Quarterbacks in the transfer portal

Now wait! VN cried all year about Nico not playing and you are now asking to bring in another guy that would maybe beat him out? GTFO
Well, you can't have just one QB. Merklinger, if how CJH handled Nico is any indication, will not sniff more than a quarter or two of play next season. So, who's up next where we will be competitive with a backup QB if it comes down to it? Is Gaston Moore is moving on or coming back? Is Navy Shuler up to the task to carry this team? I think you at least reach out to some of these guys hitting the portal, lest we go all Kentucky and start a WR at QB.

I doubt any good QBs want to come sit behind Milton /blue font

Jokes aside. I think they need to get the best one they can and promise him a competition because if Nico wasn't good enough to unseat what we saw from Milton then I am legitimately worried.

Reactions: volfeeva
Just wait. Just like Joe. If he's not the absolute spitting image of Hendon Hooker, Nico will be trashed.

Maybe don't spend energy whining about something that may happen in the future? Besides, unlike almost every prior QB we've had (that we know), Nico will be getting compensated rather well for playing QB at UT. If he plays well, he'll deserve praise, and if he's terrible, he'll deserve the negativity this board will inevitably show. That's the deal he signed up for.

Reactions: volfeeva
Gabriel of Oklahoma. Kyle McCord of Ohio State, and Vandagriff of Georgia. Do we go after any of these? Or do we just leave it alone?
Nico is qb1. None of the guys above are gonna come to Knoxville to sit…

I doubt we will be in the market for a high profile transfer with Nico as the obvious starter going forward. Best we're likely to get is another Gaston Moore type from a small school who has no other Power 5 offers and is willing to compete for QB2.

That being said, if he wanted to come here, I would take Dillon Gabriel in a heartbeat. He's already familiar with the offense under Huepel and has had success with it.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I wouldn't object to brining in a QB from the portal who has played more than the few starts that Nico has been given. There were multiple times they could have gotten Nico in some games to get him game ready for next season, but they kept JM in.

This is the problem with the corruption that is NIL. Everybody is throwing big money at top prospects assuming they'll just be great at the next level. About half of the top 100 players are not great at the major college level. Hell, Milton had Heupel and many other coaches salivating over the guy coming out of high school. Physically, he had off-the-charts potential. And? And he starts a few games for Michigan, does not play well, gets benched, loses his job. Heupel still salivates over the guy, brings him to UT, starts him...and then he and we see that, actually, Hooker was better. Milton gets his shot this year--and while the potential is still there, he didn't exactly excel. There's no telling how much NIL boosters would have given that guy....and then not a good return on investment. And all the NIL idiocy just makes life even more complicated for coaches, I would think. They're forced to make hard decisions, especially if some highly lauded prospect--at any position---doesn't quite look like he'll meet expectations once they've seem him on the practice fields. Nico could be great, I hope he is, but this idea that fans should be selling the family farms so they can donate NIL money to their school to land some hot prospects is sheer insanity.
I agree with your assessment that too much emphasis goes into to the potential of a QB who may wind up being a bust. And also about Heupel staying with JM after he lost the job at Michigan which makes it even harder to understand CJH keeping a top prospect Nico on the bench when JM was so limited at the position. Just look at all the comments in this thread that goes like " I hope Nico is the real deal". " Nico seems to have the tools". It made no sense to keep a top prospect on the bench all year while your team struggled with a proven less talented qb.

Gabriel of Oklahoma. Kyle McCord of Ohio State, and Vandagriff of Georgia. Do we go after any of these? Or do we just leave it alone?

those guys are going somewhere that allows them to start and that is not Tennessee. Vandagriff going to Kentucky

Joe wasn't criticized for not being as good as Hooker, it was because he is very inconsistent and has timing and accuracy issues.

Joe's stats and the WR drops don't support timing and accuracy issues. The issue is that he isn't Hooker and folks for some reason think an unproven true freshman is the next coming of Manning.

Joe's stats and the WR drops don't support timing and accuracy issues. The issue is that he isn't Hooker and folks for some reason think an unproven true freshman is the next coming of Manning.

We've paid him to be the next Manning---and he'd better not disappoint!

Are all the QB's in the portal ones that only have 1 year left and as such expect to start?

I am absolutely not sold on Nico. He hasn't showed me that he is all that in the limited time he has played. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been bad - just not lights out great.

If we don't have a good QB2 and QB1 gets hurt, those of you who are saying we need to pass on looking at the portal, will blame CJH for not doing so.
And if we get a mediocre hack stopgap and change some current QBs/future prospects plans/faith, OTHERS will pillage him for bungling talent.

Nah if you watched the games you'd see he is very inconsistent and has timing and accuracy issues.

LOL I did watch every game and attended many of them in person. It wasn't all Joe like some of you want to be true.

Maybe if you watched the games without the "lets trash Joe" attitude you would see that there were other issues as well.

LOL I did watch every game and attended many of them in person. It wasn't all Joe like some of you want to be true.

Maybe if you watched the games without the "lets trash Joe" attitude you would see that there were other issues as well.
All Joe? No, not saying that. But he has the flaws I have mentioned.

VN Store

Back