Razorbacks DC says UT offense is predictable

VolForLife83

"When I go home, I'm watching a lot of tape by myself," said Williams. "That's kind of when I get my thoughts and I said you know what, every time they (Tennessee) got this look, they did this. And it's [going] back to 2021, 2022, just watching every team that they played and trying to get a beat on, you know, what are their identities once they see a certain look.

"And I saw it, I said the whole goal is, okay, if we can get them to 12 personnel then perfect, we got them. We got them where we want them. You know, kinda playing our type of game. They got in 12 personnel so we switched personnel to fit that. And then 12 personnel made 11 because they still want to take the shots. Man, Coach (Josh) Heupel, he's really good at what he does. He's an offensive genius. So we were really just trying to slow them down and give us a chance at least. And it kind of worked throughout the game."

Funny how he says he wanted us to get into 12 personnel but the sofa coaches on the board say we need to be in more 12 personnel. I agree I think for this offense to work it has to be ran with tempo and last year Joe could not process it quick enough and now all indications are Nico cannot. Hopefully as Nico matures and growers we can get back to the the tempo we had with Hooker running the show.

Imho: Being predictable isn't really the issue, it's execution. How many times have you known a run was coming on 4th and 1, but couldn't stop it anyway?

Watch BlueChip Breakdown of this game and see how many receivers broke open. We left 3-4 scores out there because of execution, because the oline just didn't protect, the RB/H didn't pickup the Blitzer, or Nico didn't look the right direction.

Great execution of a play can beat predictability more often than not.

Funny how nobody had any issues with the offense until we had our worst offensive effort outside of a Georgia game. Georgia has had the most ridiculous defense since Huepel got here but outside of maybe 2-3 games our offense is not the issue.

Maybe we just had a really bad night and then it got into our heads.

The offensive line looked really rough, even against Oklahoma. But Nico isn’t looking to scramble much, and on nights when things aren’t developing his legs could have bailed us out. He’s also got to pay attention to the markers. He has had a few runs that got spotted short and he had no reason to not convert.

Hendons legs bailed us out of stalled drives. If we don’t make progress on 1st-2nd or have penalties the drives over. Nico has to help us when things aren’t developing.

"When I go home, I'm watching a lot of tape by myself," said Williams. "That's kind of when I get my thoughts and I said you know what, every time they (Tennessee) got this look, they did this. And it's [going] back to 2021, 2022, just watching every team that they played and trying to get a beat on, you know, what are their identities once they see a certain look.

"And I saw it, I said the whole goal is, okay, if we can get them to 12 personnel then perfect, we got them. We got them where we want them. You know, kinda playing our type of game. They got in 12 personnel so we switched personnel to fit that. And then 12 personnel made 11 because they still want to take the shots. Man, Coach (Josh) Heupel, he's really good at what he does. He's an offensive genius. So we were really just trying to slow them down and give us a chance at least. And it kind of worked throughout the game."

Hot take, their offensive game plan won the game for them more so than their defensive game plan. Their defense done what the offense needed them to do. Dive a little deeper into the TOP, don’t take it at face value cuz that’s what it always looks like. It always looks like because the Vols are scoring quick. Arkansas was able to extend drives and chew clock. The Vols don’t have the ball, the Vols can’t score

No $h!t.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Much of our offense is Jimmy's and Joes. My guys is better than your guy. You know what's coming? So what,stop it. This year and much of last year, we aren't executing properly and it looks pedestrian. With Hooker,we executed and only one guy had to get loose,if he did,Hooker found him and beat you. Right now, we DO have guys getting open (tape dont lie) but we cannot get them the ball for many different reasons

The truth of the matter is that they were able to stop our run game with a light box which allowed them to play 2 deep and 3 deep.

If we aren't busting 12 yard runs on the regular vs a light box then the explosive plays will not be there in the pass game. We become very average looking. We have to force the defense into single high safety looks because then we own them.

Vol offense depends on stressing the defense in multiple ways. Take away a receiver for a blocker, take away deep routes because protection can’t hold long enough, take away QB runs because you don’t want to risk the QB and pretty soon you’re not creating much stress.

To be honest, I found myself doing what I did during Fulmer's waning era. Calling the plays we'd see before the ball was hiked. It was errie how often I was right. I was doing the same during the OU and Arky games. With those two games, I sort of figured, because of our personnel and speed, it didn't matter. I'm rethinking that now. BUT still believe our coaches will autocorrect and we'll be fine.

Your offense does become predictable when your O tackles cannot block and the QB doesn't have time to throw out of the pocket. It limits your play calling. I was disappointed Hype didn't try some different things like rollouts etc. Guess we will never know why. He looked loss last Sat. night.

Last edited:
I think our player had an bye week and watched too much of their own hype and thought "We gonna go in there and win by fiddy".
Then Arky punched them in the mouth and they did not respond because they did not prepare like they should. I expect a much better effort against the Gators this week.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
Can't really argue...when you only really run 4 types of plays it does become very predictable. Last year was not even this bad...never thought I would say this a CJH offense with Nico at the helm.

Reactions: VolForLife83

VN Store

Back