Pennington: 50/50 split on needing to dump Rocky Top

Should UT stop using "Rocky Top"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would rather hear Rocky Top than Down the Field. Rocky top is Unique to Tennessee. Its the only Team in the country you can hear it from. Down The Field is Borrowed from Yale and as such, I have a hard time seeing how it is "tennessee's"

I would rather hear Rocky Top than Down the Field. Rocky top is Unique to Tennessee. Its the only Team in the country you can hear it from. Down The Field is Borrowed from Yale and as such, I have a hard time seeing how it is "tennessee's"

I don't want Down the Field to replace Rocky Top but would like to hear it more often. Also it sounds so different from Yale's version.
Listen
Fight songs of Nevada, Tennessee and Yale - YouTube

I don't want Down the Field to replace Rocky Top but would like to hear it more often. Also it sounds so different from Yale's version.
Listen
Fight songs of Nevada, Tennessee and Yale - YouTube

You gotta remember, and I think I've mentioned it on here before, I'm a musician. My degree is in music. I can hear the differences in all 3 but they all 3 sound so similar to me at the same time. No one can claim that about Rocky top.

and if anything, I think Yale's and TN's sounds closer together than Navada's. The Melody is much closer between the two. They style of Navada's and TN's are closer though.

Pennington is a moron. Only the uneducated consider bluegrass to be nothing more than unsophisticated hillbilly music. The difficulty, complexity, and history of bluegrass (it is a blended musical form with many ethnicities contributing to this uniquely American music) is appreciated around the world and around the US, particularly among musicians and music historians. It contributed enormously to country as well as rock n' roll and other genres.

Bluegrass has also enjoyed a revival among college students, lay people, trendsetters, and those who live in cities out West, NYC, Chicago etc. as well as those who are very much into the music scene.

As to black fans who dig the song... the banjo, in particular, is a black American contribution to American music. Black folks very much influenced and contributed to bluegrass, country, rock and other genres in MANY ways. Contrary to popular belief, no music develops in a cultural vacuum and all Americans can claim American music genres as their own as just about everyone contributed to the development of various genres.

You gotta remember, and I think I've mentioned it on here before, I'm a musician. My degree is in music. I can hear the differences in all 3 but they all 3 sound so similar to me at the same time. No one can claim that about Rocky top.

and if anything, I think Yale's and TN's sounds closer together than Navada's. The Melody is much closer between the two. They style of Navada's and TN's are closer though.
I agree with you but you have to remember Down the Field was our Rocky Top in the 70's when i was a kid and it will always be special.

Reactions: 1 person
Only really read the first post, but came here to say that life free of John Pennington and Clay Travis is a much better one. Join me, brothers and sisters in orange and learn what a mostly jackass free Vol life can be.

VN Store

Back