Postgame press conference video

Let's not pretend that 75 percent of the fans wouldn't have had the same question/thought/reaction as the guy who asked the question after the game 2 loss if we'd been eliminated by Evansville last night. Please. There would have been a ton of negativity if the No. 1 ranked team/1 seed had gotten booted by the lowest rated team in the Supers. It is what it is.

After the win, of course everybody changes their tune. Fact is, there /was/ a lot of pressure on Vitello going into last night's game, and so the coach was understandably blowing off that buildup of steam. I liked what he had to say--he's right about success, everybody measures it differently--but it's also true that when a program reaches a high-level, and reaches it consistently, expectations will rise. It's natural--and there is no getting away from it. It comes with the territory. I get it all---the expectations, the pressure, what he said. It's part of sports. I especially liked what he said about prospects who expect to get paid to play: That's a response that I'd like to see resonate around "college" football and basketball--ha.

Let's not pretend that 75 percent of the fans wouldn't have had the same question/thought/reaction as the guy who asked the question after the game 2 loss if we'd been eliminated by Evansville last night. Please. There would have been a ton of negativity if the No. 1 ranked team/1 seed had gotten booted by the lowest rated team in the Supers. It is what it is.

After the win, of course everybody changes their tune. Fact is, there /was/ a lot of pressure on Vitello going into last night's game, and so the coach was understandably blowing off that buildup of steam. I liked what he had to say--he's right about success, everybody measures it differently--but it's also true that when a program reaches a high-level, and reaches it consistently, expectations will rise. It's natural--and there is no getting away from it. It comes with the territory. I get it all---the expectations, the pressure, what he said. It's part of sports. I especially liked what he said about prospects who expect to get paid to play: That's a response that I'd like to see resonate around "college" football and basketball--ha.

I get this take and have thrown that around in my mind since I saw the presser. Is it possible? I think so, sure. But I think the response from CTV was deeper and broader than just that one question. He addressed the NIL nonsense “rumors”, corrected the issues brought about by the question on Saturday and made some well pointed references to the narratives being spread by mainly ESPN for days about Tennessee and 2022 and actively rooting for Evansville to the point that their announcers had to correct themselves on incorrect points and narratives about Tennessee late in the game last night they had been spilling for that same period of time.

Would there have been whining and crying and gnashing of teeth had that series ended in a loss? Sure, and I can’t guarantee I wouldn’t have been putting in my fair share had that happened. But CTV’s presser message was a wake up call for everyone - including myself and probably all of us to some extent - what these young men accomplished this year was amazing, regardless of the outcome. Most of us don’t see what these kids put into this program because we only see a small fraction of the overall picture and that point was well taken and needed to be said loud and clear to everyone, both those of us wearing Orange colored glasses and the wider college landscape, particularly the talking heads, that are doing more to hurt the game and the program than most even seem to realize.

We would have ALL been saying the same thing the journalist said/asked. Warranted or not it would have came from everyone on this message board. Was it the wrong time to ask that question. Absolutely.

With that said, we all love Tony V. and so does his players. We are lucky to have him. Go Vols. Take one game at a time. Beat those Seminoles. Play great defense, pitch good, get some base hits and hit the ball out of the park. We got this.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I know you wrote that as a compliment to their team.

But that would also be the "corporate American" thing to do (and I say that critically, as a political conservative). Sure, if EU has a kid who needs to come to Tennessee in order to fulfil his potential, then I'd want him to have that opportunity.

But all of us, as we compete in life, need to keep a few brain cells looking out for the greater good. Pat Summitt was all Tennessee Orange. But she also did things to encourage the growth and maturity of women's college basketball, despite knowing that it would create greater competition for her team.

Corporate money inevitably drives us toward super conferences that would end up limiting the opportunities for players whose lives could be positively shaped by programs like that at Evansville. I hope Danny and Tony appreciate that and continue to support those schools. I think they will.

Just because things can be done doesn't mean they should be done. I guess mankind just has to keep relearning that. We've read about the Tower of Babel, watched a dozen movies about Frankenstein, but here we are again... about to enter a world run by AI.

LOL--Sorry. Diatribe over!
I believe of Sunday's starting nine for Tennessee, only Amick and Stark were not originally signed by Tennessee. Our coaching staff has an eye for talent from the get go.

I know you wrote that as a compliment to their team.

But that would also be the "corporate American" thing to do (and I say that critically, as a political conservative). Sure, if EU has a kid who needs to come to Tennessee in order to fulfil his potential, then I'd want him to have that opportunity.

But all of us, as we compete in life, need to keep a few brain cells looking out for the greater good. Pat Summitt was all Tennessee Orange. But she also did things to encourage the growth and maturity of women's college basketball, despite knowing that it would create greater competition for her team.

Corporate money inevitably drives us toward super conferences that would end up limiting the opportunities for players whose lives could be positively shaped by programs like that at Evansville. I hope Danny and Tony appreciate that and continue to support those schools. I think they will.

Just because things can be done doesn't mean they should be done. I guess mankind just has to keep relearning that. We've read about the Tower of Babel, watched a dozen movies about Frankenstein, but here we are again... about to enter a world run by AI.

LOL--Sorry. Diatribe over!
Just a joke actually.

Now, I need press conferences like this from all of our other coaches as well. I get SO TIRED of soft questions and coach speak answers. This was freaking awesome. I want Heup to go off like this. Rick Barnes is closer to doing that than Heup is though.

VN Store

Back