Pitiful . Failed to realize how bad this was. Seems like every game I watch a transfer from UT making a big play.

Henry T is still a liability in pass coverage, but I agree with e could use him. Evans is an upgrade vs Gray. Theo Jackson is an all SEC candidate, whereas Lawrence still isn’t starting. We had 4 QBs transfer and still are in much better shape because of Hooker. Payton has been a nice addition to the WR Corp.

Sometimes it’s addition but subtraction. We needed the roster turnover to get rid of “me first” guys.

No…just no.

College football teams who were crushed by transfer portal losses this offseason (247sports.com)
(Photo: 247Sports)
Nobody got hit harder by a transfer portal exodus than Tennessee. Depending on how one chooses to calculate things, the Vols lost six or seven starters to the portal, and that stat doesn’t really describe the totality of the losses. The Vols lost their top 2020 recruit (Key Lawrence) and their starting QB for much of the last four years (Jarrett Guarantano). They lost two of the SEC’s better running backs (Eric Gray, Ty Chandler), a starting receiver (Brandon Johnson), two starting-caliber offensive tackles (Wanya Morris, Jahmir Johnson), their best pass rusher (Deandre Johnson) and two leading tacklers (Henry To’o To’o, Quavaris Crouch).
If one were to go solely by recruiting rankings, Tennessee lost seven of their 10 most talented players to the transfer portal in one offseason. That listing doesn’t even count the number of their 2021 signees who asked out of their NLIs after the Vols fired Jeremy Pruitt.
And while the Vols did make some gains back via the portal, they don’t come close to replacing what the previous group provided. Tennessee didn’t just get crushed by the portal; the string of exits might legitimately set Josh Heupel’s rebuild back a year or two.
Lol ok 😂

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
We lost more talent than any team in the country. 7 of our 10 highest rated players. To claim we mainly just lost bench warmers is to ignore the facts

That makes our coaching job world class to overcome those kind of losses attributable only to our last staff. Maybe Coach of the year worthy, especially with the official induced loss to UM FACTORED IN. Not missing the RB’s too much but the ol guys could have helped with our injuries.

The character of the players is especially impressive in the face of the number of fans that have proven they fall short with antics in the stands and shots in the public forums.

Reactions: Vol8188
Losing JG was a huge bonus for us - probably offsets the loss of most of those other guys combined. There is nothing worse than having a QB who practices well enough to be named starter but just can’t cut it in the games.

One of the talking heads (a former coach) was on the radio talking about the difficulties of picking the right QB. He said that outside of actual scrimmages you don't really get to see how well the QB can read the D, make the “right” decision on the read option, etc. This was after he was asked how Milton could have been named starter over Hooker based on what we’ve seen since Hooker became starter. He pointed out that Milton won the starting job at Michigan just as he did at Tennessee - based on performance at practice.

I guess the question is, if Milton had not been injured, would he have been benched by now (as happened at Michigan) or would we have been locked into another JG type death spiral…

UT does need more talented players. That's an undeniable fact. Those guys being gone aren't the reason UT is where it is... and most opponents show the Vols more respect than you do. It has been a "process" to land the roster where it is. Along with the possibility that some of those guys could not come back due to the scandal... I'm not sure you want a guy like Henry T in the locker room right now. These kids are trying to learn how to be a team... he's trying to improve his draft stock.

I would LOVE to have Jahmir Johnson on this roster. Other than that... I'm neutral to no on the rest.
Ja’von Payton was and is a better trade off over Brandon Johnson. Agree and glad Too Too isn’t here no more than as J.G. Is gone ! J.J. I’m not as adamant as you are...Because he seem to make to many mistakes and penalties. He also seem to stay banged up and never became a real stater. I agree we needed the depth though.

Reactions: sjt18
College football teams who were crushed by transfer portal losses this offseason (247sports.com)
Nobody got hit harder by a transfer portal exodus than Tennessee. Depending on how one chooses to calculate things, the Vols lost six or seven starters to the portal, and that stat doesn’t really describe the totality of the losses. The Vols lost their top 2020 recruit (Key Lawrence) and their starting QB for much of the last four years (Jarrett Guarantano). They lost two of the SEC’s better running backs (Eric Gray, Ty Chandler), a starting receiver (Brandon Johnson), two starting-caliber offensive tackles (Wanya Morris, Jahmir Johnson), their best pass rusher (Deandre Johnson) and two leading tacklers (Henry To’o To’o, Quavaris Crouch).
If one were to go solely by recruiting rankings, Tennessee lost seven of their 10 most talented players to the transfer portal in one offseason. That listing doesn’t even count the number of their 2021 signees who asked out of their NLIs after the Vols fired Jeremy Pruitt.
And while the Vols did make some gains back via the portal, they don’t come close to replacing what the previous group provided. Tennessee didn’t just get crushed by the portal; the string of exits might legitimately set Josh Heupel’s rebuild back a year or two.
"This too shall pass." The University of Tennessee is going to be around for a long time. Players, good and bad, come and go.

We are a better team without those guys even with the depth issues we face. The 2021 Vols could easily beat the 2020 Vols.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Losing JG was a huge bonus for us - probably offsets the loss of most of those other guys combined. There is nothing worse than having a QB who practices well enough to be named starter but just can’t cut it in the games.

One of the talking heads (a former coach) was on the radio talking about the difficulties of picking the right QB. He said that outside of actual scrimmages you don't really get to see how well the QB can read the D, make the “right” decision on the read option, etc. This was after he was asked how Milton could have been named starter over Hooker based on what we’ve seen since Hooker became starter. He pointed out that Milton won the starting job at Michigan just as he did at Tennessee - based on performance at practice.

I guess the question is, if Milton had not been injured, would he have been benched by now (as happened at Michigan) or would we have been locked into another JG type death spiral…
Yep. When he words it or plays it that JG was a big loss , it discredits the whole article.

Reactions: sjt18

And after all those devastating losses, which team would you want — this year’s or last year’s?

Reactions: Orange75
And yet, I feel more positive about the future direction of our program than I have since Kiffin's year.

That's the difference in your quality of life and the OP's... They'll be miserable forever, but being able to see life's positives will help you be a happier and more fulfilled person...

Looking at that list-
I would like to have Lawrence on the roster
Gitmo is not missed
Gray would be nice as it allows Smalls to recover
Chandler is not missed
Johnson is solid but a luxury at this point
Morris or Johnson would be nice on the roster
D Johnson was dismissed with a legal issue if memory serves
ToToToo went to Bama so he is dead to me
Crouch would be very welcomed on this roster

But I can’t point to a single one as the difference in the record.
Lawrence 35 tackles 19 solo
Gitmo 33 of 49 248 1td 3int
Gray 64 303 4.7 1td
Chandler 121 671 5.5 9td
B Johnson 27 327 8td
Morris no stats found
J Johnson no stats found
ToToToo don’t care
Crouch 65 tackles 32 solo
D Johnson 8 tackles 1.5 sacks
Are those the guys we had when we lost to Georgia State last year? I'm thinking perhaps we're slightly better off....oh nevermind

I would think that if you believe this staff is good at developing talent, the players we lost would also be playing better. It is what it is, and we can't change it, but I believe this hurt UT.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
If we had some of those guys, Grey, Morris and Johnson in particular, we would get a few more wins this year most likely. As for the rebuild, we are already ahead of where I expected us to be even if we had all those guys. The team we have now without them is better than the teams we had with them, so…….

Benched. It just made the image look better but Milton could have came back it was a win for the coach .

Reactions: Sarms58
Ja’von Payton was and is a better trade off over Brandon Johnson. Agree and glad Too Too isn’t here no more than as J.G. Is gone ! J.J. I’m not as adamant as you are...Because he seem to make to many mistakes and penalties. He also seem to stay banged up and never became a real stater. I agree we needed the depth though.

Brandon Johnson having a better year than Payton. Despite Dillion Gabriel being out for the year he still making the best of his situation. 327 rec yards and 8 rec TD.

VN Store

Back