Razorbacks DC says UT offense is predictable

I think our player had an bye week and watched too much of their own hype and thought "We gonna go in there and win by fiddy".
Then Arky punched them in the mouth and they did not respond because they did not prepare like they should. I expect a much better effort against the Gators this week.
Everyone is forgetting that Arkansas safety played for Tennessee last year so he knows what the offense does and he told the defensive coordinator. And the ex vol had a good game. It was like practice to him.

The truth of the matter is that they were able to stop our run game with a light box which allowed them to play 2 deep and 3 deep.

If we aren't busting 12 yard runs on the regular vs a light box then the explosive plays will not be there in the pass game. We become very average looking. We have to force the defense into single high safety looks because then we own them.
We ran for 174 yards on them and Simpson and Bishop both averaged over 6 yards per carry. Maybe we should have run it a bit more...

No you weren’t. Those plays are Uber complicated. It’s not “this is going to be a run”, “this is going to be a pass”, that’s not “calling plays”. There is so much to it. I’m skeptical that you’re familiar with the hundreds of plays in their playbook, unless there is some sort of all access thing you’re privy to. Must donate a lot to get that kind of information. Go ahead and break down one play you called, every detail, protections, every man’s assignment on that play, and all.

No you weren’t. Those plays are Uber complicated. It’s not “this is going to be a run”, “this is going to be a pass”, that’s not “calling plays”. There is so much to it. I’m skeptical that you’re familiar with the hundreds of plays in their playbook, unless there is some sort of all access thing you’re privy to. Must donate a lot to get that kind of information. Go ahead and break down one play you called, every detail, protections, every man’s assignment on that play, and all.
You left out blocking schemes….that might be too easy for him though.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
I maybe wrong but I don't recall UT running much if any 12 personnel against Ark. They did a lot against NCST, but haven't seen much of it since then. O-line is an issue but there are still plays to be made, Nico has to play more efficiently.

"When I go home, I'm watching a lot of tape by myself," said Williams. "That's kind of when I get my thoughts and I said you know what, every time they (Tennessee) got this look, they did this. And it's [going] back to 2021, 2022, just watching every team that they played and trying to get a beat on, you know, what are their identities once they see a certain look.

"And I saw it, I said the whole goal is, okay, if we can get them to 12 personnel then perfect, we got them. We got them where we want them. You know, kinda playing our type of game. They got in 12 personnel so we switched personnel to fit that. And then 12 personnel made 11 because they still want to take the shots. Man, Coach (Josh) Heupel, he's really good at what he does. He's an offensive genius. So we were really just trying to slow them down and give us a chance at least. And it kind of worked throughout the game."

ANYONE that looks at the Hendon 22 tape vs all other years, will easily understand that Heupel's offense must have a QB that rolls out and runs for 5+ yards from time to time. It's easy to defend Heupel's offense when the QB drops back north and south. Heupel's offense requires a QB to move east west with a run throw option around 20% of the time.......that is the only way this offense can use tempo and for this offense to work consistently against top talent. Nico has to establish more draw plays and roll out options, period.

ANYONE that looks at the Hendon 22 tape vs all other years, will easily understand that Heupel's offense must have a QB that rolls out and runs for 5+ yards from time to time. It's easy to defend Heupel's offense when the QB drops back north and south. Heupel's offense requires a QB to move east west with a run throw option around 20% of the time.......that is the only way this offense can use tempo and for this offense to work consistently against top talent. Nico has to establish more draw plays and roll out options, period.
Those plays need to be called. If Heupel won't call them, Nico can't (or shouldn't) run them.

We've seen some designed roll outs that likely have a "run option" for Nico and a few QB draws, however, even the roll outs are hurried because the line breaks down too quickly and Nico has little time to "make a move" like Hooker did to extend those runs.

Hooker could extend those runs because he had time to either run laterally toward space or juke a linebacker. Nico has D linemen right on his back a lot of the time.

I agree completely with a lot of everyone’s ideas. However, what caused us the game was penalties, too damn many and too many stupid ones. One in particular when the punter was hit in the head, if that doesn’t happen, we burn up three minutes with a couple of first downs, and the game ends with us ahead.

Imho: Being predictable isn't really the issue, it's execution. How many times have you known a run was coming on 4th and 1, but couldn't stop it anyway?

Watch BlueChip Breakdown of this game and see how many receivers broke open. We left 3-4 scores out there because of execution, because the oline just didn't protect, the RB/H didn't pickup the Blitzer, or Nico didn't look the right direction.

Great execution of a play can beat predictability more often than not.
That's exactly it. You don't need to be smoke and mirrors. You need to be able to impose your will and be dominant . We've stopped being the windshield and became the bug.

I kept thinking we needed to see Neko roll out of the pocket before throwing (Jon Crompton in the Kiffin year-style). Neko was off the entire game, so in retrospect it may not have been a good idea... But I think it will become necessary at some point. On another note, what happened to the jet sweep?

We ran for 174 yards on them and Simpson and Bishop both averaged over 6 yards per carry. Maybe we should have run it a bit more...

One long run bumped Samson's average way up there. We weren't consistent at all. They were going to live with three to five yarders all day and wait for us to screw up,,, and we did.

The Vols were very predictable last week. Until I turned the game off in absolute disgust, I called most of the plays correctly. I guess I should be making about $1 Mil annually too as a D coordinator. 😂😂😂 Seriously, last week was atrocious. Very, very predictable. Why? I don’t know but it was Fulmer era predictable. Except back then the Vols had the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. This team doesn’t.

Amazing to me how many fans think play calling is as simple as “throw to this guy”, or “hand off to this guy”.

Justin Wilcox was on Gameday last week breaking down plays and schemes and my head almost exploded. These guys are much smarter than us when it comes to football. We don’t know the plays they’re running.
You can literally run the same play out of different formations. The formations allows for the offense to look for defensive weaknesses.

You can literally run the same play out of different formations. The formations allows for the offense to look for defensive weaknesses.
Truthfully that 'predictable' offense very narrowly beat his team that played its best game of the year. in fact had we run cover instead of block punt we win. if Thornton pass is good, we win. Id say we beat ourselves more than they beat us

VN Store

Back