Ready to be called a Negavol, but here's a real question

volfanbill

pack light and love heavy…
All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

the Ducks run roughshod over us and we lose by 24

Florida throws at will and beats up 21

Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.

Reactions: 8 people
I expect to see "Fahr Butch" if we lose to Vandy. That's it. The rest, besides Missouri, would not be very shocking. I have a feeling we will have a difficult time putting up points against SEC opponents this year. Oregon could be nasty.

Reactions: 3 people
If all of those things happen, then so be it. I am not going to have a defeatist attitude before a snap of football has even been played. They play the games for a reason...using your logic, we shouldn't even show up for half of the games.

Reactions: 25 people
Lets just hope we show some improvement and not give up if we do get down.. I kno we are rebuilding but if I see improvement and competition i will be happy. In other words not expecting much this year.

See the post Florida reaction from last year.

I've never seen our fans go into complete denial like they did leading up to that game. It was like Florida suddenly forgot how to play and one decent win meant we were contenders for the SEC East.

Reactions: 7 people
If all of those things happen, then so be it. I am not going to have a defeatist attitude before a snap of football has even been played. They play the games for a reason...using your logic, we shouldn't even show up for half of the games.

His logic is no different from the ones guaranteeing wins against Vandy, Auburn, etc. It's just from the other side.

Reactions: 4 people
For the record, NegaVol is a stupid term. We all obviously care enough about the Vols to waste a handsome portion of our lives on a message board. It's just a dumb name given to fans to aren't eternally optimistic about the program.
We all want the team to succeed, we just have different ideas on how or when that will happen.
I wonder how many posts it will take for me to be called a negavol.

Reactions: 9 people
when did it become wrong to go into a season fired up and looking for successes? It's like you get a prize for throwing out the most I told you so's after the season

Reactions: 29 people
What will happen? The sun will rise the next morning, and set the next evening. I'll work for 5 days. Then I'll watch and cheer for my team on that next saturday. I won't be dancing for joy, but the sky won't be falling either.

Reactions: 6 people

Here we go again. It's not defeatist to be objective. You can think one thing and want something else.

Reactions: 10 people
Lets just hope we show some improvement and not give up if we do get down.. I kno we are rebuilding but if I see improvement and competition i will be happy. In other words not expecting much this year.

that sums up my feelings and some others I've noticed. The only problem is there are a lot of people here bashing that opinion. A lot of people think 14-0 is a legit possibility and that there isn't a game on the schedule we can't win.

yeah they play the games for a reason, but come on. Look at the rosters. There's a reason some teams we play are ranked very high and we aren't.

Reactions: 1 person
See the post Florida reaction from last year.

I've never seen our fans go into complete denial like they did leading up to that game. It was like Florida suddenly forgot how to play and one decent win meant we were contenders for the SEC East.

Yep I was there to witness and it was a real wake up call..

The Any Given Sunday (Saturday in the case) mantra doesn't really apply here.

Sure, anything is possible but when you really get serious about the question above what does your head tell you?

We play a handful of teams that are far superior to us in the talent/depth department. Factor in that a number of these games are on the road.

Nobody here wants UT lose these games but it is what it is, maybe a few years out we can start really competing against these teams.

Reactions: 2 people
Here we go again. It's not defeatist to be objective. You can think one thing and want something else.

being objective and constantly deriding anyone with a positive outlook are 2 completely different things (not directed at you personally)

Reactions: 4 people
All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.

And you know this will happen...how? To answer the question, what we can do is to pull for the team to win each and every game. Will it happen? No, but the negativity of some folks is just pathetic.

when did it become wrong to go into a season fired up and looking for successes? It's like you get a prize for throwing out the most I told you so's after the season

It's not an I told you so, it's having your own realistic expectations going into the season. Since when did it become wrong to go into a season knowing our team had several glaring weaknesses and preparing for a tough season when we play such a brutal schedule?

In all truthfulness, if we can't compete with Oregon, we're going to be outclassed with our SEC schedule. Bama, GA, USCe, and Fl would all beat Oregon a minimum of 6 out of 10 times played, and the first two would probably win 9 out of 10.

I think the most realistic upset is Oregon. The talent level is comparable (although they have a gamechanger), and we do create mismatches with their personnel. It's time for Butch to shine.

It's simple .. It's football there is no guaranties. Anything can happen any given Saturday. I'll be upset for a couple of days and then get ready for the next.

I for 1 never go into any game thinking we are going to lose. If I did then why even watch the game. Sorry but I have a problem getting excited to go lose a game.

Reactions: 2 people

There's nothing wrong with it if you can support it with something other than the usual battle cry of "I'm a true Vol fan" nonsense.

Same people here that are ready to build a statue of Jones before he coaches a game are the same one who supported Dooley until the bitter end.

See how that worked out.

VN Store

Back