Problem with Neyland Stadium PA Guy

I agree that Denton brings back good memories and it is special when he says "Its Football Time, In Tennessee". But he has been a little slow with the calls and the worst is him mispronouncing names of Tennessee players (frequently). Maybe it is time to transition a new person in to call the game and let Denton do pregame and halftime. :hi:

False.

it's still Denton, and he still sucks. I heard him say Marion Walls and Dontavius Sapp, but I never heard him just say "orange". he almost always says "Big Orange."

Nothing better than piling on a old tired man

I've been going to games for 25 years. He's been calling people by the wrong name in all 25 of them. It's not a tired old man thing. I've been to countless other venues and sporting events across the country. He's not that special. He's not John Ward. I even served as a PA guy. The #1 job I undertook was making sure I got the names right. I'd even visit the visitor's locker room or dugout every game to go over all the names. And this was baseball, lots of Hispanic names that I made sure I got right. It isn't hard, he has the spelling and pronunciation key right at his finger tips.

I dont want him to retire cause I love hearin that voice over the PA. Like others said, it gives me chills when he does the "Its football time in Tennessee". But good Lord he's getting worse and worse every year. It wont be long before no body knows who did what on the field. But as long as he can say its football time in Tennessee, im ok with it.

Reactions: 1 person
He is the only person left that reminds me of the good ole' days growing up going to games. I've been at 114 Tennessee games and he has been the PA announcer for every one of them. I can't imagine Neyland Stadium without that great voice. If you guys haven't heard some of the others in stadiums across the country, you should. Bobby is so much better than any other PA announcer I've ever heard. I think he's perfect for UT. I hope he can go for many more years.

I am with ya... I have been going to games for over 25 years now, and I can't imagine anyone else doing it. He has several signature calls that I always look forward to.... I have already seen a few mentioned, but hadn't seen "Priiiiiiiiiiiiiide of the Southland Marching Band" yet.

Reactions: 2 people
I've been going to games for 25 years. He's been calling people by the wrong name in all 25 of them. It's not a tired old man thing. I've been to countless other venues and sporting events across the country. He's not that special. He's not John Ward. I even served as a PA guy. The #1 job I undertook was making sure I got the names right. I'd even visit the visitor's locker room or dugout every game to go over all the names. And this was baseball, lots of Hispanic names that I made sure I got right. It isn't hard, he has the spelling and pronunciation key right at his finger tips.

I tend to watch the game more than listen to the PA...

I am with ya... I have been going to games for over 25 years now, and I can't imagine anyone else doing it. He has several signature calls that I always look forward to.... I have already seen a few mentioned, but hadn't seen "Priiiiiiiiiiiiiide of the Southland Marching Band" yet.

That's a different guy, that does the bands on field pre game stuff

Posted via VolNation Mobile
Agreed

He referred to the Vols as the Orange...not the Big Orange, but the Orange. IE First and 10 Orange, Touchdown Orange. Syracuse is the Orange. We are the Big Orange or the Vols.

I did not know that Syracuse was in Neyland last Saturday. I did not have any problem knowing the players dressed in Orange were Tennessee.

Last edited:
I was at the game and sober. There was a younger guy (may have been the DJ) that was doing some of the announcements. Denton did most of them, but there was somebody else doing some of it.

Met him at the team hotel after the Ohio St. Citrus bowl. I asked him to say "tackle by Tyrone Hines"! It was awesome! I love Denton!

Agree the DJ was turrible. On Bobby Denton, one of the greatest calls was about 10 years ago against South Carolina and after a penalty and a couple of sacks he said "third and the river". That was something i will never forget.

Reactions: 3 people
Agree the DJ was turrible. On Bobby Denton, one of the greatest calls was about 10 years ago against South Carolina and after a penalty and a couple of sacks he said "third and the river". That was something i will never forget.

Just what I was thinking about. Fantastic.

He is kind of like our Harry Carary.

VN Store

Back