happy for him. he is really coming along in new orleans.

where's alvin harper? Price is in the second five at best!!!! Here's a pic for the Price lovers though

Attachments

• 1_11_99_sicover.jpg
    1_11_99_sicover.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
The best route runner the Vols ever had was Tim McGee. The most athletic was Carl Pickens. Different kind of receivers.... same results.

Originally posted by volinbham@Jan 20, 2005 8:49 PM
A few more to add to the list:

Stanley Morgan

Thomas Woods

Joey Clinkscales

Eric Parker

? Swanson (possession receiver)

Sam Graddy (just kidding on this one - anyone else remember him?)

Stanley Morgan is probably the only one on this list worthy of being mentioned as a "best".

Eric Swanson

Kelly Washington is not even in the top 10, Craig Faulkner contributed more to the vols than Washington......Stanley Morgan would have to be the best as far as all-around reciever....best hands....Larry Sievers, best speed Willie Gualt.

Peace Cross

Craig Faulkner was good, but his best season was

1993 Faulkner 40 rec for 680 yards and 6 TDs

while Washington's best season was

2001 Washington 64 rec for 1010 yards and 5 TDs

Only 3 receivers in Tennessee history have had single season yardage over 1,000 yards.... Marcus Nash ('97), Joey Kent ('95&'96), and Kelley Washington ('01)

I don't think Washington is the best receiver to play at Tennessee, but I definately think he deserves top 10 consideration.

he may have put more yrds than others but IMO he did more damage to the team than any other player to come thru man I'm glad he left early

Johnny Mills has to be in the top 10. Don't forget Juco transfer Anthony Miller who went on to play for the Broncos.

Donte Stallworth, Kelly Washington - all those guys like that - don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Joey Kent.

How does a thread that turned into a convo about the best WR in UT history not have more responses with Joey Kent in it?

Other considerations: Peerless Price, Marcus Nash, Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper, Morgan

Somebody should send the article on "Wide Reciever U" to Turner so he can see who really puts the most recievers in the NFL.

Thanks for the article Allvol.

I was trying to remember one guy that was a speedster and the article had his name:

Anthony Miller

We've been blessed at this position.

good read, thanks Allvol.....but how the hell does Michigan go to the top, Florida I see but michigan?

Craig Faulkner. Was trying to think of his name the other day. Not a best ever vote, but certainly honorable mention as a key receiver that could catch. If you need a play or a first down, he was the look off receiver. Decent speed, great hands, ability to make a play count. Whatever happened to him?

Speed...few will surpass Gualt on open field afterburners. He had a gear few do not even know the name for.

All around tops...Harper, Kent...the list is long and distinguished.

For Sarge:

Alvin Harper has been completely out of the NFL for several years now. His last full season was 97 with the Redskins. About an 8 year run. I think he played a few games again in 99 for Dallas again. Into golfing and such. Harper's best season was in 1994, when he caught 33 passes for 821 yards and eight touchdowns. Latest news back in August in the Washington Post was that Howard hired him as their new receivers coach.

I think Tim McGee is my fav VOL WR.

Also, all the things said about Washington are correct. BUT, he was a helluva WR and if he had stayed 4 years at UT, he would have owned more than a few NCAA records.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jan 20, 2005 4:22 PM
A lot of people say the best was Seivers, but he was slightly before I can remember. The best I've seen was Carl Pickens.

The best talent Ive seen at WR weve ever had is Robert Meachem. I think 2005 he'll have a break out year.

Originally posted by lll Communication@Jan 21, 2005 11:24 AM
Donte Stallworth, Kelly Washington - all those guys like that - don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Joey Kent.

How does a thread that turned into a convo about the best WR in UT history not have more responses with Joey Kent in it?

Other considerations: Peerless Price, Marcus Nash, Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper, Morgan

Agree with that. Joey Kent caught 10 passes his freshman year and 5 of them were for TD's. 1994 was a sub par year because we were breaking in Manning. But 95 and 96 they did some special things.

Other guys were not talking about

Cory Fleming
Billy Williams
Andy McCullough
Jermaine Copeland
Cedric Wilson
Eric Parker

All of these guys ahve either played or are still playing in the league.

In the past 15 years, we have not had a better all around WR than Joey Kent. We may have had some guys that were bigger, stronger, faster, more talented and more athletic than JK, but I would take him over any.

Originally posted by QBvol7+Jan 21, 2005 4:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QBvol7 @ Jan 21, 2005 4:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lll Communication@Jan 21, 2005 11:24 AM
Donte Stallworth, Kelly Washington - all those guys like that - don&#39;t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Joey Kent.

Agree with that. Joey Kent caught 10 passes his freshman year and 5 of them were for TD&#39;s. 1994 was a sub par year because we were breaking in Manning. But 95 and 96 they did some special things.

Cory Fleming
Billy Williams
Andy McCullough
Jermaine Copeland
Cedric Wilson
Eric Parker

In the past 15 years, we have not had a better all around WR than Joey Kent. We may have had some guys that were bigger, stronger, faster, more talented and more athletic than JK, but I would take him over any. [/quote]
Cory Fleming was a FB but he was/is good.

I can&#39;t remember back as far as you guys are going, but i&#39;m really enjoying the reading. I only remember back to the mid 90&#39;s, but I know I watched them all with my dad and brother.

Kelly Washington had several problems but he was a freak. When he decided to play he would catch bombs for 70, 80 yards. If i remember correctly he tried to turn things around his last year, attitude wise, but then he got hurt.

James Banks, iknow i know, was fun to watch in 2003.

Originally posted by OrangeCrush18+Jan 22, 2005 1:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OrangeCrush18 @ Jan 22, 2005 1:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by QBvol7@Jan 21, 2005 4:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-lll Communication
@Jan 21, 2005 11:24 AM
Donte Stallworth, Kelly Washington - all those guys like that - don&#39;t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Joey Kent.

Agree with that. Joey Kent caught 10 passes his freshman year and 5 of them were for TD&#39;s. 1994 was a sub par year because we were breaking in Manning. But 95 and 96 they did some special things.

Cory Fleming
Billy Williams
Andy McCullough
Jermaine Copeland
Cedric Wilson
Eric Parker

In the past 15 years, we have not had a better all around WR than Joey Kent. We may have had some guys that were bigger, stronger, faster, more talented and more athletic than JK, but I would take him over any.

Cory Fleming was a FB but he was/is good. [/quote]
No. Cory Fleming was a WR when SHuler was there. He and Craig Faulkner were our 2 main guys.

The FB you are thinking of is Troy Fleming.

VN Store

Back