Phil Steele Picks Tennessee # 24

At first when I saw the headline, I was like “no way- that’s BS- even though I find that Steele really know his stuff- he’s wrong on this for sure”

Then, I looked at the list ….. I think he’s probably right as usual - all the teams ahead of us are stacked - I think we might be better than Oklahoma…. But maybe not.
I just can't put my head around Ole Mississippi being better than Tennessee....ever.

Many think we will have the best DLine in the sec, and one of the top OLines in the sec. So traditionally when you are dominant on both lines of scrimmage in our conference that’s a recipe for huge success, so based on that I see us surprising a lot of folks.
Those are some steep assumptions. I mean it’s possible that we have dominant lines of scrimmage. But can they stay healthy? That’s a big issue especially on the OL. Pearce is gonna see quite a few double teams so will another pass rusher step up? Hope so.

I certainly hope we have dominant lines of scrimmage. Because if we do? Then I agree we are gonna surprise people. We also have to hope that our WRs improve significantly from last year. Combined last year they dropped almost 10 TD passes. They have to be better.

Personally, we should be around 12-15. We have the potential to be top 5, but it is really all about Nico living up to the hype and not getting injured.

Relax, Nathan (my dog) and my cracked crystal ball both agree the UT will be either tied for first in the SEC or second. They said, sorry to disappoint, that quality depth on the OL will result in struggles with several teams. That we aren't Irish, but Ms. Luck will hug, squeeze, and fanny pat us. Consequently, the UT will have a TCU Cinderella type year. They said even the referees will favor us more than they have of late. Relax. I trust the dog and the ball, and the Heup, of course.

Great job with Transfer Portal and recruiting past years. It is a matter of chemistry at this point that will determine where they fall in the rankings. This team is very unpredictable. To me, we have the right coaches and players along with a culture. Time will tell.

At first when I saw the headline, I was like “no way- that’s BS- even though I find that Steele really know his stuff- he’s wrong on this for sure”

Then, I looked at the list ….. I think he’s probably right as usual - all the teams ahead of us are stacked - I think we might be better than Oklahoma…. But maybe not.
It’s funny that people assume games against teams like Missouri, NC State and Oklahoma are easy wins when they are not even close. Those 3 games could either propel us to a playoff appearance or send us to a .500 record and all are tossups. I believe we will at least 2 of the 3 and maybe all 3. None will be easy as all will be 1 score lines when starting.

Reactions: SpookyAction
He's not as good as he used to be not sure what changed but very noticeable. IMO about 6 teams in the SEC have the talent to make the 12 team P Off the main factor will be which team has a QB that has Heisman numbers. UGA & Bama have the best players but after that it will be whose QB and coaching takes that big step.
I don’t think he’s gotten worse. I think the roster turnover due to the portal has made it harder to be as accurate. It’d be easy to pick Kentucky at 6-6 if they didn’t have Vandagriff, but now we have to see how he picks things up in Lexington, could be a 9-10 win season for them, or he might need a year to learn the system well and they struggle to make a bowl. Miami is another example.. on paper their new QB should make them an ACC contender. But it’s hard to predict how a QB will perform in a new system with a new team in a new environment.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I'm tempted to believe Texas is a little high. But I think that's because their schedule is like a welcome gift from the conference. I think the money interests really want them to have a successful first season. I don't see them losing more than 3 (more likely 2). Even so, their transition may be a little more difficult than they might be expecting.

Other than that, I don't see anything to get worked-up about. We're going to have to prove it on the field, either way.
Whats weird to me is that Ewers, statistically, was only a hair better than Joe Milton last year, while in an easier conference.

Joe vs Quinn
64% vs 69%
20 tds vs 22 tds
9 rushing vs 5 rushing tds
152 rating vs 156 rating
#19 total offense vs #9 total offense

I don’t think Milton deserved a first round grade, but I don’t understand why Ewers has one.

Whats weird to me is that Ewers, statistically, was only a hair better than Joe Milton last year, while in an easier conference.

Joe vs Quinn
64% vs 69%
20 tds vs 22 tds
9 rushing vs 5 rushing tds
152 rating vs 156 rating
#19 total offense vs #9 total offense

I don’t think Milton deserved a first round grade, but I don’t understand why Ewers has one.
A lot of that is likability IMO, although Joe is a great individual and great teammate, he has a following that accentuates the bad and virtually downplayed the good. Ewers has been Loved and got the media backing out of HS as the #1 2021 National recruit going to Ohio State so the B10 media got on him. Then he goes to Texas and the B12 pumps him to bring $$ to the conference, then Texas goes to SEC and the machine the SEC is joined in. With their big 3 now on UGA. Alabama & now Texas as their money teams until their not. Although 69% completion is very good and is a common denominator to moving ball down the field with 1st downs one after another.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
Doesn't this just reflect roughly the level of recruiting in the SEC? Meaning, TN has been really good in talent acquisition under Heupel - but not elite. Seems like a pretty simple way to become an "expert" football analyst.
For sure, you need to be 1-3 in the SEC every year for a few years to compete for the title. Being 5-8th every year is a talent gap that hardly anyone could overcome through coaching and development

We have a tough game with NCSt that we should win and 3 other OOC games that we should win.

As for SEC, we have a favorable schedule with Vandy, Arky and MissSt. Plus we have KY and FL at Neyland, should win those tool. That leaves 3 tough games: at OK, at UGA and Bama at Neyland. Win one and we are going to SECCG and 12 team playoffs. We don't have to play Ole Miss, TX, Mizzou or LSU.

Ole Miss and Mizzou are the only other team with that good of a schedule.

Win the games we should and take one of the 3 toughest and we have a 10 win season going into the post-season!

Easy road for TX. Florida is down Miss St and TAMU aren’t scaring anyone.
UK will be a tougher game than most think. Candy is a win. Oklahoma in tough to predict.

A lot of preseason polls don't like the fact we have no returning starters in the secondary and seem to not buy into hype of Nico.

Steele likes Tennessee's Dline, ranks it #8 in the Nation, but LB and DB aren't in the top 70. He also has the OL at #8. But QB and RB in the #38 range. Receivers however at #15, so I think we know Nico will be top 20 by season's end. So...........We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: volbound1700

VN Store

Back