Perpetual War & Never-ending State of Mourning

propaganda propaganda propaganda Russia cool propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda Russia cool propaganda propaganda propaganda... repeat.

Fair point...

The link I posted with regards to Obama setting the record for most half mast executive orders indicated it started with Eisenhower.

Nevertheless, there just seems to be have been a noticeable uptick since 9/11, either way.

It’s probably safe to speculate the uptick has correlation. In 1999 a month is dedicated to military acknowledgement. In 2001 an event happens that puts the military in the forefront continually for extended time.

While unintended I’m sure 9/11 did increase the exposure. My opinion anyway.

propaganda propaganda propaganda Russia cool propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda propaganda Russia cool propaganda propaganda propaganda... repeat.

Who appears to be the nutcase now?

You're better than this.

Relax

Reactions: 2 people
Who appears to be the nutcase now?

You're better than this.

Relax
Propaganda is a cheap argument. If you want to say it is a waste of taxpayers' money then fine, but propaganda harkens to something much more malicious. It's a bull**** argument.

I would love for us to do it in a time of peace... I guess that is where frustration is centered. Not on us honoring the military, but us honoring the military as a way of advancing a perpetual war agenda.

I think the best way to honor the military is not to send them off to be killed in pointless half-baked wars.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm about to catch flak for this, but here it goes...

This is just something that has popped into my mind over the last few weeks, but I remember a few weeks ago walking to my car about to leave my office when I noticed that the flag was at half mast. The thought occurred to me then that I can't seem to ever remember the flag NOT being at half mast far too often. Seems like when I was a kid, it was a rare occurrence, but now, it literally seems like it could be in that state for a majority of the year.

Then, I went to a Braves game not too long ago and I knew we would have the national anthem and what not. But since I'm not too plugged in to the mainstream/the Matrix, it really hit me at that game just how militarized and propagandized these events are. Veterans throwing out first pitches, being welcomed home after "fighting for our freedoms" and "God Bless America" singing during the 7th inning stretch...

All of this military worship and faux patriotic symbolism has just seemed to be ratcheted way up since 9/11. And my initial feelings about some of this got confirmed when I saw this older news story...

Obama has ordered flags at half-staff more than any president in history

This country is being propagandized with all of the red/white/blue bunting, the stadium fly overs, rah rah 'Murica singing, and constant reminders of why we are (allegedly) fighting these wars halfway around the globe (for our freedoms... which are rapidly eroding).

Okay, not a darn thing wrong with the flyovers. The .mil considers them a recruiting tool and good for PR. Otherwise, they tend to be a waste of gas (though the aforementioned .mil says otherwise and they are just diverting from a routing "training mission.")

Not a darn thing wrong with honoring those who have served overseas even if you don't support the wars they fight in. Let's face it, we still have a ways to go over the treatment of the Vietnam Veterans. Better late than never to coin the phrase.

As for the half staff issue, I agree with you. I do think it's overused at this point in time and it's easy to get caught up in the "just because" reason for lowering it to half staff. Some people, absolutely. Some years ago for Neil Armstrong, absolutely deserved. Former First Ladies...maybe.

Whitney Houston...not so much (wasn't national though). Ted Kennedy, abso-****ing-lutely no. The mass shootings, not really appropriate on a national level I think.

As for the foreign entanglements we are currently in, no, I do not think we should be as involved as we should be as I've stated many times before. I think if such a nation or terrorist group provokes us, we go bomb the living **** out of them and let them pick up the pieces.

Some interesting examples of propaganda.

Attachments

• 53bd2393219d3.jpg
    53bd2393219d3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 53bd2a87dec83.jpg
    53bd2a87dec83.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 53bd22140b275.jpg
    53bd22140b275.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 53bd1d19c5d2a.jpg
    53bd1d19c5d2a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
It's always your problem if your words are misunderstood.

Always? I can come up with countless examples, not just anomalies or exceptions, where someone read or heard something one way and ended up not taking advantage of the information given.

I'm not saying that there are times when a misunderstanding doesn't hurt the one transmitting the message. It does happen. But in this particular case, it simply doesn't apply.

Ras, let me ask you this...

What about the historical warbird flyover? Like the Commemarative Air Force WWII planes? Are those propaganda?

Ras, let me ask you this...

What about the historical warbird flyover? Like the Commemarative Air Force WWII planes? Are those propaganda?

Look, I'm not going to run down a list of items and either bless or curse each one. I'm talking about the big picture or just a general direction that I see the country going.

I'm not attacking servicemen. Has nothing to do with that. It is about what the thread title suggests. Perpetual war and a a state of perpetual mourning.

Look, I'm not going to run down a list of items and either bless or curse each one. I'm talking about the big picture or just a general direction that I see the country going.

I'm not attacking servicemen. Has nothing to do with that. It is about what the thread title suggests. Perpetual war and a a state of perpetual mourning.

I never implied you were attacking service members.

However, you did say something about the "faux patriotism" and using the flyovers and service folks tossing out the first pitch as "propaganda." I disagree because I don't think it's "propaganda" as you see it.

I never implied you were attacking service members.

However, you did say something about the "faux patriotism" and using the flyovers and service folks tossing out the first pitch as "propaganda." I disagree because I don't think it's "propaganda" as you see it.

Again, I'm looking at the entire motion picture, not necessarily focusing on a few frames. Are there some cases of innocent admiration for people? Yes.

I threw out the different events to try to help paint a picture of what I experienced.

Meh... may be a cheap argument in your mind. But gain, in this particular context, it applies because of the evidence of the govt financing these activities.

Is that even debatable?
I prefer "promote". Propaganda has a negative connotation. I was in the military. I love and respect the guys and gals in it. Promoting it is a good thing.

I prefer "promote". Propaganda has a negative connotation. I was in the military. I love and respect the guys and gals in it. Promoting it is a good thing.

The use of the "propaganda" is not directed at the soldiers. It is directed at the cause and justification for them being in war.

Can you see the distinction?

Reactions: 2 people
The use of the "propaganda" is not directed at the soldiers. It is directed at the cause and justification for them being in war.

Can you see the distinction?
Not really because you are using it as your battle flag to eradicate any kind of celebration or promotion for them. You see flyovers as propaganda for the military. I can use celebration, promotion, even training as a reason.

As to 'cause' for them being in a war? nuh uh. not even close.

VN Store

Back