Poll about Nico Iamaleava with one caveat

If Nico was just an old school scholarship redshirt fresman, no NIL, how would he rate?

• Superstar

• Ahead of schedule

• About where you would expect him to be

• Behind schedule

• Complete bust

Results are only viewable after voting.
The problem here is, he is not a regular scholarship guy. He is a hired player/employee (which ever you like). If you hire someone to do a job, and after a reasonable time they do not preform up to expectations, you usually find a legal way to let them go. This is where we are with Nico. When is enough time? As with any employee, you can tell them of your concerns to let them know where they stand. This is where Nico is with many fans. Sorry for this hard explanation, but this is the world that has been created. As again with Nico, when does the staff get enough?
This is EXACTLY why I have stated my opinion of NIL so strongly. My problem with your post is completely ignored the basic tenant of the poll. Please go back and read the poll question and think about your answer in that context.

Please remember the basic tenant of this poll. Do not in any way consider NIL in the thought process. Take the time to analyze based purely on the fact that he is a redshirt freshman getting ready for 8th start, not the size of his contract.

Please remember the basic tenant of this poll. Do not in any way consider NIL in the thought process. Take the time to analyze based purely on the fact that he is a redshirt freshman getting ready for 8th start, not the size of his contract.
He is not just your average redshirt freshman. He’s the highest rated qb we’ve landed since Peyton Manning probably. I know that’s unfair to hold him to that standard, but I think most would agree they would have expected a little bit quicker decision making and crisper passes from him in these SEC games up to this point.

It’s a tough question because the line isn’t doing him any favors. He may just be rattled from the limited amount of time he has, leading to errant throws. But it’s too tough to tell at this point. Either way, the potential is obvious and I believe he will figure it out.

Reactions: tbh and LittleVol
He is not just your average redshirt freshman. He’s the highest rated qb we’ve landed since Peyton Manning probably. I know that’s unfair to hold him to that standard, but I think most would agree they would have expected a little bit quicker decision making and crisper passes from him in these SEC games up to this point.

It’s a tough question because the line isn’t doing him any favors. He may just be rattled from the limited amount of time he has, leading to errant throws. But it’s too tough to tell at this point. Either way, the potential is obvious and I believe he will figure it out.
That is a very well thought out and well written response. I have found myself comparing him to Peyton. The pressure from SEC defenses has him looking at the line a bit. The game is at lightning speed right now. He was making the right read against Forida, just missing on some. Chaz Nimrod did him no favors with a drop on a perfect pass and a very poor decision by Nimrod to go after a pass that was right in the center of the 5 on Bru McCoy's chest. Once the game slows back down, then we will see his potential. That might not be until next year, but only time will tell. This weekend is a big measuring stick.

Reactions: RockyTop140
This is one of the reasons why I guessed the Vols would be 8-4 this year. New WRs, New OL, and a talented freshman QB. Anyone who has watched much football should have known Nico would have flashes of brilliance (TD pass vs OU) and times where he looks lost. Still has a chance to be great but it's up to him to learn from his mistakes and to slow the game down as he becomes more comfortable.

BTW, Vols were 8-4 in Peyton's freshman year too. Struggled in some early games but by the end of that year, he was beginning to figure it out. Vols destroyed a solid VT team in the Gator Bowl that year.

This is one of the reasons why I guessed the Vols would be 8-4 this year. New WRs, New OL, and a talented freshman QB. Anyone who has watched much football should have known Nico would have flashes of brilliance (TD pass vs OU) and times where he looks lost. Still has a chance to be great but it's up to him to learn from his mistakes and to slow the game down as he becomes more comfortable.

BTW, Vols were 8-4 in Peyton's freshman year too. Struggled in some early games but by the end of that year, he was beginning to figure it out. Vols destroyed a solid VT team in the Gator Bowl that year.
Very good analysis. I agree with what you say. And no, it isn't because I feel the same way when it comes to your PM comparison. 😁

Perfectly fair assessment.

His skittish behavior keeps him from setting his feet properly and getting to his reads on time.

plus the line is absolutely getting worked which doesn’t help.

People want to move heard but he needs help as heals and he needs the reps to. He’s only a true sophomore

Reactions: RockyTop140
Watched a few quick film breakdowns and Nico really isn't as far off as I thought. In game against Florida I was pretty critical of him but a lot of his struggles are from LT and RB issues in pass pro. The play calls were there too.

I just hope we can clean it up and get him back on a growth track instead of playing survival ball.

What does NIL have to do with anything? That is separate from football. Pre NIL he would still be getting the bag we just wouldn't now how much it is. People act like they just hand these kids money, they work for it. NIL gives them the opportunity to monetize their fame. Nico is Nico and he right on track for what should be expected for a recruit of his stature.

True freshmen having crazy success is very rare. It normally comes from desperation not design. Perfect example is Williams in Bama. Had it not been for the past 2 years of portal defections and bad recruiting he would not be starting. Look at how many 4 and 5 star WR's bama lost the last 2 years and Agiye Hall losing his whole mind. Those guys stay and Williams is in the same position Matthews is in. The difference in Williams and Matthews is not talent it Williams plays In an offense where WR's are not asked to do much and they let him run a super simple route tree. WR's at UT have to run a lot of option routes and that takes time to learn.

Nico is in a position where he is constrained for whatever reason. CJH does not want to risk him because he is not comfortable with the backup situation? It's like since Hendon tore his ACL CJH does not want his QB's to run? Milton showed in situations where there are designed runs he could execute. But they rarely came. With Nico it is even more egregious. Hooker used to have quite a few designed runs per game.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I really don’t understand why anyone cares how much his NIL is unless you are one of the big contributors. Even then, you are paying him for public appearances and sponsorships.

Reactions: hjeagle1vol
I think he's understandably green (and the OL doesn't do him many favors these days), but it is on the coaching staff to make adjustments and scheme around the capabilities of the offense as a unit. Like some others have mentioned, some quicker developing pass plays could help develop a better rhythm (and hopefully avoid 3rd and long where the playcall options are reasonably limited).

These situations are where a coaching staff can really justify their contracts...finding a way to shore up personnel shortcomings while still developing young talent. It's not about dumbing down the offense, it's about recognizing the skill set of the squad and putting that to its full use. Otherwise, it's like trying to use a fine steak knife to eat a bowl of soup.

Reactions: BenGrimm
The Sports Source program compared his numbers with Peyton, Casey Clausen, and Tee Martin at the same point in their first year as a starter and they were all virtually identical. The other three had better offensive lines in front of them as well. The biggest difference was the elevated expectations.
I wonder how a true comparison could be made with former QB's unless you can factor the #1 caveat we keep reading about Nico. We keep hearing that JH limits the play calling because " he can't trust Nico" or " doesn't want to put too much responsibility on " It's the same thing we heard last year with JM.

The Sports Source program compared his numbers with Peyton, Casey Clausen, and Tee Martin at the same point in their first year as a starter and they were all virtually identical. The other three had better offensive lines in front of them as well. The biggest difference was the elevated expectations.
Peyton and Clausen were true freshmen and Tee Martin had the luxury of sitting and learning behind Peyton for multiple years before taking over. Nico had to sit behind Milton and learn how to make bad decisions like running out of bounds after time has expired and overthrowing your receivers by 20 yards. We would have been better served letting Nico take his lumps last year and learn on the fly.

Reactions: Remy
His play has been about where he should when one considers the circumstances under which he is playing. First, he is forced to compress his decisions because of the poor play of the offensive line. Second, the play calling has been very conservative putting the offense in second and long and third a long. Third, the play calling in OT was completely different than the play calling during most of the game except a couple when passing plays were called on first down. Novo and any other QB has to have support from his team mates as well as the coaching staff. We can not call the same old plays in similar situations as we have for the last three years. That plays directly into the hands of the defense. We still have the ability to win the rest of our regular season games, if we and coach smarter.

Reactions: Pride85
He is very young and inexperienced. Given that fact, he will from time to time make a mistake and be inconsistent. The more he plays the better he will get and the negatives of inexperience and inconsistency will move toward zero.

Reactions: Pride85
What does NIL have to do with anything? That is separate from football. Pre NIL he would still be getting the bag we just wouldn't now how much it is. People act like they just hand these kids money, they work for it. NIL gives them the opportunity to monetize their fame. Nico is Nico and he right on track for what should be expected for a recruit of his stature.

True freshmen having crazy success is very rare. It normally comes from desperation not design. Perfect example is Williams in Bama. Had it not been for the past 2 years of portal defections and bad recruiting he would not be starting. Look at how many 4 and 5 star WR's bama lost the last 2 years and Agiye Hall losing his whole mind. Those guys stay and Williams is in the same position Matthews is in. The difference in Williams and Matthews is not talent it Williams plays In an offense where WR's are not asked to do much and they let him run a super simple route tree. WR's at UT have to run a lot of option routes and that takes time to learn.

Nico is in a position where he is constrained for whatever reason. CJH does not want to risk him because he is not comfortable with the backup situation? It's like since Hendon tore his ACL CJH does not want his QB's to run? Milton showed in situations where there are designed runs he could execute. But they rarely came. With Nico it is even more egregious. Hooker used to have quite a few designed runs per game.
This is why I worded this poll the way I did. It isn't NIL itself, but how it changes the perception of the player when it comes to criticism. I do not like the way NIL is structured. I it worked the way it was presented, athletes able to get endorsement contracts for money, not just blatant give them a blank check, I could support it to a degree. As it is, not so much. That is just my opinion, you have a different one.

This is why I worded this poll the way I did. It isn't NIL itself, but how it changes the perception of the player when it comes to criticism. I do not like the way NIL is structured. I it worked the way it was presented, athletes able to get endorsement contracts for money, not just blatant give them a blank check, I could support it to a degree. As it is, not so much. That is just my opinion, you have a different one.

NIL is not affecting anything its fans not understand. Dumb folks are gonna do dumb things. If it wasn't NIL they'd find an irrational reason to knock the kid for not meeting some arbitrary goal they set for him. any 5 star comes in and does not immediately put up Heisman numbers and win a natty gets crucified.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back