Potential issues with the 12-team CFP

sami

We are obviously not going to be able to pass judgment on this new playoff format and the selection process until we see how it plays out, but I'd like to raise a couple of potential issues. I'm clearly coming from a Tennessee and SEC perspective, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on this new format.

1. It annoys the hell out of me to hear the SEC and Big 10 linked together and described as equals. The only elite teams in the Big 10 are OSU and maybe Oregon. Penn State is good but far from elite, Indiana and Illinois are pretenders, and the rest are middling to dreck. The SEC has maybe 3-4 teams that aren't really competitive right now, and that's including underachieving Kentucky and Oklahoma teams. Hell, Vandy is a handful now.

But we're possibly going to see Big 10 teams that play 1-2 tough games winning 10-11 games and getting at large spots over 2-3 loss SEC teams that go through a week-to-week meat grinder because the leagues are seen as equals. Anyone who watches average Big 10 games and SEC games knows there is a huge difference in the level of play and the intensity of the leagues, and yet I believe we're going to see better SEC teams that played brutal schedules left out for a team like Indiana or Illinois.

2. The conferences will never get rid of the conference championship games because of revenue, but they are potentially going to cost a deserving team a playoff spot. If a 2-loss SEC team loses the title game, which is entirely possible, chances are they will be bounced from the playoff field, which would be grossly unfair for a team that finished second in the conference. It would be simple to decide the conference champ through tiebreakers if needed and avoid this, but they will never give up the payday, a potentially big problem.

I agree with your premise. What if we lose to GA and win all the rest and GA wins out. We both get to the SEC championship and lose to GA again we are 10-3 and probably out of the playoff for losing 2 games to maybe the best team in the country. It sucks but it is far better than the 4 team playoff.

We are obviously not going to be able to pass judgment on this new playoff format and the selection process until we see how it plays out, but I'd like to raise a couple of potential issues. I'm clearly coming from a Tennessee and SEC perspective, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on this new format.

1. It annoys the hell out of me to hear the SEC and Big 10 linked together and described as equals. The only elite teams in the Big 10 are OSU and maybe Oregon. Penn State is good but far from elite, Indiana and Illinois are pretenders, and the rest are middling to dreck. The SEC has maybe 3-4 teams that aren't really competitive right now, and that's including underachieving Kentucky and Oklahoma teams. Hell, Vandy is a handful now.

But we're possibly going to see Big 10 teams that play 1-2 tough games winning 10-11 games and getting at large spots over 2-3 loss SEC teams that go through a week-to-week meat grinder because the leagues are seen as equals. Anyone who watches average Big 10 games and SEC games knows there is a huge difference in the level of play and the intensity of the leagues, and yet I believe we're going to see better SEC teams that played brutal schedules left out for a team like Indiana or Illinois.

2. The conferences will never get rid of the conference championship games because of revenue, but they are potentially going to cost a deserving team a playoff spot. If a 2-loss SEC team loses the title game, which is entirely possible, chances are they will be bounced from the playoff field, which would be grossly unfair for a team that finished second in the conference. It would be simple to decide the conference champ through tiebreakers if needed and avoid this, but they will never give up the payday, a potentially big problem.
If we miss the playoff it’s the worst system ever. If we make it then I love it!

I agree with your premise. What if we lose to GA and win all the rest and GA wins out. We both get to the SEC championship and lose to GA again we are 10-3 and probably out of the playoff for losing 2 games to maybe the best team in the country. It sucks but it is far better than the 4 team playoff.

And not only the idea of costing a team a bid, but as much as they piss and moan about safety, if a team plays in the conference title game, gets an at-large bid, and gets to the national championship game, they will have played 17 games. Ridiculous. The greed is just out of control, and it isn't going to get better.

The SEC Runner-up won’t be left out.

Completely agree, sami.
From my perspective, the lunacy is that while the SEC has the best teams in the nation, those same teams are beating the crap out of one another and distorting the national view. If you move any of those schools you mentioned into the SEC, every single one of them walk out of here with at least 2 losses guaranteed and some of them probably have .500 or losing records guaranteed. These teams are not equal but because the SEC is as stacked as it is, a more deserving team will be on the bubble or out of the picture completely to satisfy the weaker conferences. That's not homerism. That is reality.

Reactions: LibertyVol and sami
I’m going back and forth on this. On one hand, I think the SEC and ESPN will push to get as many SEC teams as possible because ratings will be better.

However, there is a real scenario where there are a few 10-2 SEC teams (LSU, A&M, Bama) including us, and our resume weaker compared to some. How many 10-2 SEC teams will they take?

I’m going back and forth on this. On one hand, I think the SEC and ESPN will push to get as many SEC teams as possible because ratings will be better.

However, there is a real scenario where there are a few 10-2 SEC teams (LSU, A&M, Bama) including us, and our resume is the weak. How many 10-2 SEC teams will they take?
Literally just postee about this same thing ha. I think it’s very possible UT gets left out at 10-2 but i hope like heck that doesnt happen. Would be a great year either way.

at this point in the season with the conference cannibalizing each other so much, wont be shocked at all to have like five 10-2 teams at the end of the regular season. Some SEC team (or 2) may well get left out at 10-2 depending on what happens with the ACC and Big 10.
ACC will sneak Miami and Clemson in. B1G will get 2-3 including their champion. Big 12 will get 1. G5 gets 1. That leaves potentially 5 SEC spots if the B1G get 3. Win out minus UGA and we should hopefully get one towards the bottom.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If we miss the playoff it’s the worst system ever. If we make it then I love it!
This.

I’m concerned as a 10-2 TN team may not make it. There is a realistic chance that we won’t have one win over a top 25 team.

104.5 zine said this evening that the committee looks at end of yr rankings, not rankings at time of game.

NC St- unranked
Florida- unranked
Oklahoma- horrible
Bama- will not be top 25 if they lose two more. They play Mizz and LSU or aTm ( can’t recall).

Vandy, MS State, UTEP, Ky - unranked

So we may need to go 11-1.

How crazy that UGA may be the only ranked team on our schedule.

Go Vols! Run the table!

This.

I’m concerned as a 10-2 TN team may not make it. There is a realistic chance that we won’t have one win over a top 25 team.

104.5 zine said this evening that the committee looks at end of yr rankings, not rankings at time of game.

NC St- unranked
Florida- unranked
Oklahoma- horrible
Bama- will not be top 25 if they lose two more. They play Mizz and LSU or aTm ( can’t recall).

Go Vols! Run the table!
It’s a stupid system. All you need to see is the talent comp in the SEC vs all other leagues to realize how much harder this league is to win in. The bottom 2/3 of the B1G is nothing. Big 12 is bush league. ACC is completely outclassed.

Love to see them against Bama. Oh wait, Bama played a sissy B1G school and don’t even sweat.

Miami and Clemson get to sleepwalk through their schedules against cupcakes and are rewarded with post season berths.

Reactions: allvols4life
Literally just postee about this same thing ha. I think it’s very possible UT gets left out at 10-2 but i hope like heck that doesnt happen. Would be a great year either way.
This. Our schedule is weaker than UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, aTm, etc.

It looked like a gauntlet intially using preseason polls:

NC State, @ Oklahoma, FL, Bama, @ UGA, and @ Arkansas . Scheduling Kent St, UT Chatt, and UTEP may bite us. I thought Oklahoma and NC State would be much better.

I won’t like it, but I will root for Bama to help our win look better.

When the dust settles the SEC will get three entries in the playoffs. Let it play out

This.

NC St- unranked
Florida- unranked
Oklahoma- horrible

Go Vols! Run the table!
Vandy is ranked.

VN Store

Back