Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, sorry, you were responding to that post (#356). I thought you were commenting on the previous one.

I don't claim to know. I just know what the message board was ranting about with no dissenters, what some in the SC sports press gingerly implied, and what the off-season articles promised. I'm really fine, either way. If they worked on it all year under Dabo's expert head coach's eye and yet it was completely unrecognizable on the field, that amuses me more. If all the off-season articles and hype were just invented to stop fans from lambasting Dabo for taking an Orange Bowl beatdown, but never had a real or at least reasonable basis, that tickles me. If the case was in fact that G Riley was running the show but did not know how to run his own offense, I suppose one would expect that Dabo would figure that out before kickoff; but, if not, I don't mind if Dabo failed that way.
The truth is probably more fulmeresque.
-Come run your offense. We need a change.

--Cool!

-Now that you're here, run my offense with some of your eye candy thrown on top.

--Dammit!

Fulmer had a big issue with constantly flipping sides of the line…. We struggled really badly at the start and Fulmer dumped it/took over…. He knew he was being fired and was going down swinging.
It was an extension of the quarterback musical chairs that precipitated his only two losing seasons…2005 and 2008. He always needed control with the exception of his best two coaches…Cut and Chief. He “knew he was being fired” the same time as the rest of us…not when he shelved Clawson.

Players AND coaches from that staff were hyping the tempo that was being implemented and Tennessee was referenced…by Dabo himself. This reminds me of 2016 when the offset I from the bowl game was hinted at and we got THREE total looks all season. Always believed that Butch promised DeBord and Hurd some variety…and then reneged. Both left. Dabo doesn’t get Riley on campus without promising him autonomy. Don’t believe I saw that last night. Dabo running out of the tunnel full speed ahead of the team ALL BY HIMSELF was fairly symbolic. 😎
Was definitely weird and looked totally narcissistic.

It was an extension of the quarterback musical chairs that precipitated his only two losing seasons…2005 and 2008. He always needed control with the exception of his best two coaches…Cut and Chief. He “knew he was being fired” the same time as the rest of us…not when he shelved Clawson.
That’s not entirely true….. he pretty much knew this was his chance…. That’s why he was forced to hire claws on…. He didn’t make that choice on his own.

Reactions: knoxvol52
The Clemson message board meltdown, in large part.

(With some dainty polite implied confirmation from some of the articles written in SC today, for good measure.)

But also -- and you can look at it -- everything written about Clemson and for its fans all off-season. All they did was hype this new offense, with a lot of details. How it was a seismic change. With the features I mentioned.

And then suddenly, at the last minute, it was not implemented.

That Dabo took play calling away from Riley was a big deal on the message board. I continually referenced the message board in the post: "they said." They did say you can see Dabo with the big play list and making the calls on camera. They said Riley had a little note card in his hand and was not calling plays. Funny.

If they are just irate and making things up, that might be even funnier. But there is still the problem of how to account for the difference between how the offense operated in real life last night and how it has been described in some detail and hyped every day since the Orange Bowl. Something happened.
Okay. We've seen this before. It was posted on the internet, so it must be true.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Do we know that Dabo took away play calling? Do we know that they didn't implement the offense? Or were they just bad at implementing the offense?
It's like watching poker on ESPN and going, "oh, I'll just go implement the style of Doyle Brunson, Stu Ungar, or Phil Ivey"...

...as you get stacked for the 3rd time in a row because mimicry doesn't equal comprehension.

Just look at Pruitt after he left Saban's wings.

Was looking for Florida and South Carolina. Didn't see them. Looked in the "Others Receiving Votes" section, but they weren't there either. I think something may be wrong.
Did you check the FCS top 25 they may have been there?😏😏😏 Should have ranked a couple behind APSU....

Reactions: Devo182
Do they?
View attachment 576306
Dr Evil Evil Laugh GIF - Dr Evil Evil Laugh Austin Powers - Discover &  Share GIFs
Are you calling Freak a liar??

tenor.gif

For Dabo to think he could just pick up Heupel's refined offense and recreate it YoY is pure hubris.

It's not simply a scheme. It's playcalling and deep understanding, which is full of 1v1 leveling, game theory, and analytics he is unaware of.

That part of football is so desperately undervalued by those thinking this is just a simple scheme they can pick up without the other skills. Understanding your team. Understanding your opponent. Understanding what your opponent's perception is of its team. Understanding your opponent's perception of your team. Understanding your opponent's perception of your perception of their team...understanding your opponent's perception of your perception of their perception...and on goes the deep leveling metagame.

It's like watching poker on ESPN and going, "oh, I'll just go implement the style of Doyle Brunson, Stu Ungar, or Phil Ivey"...

...as you get stacked for the 3rd time in a row because mimicry doesn't equal comprehension.

Just look at Pruitt after he left Saban's wings.
Phil Helmuth approves this post.....I like "The PokerBrat"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back