Please tell me Sampson is NOT leaving us !

In part because schools started having boosters pay them.

In part because the pro league stopped taking players right out of high school and college was pretty much the only choice (and likely the best paying choice until the pros.)

Yeah, I think that's part of it. I suspect though that if we strip away all the artifice surrounding the situation, what it really boils down to is a reaction to the TV money. I think some see (saw?) those numbers, decided that the players specific to the two money sports should get that money, and that anything that tilted the balance of power toward the players to achieve that goal was right. Everything that's come after is just chipping away at the foundations until the wall comes down.

I always wondered why no one sued the NFL to demand the right to go straight out of high school. I don't see how the NFL denying people the right to go pro earlier was any "fairer" to athletes with potential professional careers, and it was obvious for decades that they were using college as a pawn to do their player development for them. The schools walked right into that one, unfortunately. We'd be in such a better place today if the NFL had operated an 8 team development league for their prospects -- and left college sports to the college players. The stadiums would be a little smaller, probably, but at least we'd get to hear the bands again.

Last edited:
People still don’t seem to get that NIL and the portal are giving teams (not named bama and uga) a fighting chance with elite recruits. Also, Bama and Georgia can no longer force five star recruits to stay in their program for 3+ years before they get a chance to play anymore. Those teams still win on NSD because they’re at the top of the heat right now, but the young players on their teams that aren’t getting an opportunity to play now have the chance to hit the portal and go elsewhere.

Yeah, no they aren't. Those teams are just exponentially increasing their once hidden cheating and putting it out in the open

You said the athletes must be kept under control. You - not me - wrote the word control and implied, rather overtly, that the players were being controlled in some way for the benefit of others.

I didn't misinterpet anything. I'm poking at how strongly negative you implied that strucutre of the previous hundred years of college sports to be, as evidenced by your using the word control. Which is why I asked, albeit rhetorically, about the motivations that would drive them to accept such an arrangement for so long if it was so oppressive - a word I used because the very defintion of oppression is being subject to control.

Again, you misinterpreted my attempt at snark and sarcasm to make a point. That’s entirely my fault for not assuming it would go over your head.

Fans want more control, players want flexibility and options. Those two things are at odds with one another.

That’s it…next time I’ll use blue font so there’s no confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's part of it. I suspect though that if we strip away all the artifice surrounding the situation, what it really boils down to is a reaction to the TV money. I think some see (saw?) those numbers, decided that the players specific to the two money sports should get that money, and that anything that tilted the balance of power toward the players to achieve that goal was right. Everything that's come after is just chipping away at the foundations until the wall comes down.

I always wondered why no one sued the NFL to demand the right to go straight out of high school. I don't see how the NFL denying people the right to go pro earlier was any "fairer" to athletes with potential professional careers, and it was obvious for decades that they were using college as a pawn to do their player development for them. The schools walked right into that one, unfortunately. We'd be in such a better place today if the NFL had operated an 8 team development league for their prospects -- and left college sports to the college players. The stadiums would be a little smaller, probably, but at least we'd get to hear the bands again.
I suspect the NFL is trying to avoid bad publicity because it's the very, very rare kid who would do well, just as in the NBA.

MLB takes teenagers all the time and I think, oddly, the NHL does too. I'm surprised by the NHL but I've never played hockey and have no idea how physical it is other than the hits I see on TV now and then.

It'd be bad for the NFL and NBA to see some 19yo get demolished by a 30yo grown man and hauled off in prime time.

Imagine one of Bosas or Donald or Parsons lowering the boom on Nico. He's not physically ready for that.

The reality is this isn’t basketball, very very few if any are ready to make the jump from high school to pro football. Bodies need time to get stronger and develop. It isn’t a good idea and the dangers of getting hurt would go up big time. The transition to high school to pro’s is many times greater in football from a physical standpoint than basketball or baseball. Pretty much everyone needs time to develop before going to pro’s. It is a good rule from a safety perspective more than anything. Most NFL teams aren’t going to even consider drafting a player out of high school and that is just the truth. GBO

I don’t really understand the inside of NIL but here’s my outside views
NIL and scholarships are 2 completely separate things. Scholarships are paid by the school and NIL paid by boosters. Just like the NFL draft, players are paid on potential with NIL and the more potential / need a school has for that particular position, the more they are offered. Few players are originally offered big contracts. ( A Taylor was not getting rich from a local cookie company).
Here’s what I’d like to see
Since players are now professional and see the business side of sports after college, they should have to do what they will be doing when they leave college. Sign a 4 year contract agreeing to how much they will be paid each year. If they leave before the 4 years, they have a buyout amount they have to pay back. Incentives for making all conference or AA teams. Give all sports teams full scholarships for a set roster size. (No more partial scholarships in “minor” sports). Either fund the sport or drop it. Walkons can still play.
I see nothing illegal about a contract with a collective. We all know the coaches run the collective but at least this reduces chances of transfers and other schools raiding certain players, without collectives ponying up the buyout. Everyone gets a chance to get their “rookie” contract and negotiate what they think they worth, but no free agency before 4 years.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Not even a like comparison. A like comparison would be getting my paycheck on top of my workplace paying for my food, housing, and bills. (Scholarship). I see what you tried to do there though.
And food and lodging CAN be part of the deal a company offers + salary, usually in more remote areas, oil field work, etc.

What happened with athletes is the market determined a long time ago that the value of some players to the school was worth MORE than the value of the scholarship. So boosters paid some players.

When NIL came in, it became quickly obvious that Bryce Young was worth far, far more to Alabama than just a scholarship.

I'm not insisting you say that's good for the sport or anything, but that's the "market value" at work. Some coach said a portal QB costs about $1-2M now, so apparently that's the market.

I CONTINUALLY bitch about the price of stuff to the point my wife just doesn't take me to the grocery store. It's pointless for me to insist that beef is ridiculously high or there's no way fresh salmon should cost that.

The market doesn't care. These players are worth scholarship, room, board, perks + NIL money. They are worth that because they're getting offered that.

I don’t really understand the inside of NIL but here’s my outside views
NIL and scholarships are 2 completely separate things. Scholarships are paid by the school and NIL paid by boosters. Just like the NFL draft, players are paid on potential with NIL and the more potential / need a school has for that particular position, the more they are offered. Few players are originally offered big contracts. ( A Taylor was not getting rich from a local cookie company).
Here’s what I’d like to see
Since players are now professional and see the business side of sports after college, they should have to do what they will be doing when they leave college. Sign a 4 year contract agreeing to how much they will be paid each year. If they leave before the 4 years, they have a buyout amount they have to pay back. Incentives for making all conference or AA teams. Give all sports teams full scholarships for a set roster size. (No more partial scholarships in “minor” sports). Either fund the sport or drop it. Walkons can still play.
I see nothing illegal about a contract with a collective. We all know the coaches run the collective but at least this reduces chances of transfers and other schools raiding certain players, without collectives ponying up the buyout. Everyone gets a chance to get their “rookie” contract and negotiate what they think they worth, but no free agency before 4 years.
Sensible. As pros, the players will unionize and collective bargain for wages and to have the academic participation be optional for players. It'll be extremely difficult to force an employee to go to school for some field other than what you're employing them for. (Should your employer be able to require you to get a business degree if you're employed as a roofer? Or any degree?)

The big thing for the schools is collective bargaining forcing significant sharing of the $50M or so each SEC team will get in media money. They desperately don't want to do that so they are trying to find a way to avoid the players being seen legally as professionals and employees.

The sadness is the schools dropping other programs and some schools ending all programs. I really wish that could be avoided but I'm doubtful the courts can easily distinguish legally between schools as sports revenue generating and non-generating.

half-baked-glass.gif

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The reality is this isn’t basketball, very very few if any are ready to make the jump from high school to pro football. Bodies need time to get stronger and develop. It isn’t a good idea and the dangers of getting hurt would go up big time. The transition to high school to pro’s is many times greater in football from a physical standpoint than basketball or baseball. Pretty much everyone needs time to develop before going to pro’s. It is a good rule from a safety perspective more than anything. Most NFL teams aren’t going to even consider drafting a player out of high school and that is just the truth. GBO
We're essentially a minor league system for the NFL so why not just form one that's separate from the college game? Just do what college baseball and MLB does. Similar rules.

Negotiated a deal… God I hate what college football has become now
And it’s only gonna get worse from here. Pay to play is here to stay. And those who think it’s gonna “level the playing field” are kidding themselves. The powerhouses will remain on top while everyone else chases their coattails. The more things change the more they stay the same.

And it’s only gonna get worse from here. Pay to play is here to stay. And those who think it’s gonna “level the playing field” are kidding themselves. The powerhouses will remain on top while everyone else chases their coattails. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Sadly you’re right and I’m slowly losing interest in college football because of it.

So you like communism? You want the distribution of wealth amongst players who have less drawing power to be paid the same just because it's fair in your eyes? You believe in taking away people's ability to earn money on their NIL which is constitutionally allowed for all Americans. That sucks for you.

Most of you are just selfish "Preserve the game" who gives a damn if trample on someone's same rights that you would not give up.
How in the world is what that poster said communism? He has valid points. Do all players have the same drawing power and deserve equal pay? No. But if you are gonna test it like a business then every player on the team deserves to get paid.

How would you feel if you played for TN? Busted your butt everyday and then you see other guys gettin big NIL deals while you get nothing? Is that rair? No it’s not. And you can say oh well they don’t have the drawing power because they are backups. What happens if the starters get hurt? Then all of a sudden those backups matter.

It’s all BS now. It’s a business and should be ran like one. The best employees get more money but everyone gets paid.

How in the world is what that poster said communism? He has valid points. Do all players have the same drawing power and deserve equal pay? No. But if you are gonna test it like a business then every player on the team deserves to get paid.

How would you feel if you played for TN? Busted your butt everyday and then you see other guys gettin big NIL deals while you get nothing? Is that rair? No it’s not. And you can say oh well they don’t have the drawing power because they are backups. What happens if the starters get hurt? Then all of a sudden those backups matter.

It’s all BS now. It’s a business and should be ran like one. The best employees get more money but everyone gets paid.

Agree. I doubt there is anyone on here that would continue to work for their company if everyone got paid but them.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If they unionize that means they become employees of the schools. And that means the courts will eventually rule that 50% of all the money has to go to women’s sports under Title IX. You won’t be able to spend it all on football and men’s basketball.
And that’s when schools will start cutting sports that are not profitable. Like woman’s golf.

Reactions: feathersax
That and they still have scholarships, while others who practice and play don’t.
Somebody with an NIL deal should pay their own bills.
You want this thing to run like a business, fine. Pay your own way and give the schollies to those who need them.
Rant over.
They should be compensated what the market will bear. NIL + scholly

VN Store

Back