Pennington: 50/50 split on needing to dump Rocky Top

Should UT stop using "Rocky Top"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We aren't inbred hillbillies for singing RockyTop.. hell, at least we don't oink like a hog or woof woof.... :clapping:

GO VOLS.
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

We aren't inbred hillbillies for singing RockyTop.. hell, at least we don't oink like a hog or woof woof.... :clapping:

GO VOLS.
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

I agree with this completely. I'm not a hillbilly in any way but I grew up going to UT games and I love singing Rocky Top at the games when we do something positive. It's a big part of the whole experience.

There is always a debate about standing vs sitting at games and all that sorta crap but there should never be a debate about 100,000 happy Vol fans singing Rocky Top when we score a TD!!!

Reactions: 1 person
This thread is an abomination. Thanks for bringing this garbage to the board.

sorry for that. If you go to the User CP and uncheck the "Force reading of bad threads" box you should be ready to go. I can't see your settings but I bet the box titled "Hide thread titles" needs to be unchecked too. Please let me know if that doesn't help :hi:

If someone has it in their mind that I'm an inbred hillbilly a song isn't going to have any impact on their ass backwards way of thinking.

Where is the poll option for " Play down the field. (Our official, traditional fight song) more than Rocky Top"? That's what I would pick. We should play it some. But play our real song more.

I take great pride in proclaiming to other CF fans that MY team has the most obnoxious fight song in the history of sports. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing the excruciating pain on an opposing fans face after we just scored on 'um as I sing along with the Tennessee band. Anybody try to take that away from me and world war III will be on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Where is the poll option for " Play down the field. (Our official, traditional fight song) more than Rocky Top"? That's what I would pick. We should play it some. But play our real song more.

Play Down the Field is just as good as Rocky Top, I agree

I've heard some dumb offseason stuff...but good night.

His reasoning? It "makes us look like dumb, inbred hillbillies." UT should dump it and play "a fast version of the Tennessee Waltz."

Claims every time he brings it up its a 50/50 split when it comes to getting rid of Rocky Top.

I wish I were kidding.

I bring it up mainly to see if there is truly even a small percentage of the fanbase wanting to get rid of Rocky Top. Have at it.

John Pennington doesn't need to use the pronoun WE when referring to UT.

Probably going to get blasted for this, but here are my thoughts on Rocky Top.
Love the song, love the tradition. Like it pregame. Wish they would play after TDs and then play a well known musical phrase from the song after the extra point is made. However, wish it wasn't played so much...at least not played in it's entirety. This is a minor gripe, really. Because nothing was better than running up huge scores and hearing it all night long.

At least UT has 3-4 different fight songs...Down The Field, Fight Vols Fight, Spirit of the Hill, Tennessee Waltz that we play. Try watching an Oklahoma or USC game. They have ONE fight song they play over & over & over!

Do we ever play Down the Field just on it's own. Seems like it is just a lead into Rocky Top after a score or part of the pregame.

I mean, technically..... It's not the ACTUAL fight song. Butttttttt seriously Pennington can shove where the sun don't shine

"Down the Field" and "Fight Vols Fight" do a lot more for me emotionally than "Rocky Top."
Youtube those two and tell me that isn't more of real Tennessee football history than a mediocre bluegrass song by the Osborne Brothers. Of course I'm old school.

GTFO with that

VN Store

Back