Please tell me Sampson is NOT leaving us !

Yes damn I hate that these kids can finally provide for themselves and their families life changing wealth if they use their money properly. Only thing worst than this would be if universities offered education on how to maximize the advantages of these payouts. Damn what a terrible idea on cutting in the players on the billions generated by college football.
They already get a free ride and education they shouldn’t get paid.

there’s needs to be regulation on NIL, that’s what we all can agree on. But what that looks likes, no one knows and the NCAA is scared to even try.

But let’s say not having to choose one of the other right off the bat. But let’s say that if you get paid over a certain amount, then you have to choose between NIL or Scholarship. As long as it’s under a certain amount fine. But when kids are getting 7 figures, they can afford to pay for there schooling and let that scholarship go to someone on the team that does not have NIL or is a practice sqaud player. If they put a cap on it, and if you exceed that cap then you are reliable for you on payments. But stay under and you can still draw NIL. This will ensure the talent is not stacked on the same team with a school that has more money than someone else. By capping it, it leaves more money to also go around to other players. Issue is, I don’t know what a good number is for the cap
I would never agree to limitations/or regulation on NIL. Only a person who is anti capitalism would. I Dont want it allowed on me. Why would I approve of it on someone else?

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
there’s needs to be regulation on NIL, that’s what we all can agree on. But what that looks likes, no one knows and the NCAA is scared to even try.

But let’s say not having to choose one of the other right off the bat. But let’s say that if you get paid over a certain amount, then you have to choose between NIL or Scholarship. As long as it’s under a certain amount fine. But when kids are getting 7 figures, they can afford to pay for there schooling and let that scholarship go to someone on the team that does not have NIL or is a practice sqaud player. If they put a cap on it, and if you exceed that cap then you are reliable for you on payments. But stay under and you can still draw NIL. This will ensure the talent is not stacked on the same team with a school that has more money than someone else. By capping it, it leaves more money to also go around to other players. Issue is, I don’t know what a good number is for the cap

There’s a reason why the NCAA is scared to try what you’re proposing…a really good reason.

It’s not VN without the annual freak out thread of the week
There is a radio host that can't keep his show on a real station that would rather throw out wild rumors than do actual show prep. Riles up his dozen or so listeners and they bring that mess onto Vol Nation.

NIL is not, currently, offered by the school.

If you have a scholarship in school AND a second source of income, the school can't say "you make too much money to have a scholarship" like the govt does with school grants.

Would you deny a normal, non athlete, highly intelligent student who earned a full ride scholarship academically but who was also a multi million dollar model the scholarship they earned via academics? Why?

They EARNED it academically and deserve it, regardless of their income elsewhere.

It is the same for an athlete. They EARNED that scholarship and their outside income shouldn't matter.

As an example, Bronny James is on scholarship at USC. LeBron could easily afford to cover his tuition. In your eyes, he's too rich to get a scholarship?

You'd discriminate against the rich?

Negotiated a deal… God I hate what college football has become now
A to the MEN!

Me as well. I used to be able to tell you where all the kids where from, what high school they went to, what grade they were in, and if the used a redshirt... Now, I can't tell you crap our roster!

They already get a free ride and education they shouldn’t get paid.
And the programs gets nothing out of them, right? Without football most of these kids wouldn’t be in college. They’re there for the product they put on the field and most of these programs are compensated very well bc of the skills of these young men.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
And the programs gets nothing out of them, right? Without football most of these kids wouldn’t be in college. They’re there for the product they put on the field and most of these programs are compensated very well bc of the skills of these young men.
Yep they are hired mercenaries

NIL is not, currently, offered by the school.

If you have a scholarship in school AND a second source of income, the school can't say "you make too much money to have a scholarship" like the govt does with school grants.

Would you deny a normal, non athlete, highly intelligent student who earned a full ride scholarship academically but who was also a multi million dollar model the scholarship they earned via academics? Why?

They EARNED it academically and deserve it, regardless of their income elsewhere.

It is the same for an athlete. They EARNED that scholarship and their outside income shouldn't matter.

As an example, Bronny James is on scholarship at USC. LeBron could easily afford to cover his tuition. In your eyes, he's too rich to get a scholarship?

You'd discriminate against the rich?
You’re not getting what I’m saying. The NCAA needs to put regulations in place. The NCAA can change the guidelines and say if you receive x amount, then you’re ineligible for scholarship, but still eligible to play. The school wouldn’t be setting the guidelines, the guidelines would be set by the NCAA.

Or the NCAA could say you can only draw NIL money, or scholarship money, but not both, regardless who is paying it out.

I would never agree to limitations/or regulation on NIL. Only a person who is anti capitalism would. I Dont want it allowed on me. Why would I approve of it on someone else?
I am all for the free market. But NFL and the NBA have salary caps. Each employer has a max salary they are going to pay. No one is stopping anyone from making money. But NIL needs to be looked at like the NFL looks at free agency. If you don’t cap the players, then cap the universitys. Make them manage a college team, like the NFL manages its team. Let the NCAA give the FBS schools a cap number and tell them they have to stay under that. And let the schools control the NIL going forward.

I am all for the free market. But NFL and the NBA have salary caps. Each employer has a max salary they are going to pay. No one is stopping anyone from making money. But NIL needs to be looked at like the NFL looks at free agency. If you don’t cap the players, then cap the universitys. Make them manage a college team, like the NFL manages its team. Let the NCAA give the FBS schools a cap number and tell them they have to stay under that. And let the schools control the NIL going forward.
The pro leagues have players unions that negotiate CBAs with the owners to set those caps. Somehow I don’t think you would be supportive of college athletes being allowed to unionize. Just a hunch.

Also it’s already been ruled in court that the NCAA cannot unilaterally limit the ability of players to monetize their NIL.

The pro leagues have players unions that negotiate CBAs with the owners to set those caps. Somehow I don’t think you would be supportive of college athletes being allowed to unionize. Just a hunch.

Also it’s already been ruled in court that the NCAA cannot unilaterally limit the ability of players to monetize their NIL.
Union or non union, I am for whatever is best for the University, NCAA and the player. There’s actually a lawsuit now brought by former players wanting to unionize, or debate whether they are paid employees and of the university. What we are seeing is just the tip of the ice burg. There’s going to be more come from all this when the dust settles, and the NCAA deals with all these lawsuits.

Remember, it was lawsuits that made the ncaa change their minds about players making money. We all know it was never meant to be “pay for play” type stuff, but that’s exactly what it is and the NCAA knows it and they are scared to touch it fearing another lawsuit.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution

It’s a hot mess no doubt but idk the solutions are as cut and dried as some think.

For example scholarship $$ are paid by the school and are what tie the athletes to the school under specific rules. You know the whole pesky inconvenient college student athlete go to class thing.

NIL $$ are private and paid via outside donors. Under NIL alone even if somehow it was legal to force players to “pay” for their own scholarships all you’d have is a bunch of paid free agents with no ties to the school or school rules with no monitored class attendance free study halls etc.

“Regular” students who don’t get athletic scholarships and pay their own way aren’t bound by any of these restrictions bc they don’t act as agents of the schools.

Maybe there are obvious workarounds to all of this but I think the real solution somehow lies in setting “$$ caps” on each position that every school has to follow. But mercenary coaches and NIL donors would probably still find work arounds.

Money corrupts. And unregulated $$ corrupt absolutely.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class

VN Store

Back