Phil Steele Picks Tennessee # 24

Reminds me of how they rated us before 2022. Only we are way more talented.

Elite d-line. More athletic LB's and DB's.

Maybe the most talented QB in the country.

Veteran o-line

Promising RB's

Elite athletes at WR.

Not as proven as you'd want, but I'll take the over BIG TIME.

Reminds me of how they rated us before 2022. Only we are way more talented.

Elite d-line. More athletic LB's and DB's.

Maybe the most talented QB in the country.

Veteran o-line

Promising RB's

Elite athletes at WR.

Not as proven as you'd want, but I'll take the over BIG TIME.
We are certainly trending up.

We really need to have this next recruiting/transfer class hit big time and if it does I think next year could be an SEC title contention year for us if we can upgrade our roster at crucial spots.

This year will be very interesting though depending on how it goes which makes getting to 9 wins or above even more important to have that momentum for next year.

At first when I saw the headline, I was like “no way- that’s BS- even though I find that Steele really know his stuff- he’s wrong on this for sure”

Then, I looked at the list ….. I think he’s probably right as usual - all the teams ahead of us are stacked - I think we might be better than Oklahoma…. But maybe not.
Who is slinging the ball this year at LSU? Mizzou may look a little different this year with that RB gone. Did they lose anyone from their OL and DL? Think I remember us struggling on O against them.

Yep welcome to expansion...the destroyer of rival games

is this a good time to tell you they aren't playing next year either?

You KNOW that is issing Kiffin . Just when Saban leaves, a new Coach arrives, OM has their best team in forever, and He doesn't get to play bama.

Reactions: WillisWG
Weren’t we ranked around 20th in the preseason poll for 2022? That season came together nicely. UT is in a good spot right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sivad
A lot of that is likability IMO, although Joe is a great individual and great teammate, he has a following that accentuates the bad and virtually downplayed the good. Ewers has been Loved and got the media backing out of HS as the #1 2021 National recruit going to Ohio State so the B10 media got on him. Then he goes to Texas and the B12 pumps him to bring $$ to the conference, then Texas goes to SEC and the machine the SEC is joined in. With their big 3 now on UGA. Alabama & now Texas as their money teams until their not. Although 69% completion is very good and is a common denominator to moving ball down the field with 1st downs one after another.
Agreed, just makes me think that he’s probably a 4th talent getting 1st round attention because he’s in a big market… which is what you alluded to. It’s whatever. Stilling rooting he’d for Joe to get his chance in NE!

It’s funny that people assume games against teams like Missouri, NC State and Oklahoma are easy wins when they are not even close. Those 3 games could either propel us to a playoff appearance or send us to a .500 record and all are tossups. I believe we will at least 2 of the 3 and maybe all 3. None will be easy as all will be 1 score lines when starting.
None will be easy. Away game dont know enough about OK, but think we win it but a lot of unknowns and variables justify. NC State the same but neutral site Charlotte. These are the Early games. Missouri game at home later in the season so the SEC schedule the grind could take its toll on both teams. 2-1 & 3-0 is definitely a high probability.

Reactions: hUTch2002
None will be easy. Away game dont know enough about OK, but think we win it but a lot of unknowns and variables justify. NC State the same but neutral site Charlotte. These are the Early games. Missouri game at home later in the season so the SEC schedule the grind could take its toll on both teams. 2-1 & 3-0 is definitely a high probability.
Good to see you out of the PF!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We don't play Missouri this year... So Drunkwitz can't stand on business anymore with us for a while.

We may not like or agree with his opinion but Phil Steele is unrivaled as far as college football analysis goes. His magazine is THE holy grail of college football previews.

Factamondo. Steele covers everything from giving each player a National position ranking to ranking each position group on every team. Some just don't get out much, I reckon.

Reactions: FBtime
Good to see you out of the PF!
I have been out of the PF because it is a 360 degree cycle of the same ole reruns. Too many levels of crazy. Country is a mess and people are going to defend their tribe no matter who or what their candidate does or doesn't do. I will say it again, both are unfit for the job.

Reactions: hUTch2002
And, He has the Vols tied for 5th in the SEC with lsu, mizzou, & Okla.
1. uga
1.Texas
3.bama
4. omiss
5.lsu
5.Mizz
5.okla
5.UT
LSU has all their toughest games (Bama, Ole Miss, OU) at home. Mizz has a comparatively weak schedule (only 2 of top 8). OU has a VERY tough schedule and will not end up in the top 7. Bama has a brutal schedule (UGA, @vols, Mizz, @lsu, @OU, AU) and will not be in top 5. Vols will have to beat OU and Bama to end up in the top 5.

We may not like or agree with his opinion but Phil Steele is unrivaled as far as college football analysis goes. His magazine is THE holy grail of college football previews.
I guess. But preseason predictions tend to crumble quickly. We were ranked 23rd in the preseason in 2022. None of these guys have a clue and are just guessing. We lost very few guys from last years team and finished above 24. There’s no logic for us to be there

Reactions: lukeneyland
I guess. But preseason predictions tend to crumble quickly. We were ranked 23rd in the preseason in 2022. None of these guys have a clue and are just guessing. We lost very few guys from last years team and finished above 24. There’s no logic for us to be there
I don't disagree with you there

His SEC rankings are about on par but being 24 nationally is way off. Tennessee could beat a lot of the non-SEC teams ahead of them.

Everyone is hyping up Missouri but I watched their Spring game and I think they have lost a step from the 2023 run. Mark my words, Missouri will fall off and likely go 8-4 or something (kind of like Tennessee did in 2023).

I still think that Florida lost (and to a degree Missouri as well) in 2023 really hurt our national perception but that may not be a bad thing as we could be undervalued. SEC is deep though so I could see us being in the 7-9 in SEC standings range if things don't come together.

Ugga 8-0
Texas 7-1
Ole Miss 6-2
LSU 6-2
Bama 6-2
Oklahoma 5-3
Tennessee 5-3 (lose ugga, okie, Bama)
Mizzou 5-3

Like some people have said 9-3 is not bad they would have to beat Bama or okie to maybe get an away game playoff

VN Store

Back