Razorbacks DC says UT offense is predictable

Don't matter, we ran 4-5 plays. No quick routes, no outside runs EVER. Play calling sucked as bad as the execution and o line play. That whole game is a mind ****
I think it would have been enough to secure a victory. Still ugly, but would have come out of there with a win.

To be honest, I found myself doing what I did during Fulmer's waning era. Calling the plays we'd see before the ball was hiked. It was errie how often I was right. I was doing the same during the OU and Arky games. With those two games, I sort of figured, because of our personnel and speed, it didn't matter. I'm rethinking that now. BUT still believe our coaches will autocorrect and we'll be fine.
No you weren’t. Those plays are Uber complicated. It’s not “this is going to be a run”, “this is going to be a pass”, that’s not “calling plays”. There is so much to it. I’m skeptical that you’re familiar with the hundreds of plays in their playbook, unless there is some sort of all access thing you’re privy to. Must donate a lot to get that kind of information. Go ahead and break down one play you called, every detail, protections, every man’s assignment on that play, and all.

Last edited:
Funny how nobody had any issues with the offense until we had our worst offensive effort outside of a Georgia game. Georgia has had the most ridiculous defense since Huepel got here but outside of maybe 2-3 games our offense is not the issue.

Maybe we just had a really bad night and then it got into our heads.

The offensive line looked really rough, even against Oklahoma. But Nico isn’t looking to scramble much, and on nights when things aren’t developing his legs could have bailed us out. He’s also got to pay attention to the markers. He has had a few runs that got spotted short and he had no reason to not convert.

Hendons legs bailed us out of stalled drives. If we don’t make progress on 1st-2nd or have penalties the drives over. Nico has to help us when things aren’t developing.
If the sideline lets him. (run)

No you weren’t. Those plays are Uber complicated. It’s not “this is going to be a run”, “this is going to be a pass”, that’s not “calling plays”. There is so much to it. I’m skeptical that you’re familiar with the hundreds of plays in their playbook, unless there is some sort of all access thing you’re privy to. Must donate a lot to get that kind of information. Go ahead and break down one play you called, every detail, protections, every man’s assignment on that play, and all.
Whatever you say, McDuff, whatever you say.

One doesn't have to know the intricacies of Xs & Os to state the obvious. The eyes and the stats don’t lie. The offense over the last 6 quarters against solid competition is not working. The blame can be equally shared by the all position groups and the staff because it’s been that ineffective.

Of course it's predictable, especially when Slaughter practiced against the offense for several years. Heupel can't change his philosophy that much for one game.

Reactions: adam.vol
Not sure about the predictability but I can tell that forcing the run when it’s not working is dumb. Cutcliff was the best at burning you when you stuffed the run.

Imho: Being predictable isn't really the issue, it's execution. How many times have you known a run was coming on 4th and 1, but couldn't stop it anyway?

Watch BlueChip Breakdown of this game and see how many receivers broke open. We left 3-4 scores out there because of execution, because the oline just didn't protect, the RB/H didn't pickup the Blitzer, or Nico didn't look the right direction.

Great execution of a play can beat predictability more often than not.
If I know the play you are going to run, I will stop you 90% of the time and likely beats you 90% of the time. Look at South Carolina in 2022.

Without tempo the offense is much easier to defend.
Yep it wasn't the Ole Miss "Fainting Ghost" stopping tempo, it was a bunch of lineman twitching and jumping off sides and putting their team in 1st & 15 @ a hostile crowd. Then we don't jump off side complete a 25 yard pass and we have an illegal lineman 5 yards downfield. Instead of being in the red zone we're 2nd and 15 from the 50ish yard line. We beat ourselves in so many ways, it just compounded on itself at an away stadium ,hard to get momentum back.

Amazing to me how many fans think play calling is as simple as “throw to this guy”, or “hand off to this guy”.

Justin Wilcox was on Gameday last week breaking down plays and schemes and my head almost exploded. These guys are much smarter than us when it comes to football. We don’t know the plays they’re running.

Reactions: GordonC
Amazing to me how many fans think play calling is as simple as “throw to this guy”, or “hand off to this guy”.

Justin Wilcox was on Gameday last week breaking down plays and schemes and my head almost exploded. These guys are much smarter than us when it comes to football. We don’t know the plays they’re running.
Why do smoothbrained idiots ALWAYS want to lump everyone into the same group??

So a football coach is smarter than EVERY SI GLE OTHER PERSON connected to football?

Why do smoothbrained idiots ALWAYS want to lump everyone into the same group??

So a football coach is smarter than EVERY SI GLE OTHER PERSON connected to football?
No, the UT coaches are smarter than every fan on a message board claiming they know the plays they’re running. That’s the context.

Sorry you’re mad. You lumped all of us smooth brained idiots in the same group. Hypocrisy.

Funny how nobody had any issues with the offense until we had our worst offensive effort outside of a Georgia game. Georgia has had the most ridiculous defense since Huepel got here but outside of maybe 2-3 games our offense is not the issue.

The offensive line looked really rough, even against Oklahoma. But Nico isn’t looking to scramble much, and on nights when things aren’t developing his legs could have bailed us out. He’s also got to pay attention to the markers. He has had a few runs that got spotted short and he had no reason to not convert.

Hendons legs bailed us out of stalled drives. If we don’t make progress on 1st-2nd or have penalties the drives over. Nico has to help us when things aren’t developing.
Yeah that same UGA defense gave up 500 yards of total offense against Ohio State…and 40 points??

So Travis Williams is spot on.

Relying on the QB to "bail us out" like Hooker did will only take you so far. The offense has to actually WORK and be successful against good defenses.

In part, Hooker could make those runs because teams feared our other weapons and had a hard time stopping us elsewhere.

If part of your game plan is being "bailed out" by anyone, you're not heading for a successful season.

VN Store

Back