Portal issues?

Unfortunately, you and I are in agreement on this. That was my whole reason for asking the question. I don't see how this won't destroy college athletics. The sad part for me is that these athletes know as they are growing up and improving their skills, that their athletic abilities are what is paying for their education. Not to mention how much they will make as a professional athlete.

I guess the universities can argue that, basically, they are being paid, via athletic scholarships, free meals, physical strength training, and all the other benefits that the average student doesn't get.
Unfortunately, in the NCAA v Alston case about the NCAA limiting educational benefits, the Supreme Court basically said the idea that the scholarship was "market value" payment for the value of the players to the teams was basically "wage fixing" by the schools.That hints at employee status and collective bargaining as the way the court feels it should go.

The problem is the big TV money. The only solution I see is for schools to walk away from that, less SEC, B1G, etc games to be on TV and the fans to get good radios.

As long as there's big pressure on schools to recruit like mad, have a great coach, have incredible facilities, etc, there's really no way big money isn't going flow all over the place.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa

VN Store

Back