Portal issues?

EconVol92

I see so many going in and I understand that doesn’t mean they are leaving, but I don’t really see any coming in.

I see SC seemingly adding left and right and they are an absolute train wreck and then Missouri is the flavor of the moment, but there is no history there to think that it won’t turn around the other way in the near future.

What issues?

So far 10 have gone into the portal from UT. Which should we have kept?

The UT staff was clearly concentrating on keeping players they value rather than churning the roster. Should we recruit Mays or go take a chance in the portal? You think USCe will go into the portal and get a better WR than Wells?

Working out those big nil deals behind the scenes. Prob breach of contract if they announce early. BLUE FONT sort of*

It’s a whole new game with NIL. There’s definitely a cap to how much we can give to a single player. Spreading that around the roster is gonna be tough. I don’t think I’m going to like where this goes but it’s not going to go away, dealing with unconstrained “free-agency” every off-season is the new norm😏

I see so many going in and I understand that doesn’t mean they are leaving, but I don’t really see any coming in.

I see SC seemingly adding left and right and they are an absolute train wreck and then Missouri is the flavor of the moment, but there is no history there to think that it won’t turn around the other way in the near future.

UT is focused on getting the senior lineman to return with NIL monies. That has been a major focus and seems to be working. They have also been working on TE and DBs from the portal. Those will happen but you're not going to see massive additions from the portal.

Hopefully we'll sign all our commitments next Wednesday (and maybe have a few surprise additions) and then the staff will be able to focus more on portal players, I believe we've offeed a few but none have signed yet. I think we'll take any TE that's still breathing. Echols might have been able to compete for playing time as a true freshman but decided to go to USF. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up several TEs in the portal.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll sign all our commitments next Wednesday (and maybe have a few surprise additions) and then the staff will be able to focus more on portal players, I believe we've offeed a few but none have signed yet. I think we'll take any TE that's still breathing. Echols might have been able to compete for playing time as a true freshman but decided to go to UCF. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up several TEs in the portal.

1 portal tight end and 1 high school TE will likely be the pickups. Portal tight ends are expecting to be the main guy so very unlikely to get two from the portal. BTW, Ethan Davis is expecting to be the GUY also.

1 portal tight end and 1 high school TE will likely be the pickups. Portal tight ends are expecting to be the main guy so very unlikely to get two from the portal. BTW, Ethan Davis is expecting to be the GUY also.
Certainly, hope so. He is more athletic than our previous TEs.

SCjr is trying to salvage their program. Beamer ain’t panning out too well. Every year with them it’s like putting a clean sock on a dirty foot

Since we have so many super seniors coming back, the only positions we really need are WR and DB. An IOL would be nice but we aren’t desperate for help. We’re favored to get the WR from Tulane, which checks that box. And there aren’t any great DBs available that I’ve seen. So it just kinda is what it is, IMO. Maybe we can find an elite DB in April

They go into the portal before they come out of the portal

It’s been very disappointing for sure that we haven’t been doing much or getting many players in the portal this year and our recruiting class which at one time was ranked 7 has dropped to 14. Kentucky and Souh Carolina and Ole Miss are running circles around us right now in the portal.

VN Store

Back