Perspective from a 19 Year Old Vol Fan

TheBigOne10

FU Money
I am a 19 year old poor college kid that has grown up living, breathing and dreaming Tennessee football since I was old enough to hear, see and think for myself. Neyland Stadium has been my home away from home dating back to attending my first game vs. Vanderbilt in the Casey Clausen days of 03'... I have seen and experienced many ups and downs as a Vol fan throughout my young life, from watching the national championship game in 1998 with my dad (yes, I remember it... photographic memory) to thrilling victories in the swamp in 2001 and Tuscaloosa in 2003) to our recent carousel of coaches and letdowns. Through it all, one thing has never ceased to amaze me.. the passion of our fans for Tennessee football. I am typing this because I simply cannot wait to see those magic words once again in two weeks..."It's Football Time in Tennesseee!!" I really look forward to seeing you all in Neyland this year and I thank y'all for always providing good insight (well, most of you) and entertainment on this message board, and not bashing a young man such as myself too incredibly often. We are simply the best program in College Football and I look forward to climbing back to the top brick by brick. Butch has brought life, energy and a passion back to our program, and I see us doing some huge things in the very near future. Through it all I have remained a Vol, and always will, and I can't wait to celebrate the resurrection of a sleeping giant with all of Big Orange Brethren.. and yes this is another one of those threads... Flame Away.. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 41 people
Great post. I feel bad that you have seen more down years than up in your lifetime. It's never been like that and never will again. Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Always good to hear excitement from a young fan.
Just make sure you do one thing..BE AS LOUD AS YOU CAN AND MAKE YOUR FRIENDS BE LOUD AS HE!! TOO.

I'm always excited every year. I'm excited this year. I'm expecting 6 wins, thinking 7 is possible. It's going to suck when UT loses it's bazillionth game against a ranked team, but I'm still going to have fun this year.

Great post. We need more fans like you from your generation to keep the Big Orange spirit alive. Recruit some of your buddies. It's going to be a fun ride back to the upper echelon of the SEC and college football!

Reactions: 2 people
I`m a 19 year old brain trapped in a 55 year old body:)

I'd say this is a pretty common problem here on VN, LOL. I'm technically going on 37, but mentally I'm nowhere near that most days. One thing that this thread makes me realize (besides that I'm getting old), is that there's a whole generation of Vols out there who don't know what it's like to see that Orange at the top of the hill. Things are changing, though. I can feel it. GBO!:eek:k:

Reactions: 1 person
I know the pain. I'm 26, so I was old enough to remember '98 in Tempe, but for the most part, I only remember the blur that was the 2000-2010 era and it's been rough.

Reactions: 1 person
I am a 19 year old poor college kid that has grown up living, breathing and dreaming Tennessee football since I was old enough to hear, see and think for myself. Neyland Stadium has been my home away from home dating back to attending my first game vs. Vanderbilt in the Casey Clausen days of 03'... I have seen and experienced many ups and downs as a Vol fan throughout my young life, from watching the national championship game in 1998 with my dad (yes, I remember it... photographic memory) to thrilling victories in the swamp in 2001 and Tuscaloosa in 2003) to our recent carousel of coaches and letdowns. Through it all, one thing has never ceased to amaze me.. the passion of our fans for Tennessee football. I am typing this because I simply cannot wait to see those magic words once again in two weeks..."It's Football Time in Tennesseee!!" I really look forward to seeing you all in Neyland this year and I thank y'all for always providing good insight (well, most of you) and entertainment on this message board, and not bashing a young man such as myself too incredibly often. We are simply the best program in College Football and I look forward to climbing back to the top brick by brick. Butch has brought life, energy and a passion back to our program, and I see us doing some huge things in the very near future. Through it all I have remained a Vol, and always will, and I can't wait to celebrate the resurrection of a sleeping giant with all of Big Orange Brethren.. and yes this is another one of those threads... Flame Away.. GO VOLS!!!

I am 17 and I have been a pretty big Auburn fan for pretty much my whole life. About a month ago, I unofficially officially became a Tennessee Volunteer. I had always thought Auburn had a pretty good fan base, but this.... this is unreal. The excitement around UT and its athletic program is pretty hard to believe. I could not be happier with my decision. I am extremely proud to call myself a VFL. Go Big Orange!!

Reactions: 17 people
I'm 18 but didn't really get into college football until 2006. So yeah, 2007 was a pretty good year to me even though we lost 4 games I believe.

I'm 18 but didn't really get into college football until 2006. So yeah, 2007 was a pretty good year to me even though we lost 4 games I believe.

Same here. Im 18 And The first game I truly remember sitting down and watching was the 06 Arkansas game. That might have been the angriest I'd been up to that point in my life.... And 07 was by and far the best season I experienced as a Vol fan.

I'm 19. Is every VN poster 19?

Not now!! But I was in 1965.

Tennessee Volunteers‎

Record: 8-1-2, .818 W-L% (8th of 120) ▫ Rank: 7th in Final AP Poll Conference: SEC (Schedule and Results) Coach: Doug Dickey (8-1-2).

● U.S. Postage Stamp $ .05

•● Movie Ticket $1.25

•● Gallon of Gas $ .24

•● New Car $2,614.00

•● New Home $13,600.00

•● Harvard Tuition $1,760.00

•● Average Income $6,469.00

Reactions: 3 people
At 42 I can say that I truly love my vols. That said, as time moves along life has a funny way of putting things like the sport you love into perspective. Perspective I didn't have at 19. I'm just glad the Kiffin-Dooley era ha happened when I have that perspective - no telling what it would have done to me at 19.

19, 20, 21, 26 what is wrong with all of you....get off of here and get a life....get outside and on the water ...hike the AT....read the some of the worlds greatest works of literature....learn to speak a 2nd or 3rd language....get on a bike and ride across the country....car camp....discover the beauty of classical music or how to play an instrument or even better yet discover a girl, Google it a 'girl'...

I'm in my early 60's and I enjoy sports, especially football but I'm not consumed by it...when I was 17-22 I was on campus at UT playing a sport, albeit a non revenue one, living in Gibbs but I was too busy even then going to school in addition to working 15-60 hours a week depending on the season and discovering so many great things to go to all the football games...

VN Store

Back