Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Dabo to think he could just pick up Heupel's refined offense and recreate it YoY is pure hubris.

It's not simply a scheme. It's playcalling and deep understanding, which is full of 1v1 leveling, game theory, and analytics he is unaware of.

That part of football is so desperately undervalued by those thinking this is just a simple scheme they can pick up without the other skills. Understanding your team. Understanding your opponent. Understanding what your opponent's perception is of its team. Understanding your opponent's perception of your team. Understanding your opponent's perception of your perception of their team...understanding your opponent's perception of your perception of their perception...and on goes the deep leveling metagame.
He didn’t go out and get someone to run the veer and shoot which is what Heupel runs….. He brought in someone to run a version of the air raid which is what Heup originally ran at Oklahoma.

The other thing that has been proven is that USC loses big games.
Based on past coaches?

Riley was 3-3 vs top 25s in Y1 after taking over a 4-8 team lmao.

Considering we had a stretch of a baker's dozen losses vs top 25 opps, I can now appreciate what guys like Heupel or Riley did in Y1. Never easy.

Well, jave, clearly you know that "Heupel's offense" was a deliberately loose but significant way of speaking, and that it could not want to be anything other since in the strictest sense Heupel is Heupel's offense. Don't sound dumb, please, or be rude without warrant.

There are common teachers in Heupel and Riley's coaching trees, as you know. What I am surprised you show no sign of knowing is what Clemson spoke of frequently and publicly and advertised to its fan base for nine months. It touted quick runs up the middle on a regular bases, mixed with quick passes to WRs in space with a WR as blocker in order to play sideline to sideline, a very fast tempo to unsettle the defense and prevent them from substituting, leveraging this situation to get the ball into the hands of playmakers in space, and many vertical "shots" to stretch the field lengthwise, etc., etc. There are nine months of articles and videos on the subject. These great similarities, to be implemented by someone from the same coaching tree as Heup, and enacted almost immediately after losing to Heupel make the term "Heupel's offense" not any dumber than any other term. And in fact significant and enjoyable.

Now Riley wanted to call his personal version of what Dabo asked him to make for Clemson "the dirt raid." This is already a departure because Heupel doesn't use cornball names for his offense. But Riley and his employer Dabo apparently want to say it is not an "air raid," rather like Heupel's offense also stresses the run (or "dirt") game. It's not unlikely, that the utilization of the rushing game was a thing that Dabo admired or resented in his Orange Bowl beatdown and wanted to be sure was imitated. I have no idea what G Riley called his offense at TCU, if he called it anything. Nor am I aware that this description of the "dirt raid" resembles exactly (since you prefer precise speech) what Riley ran at TCU. It looks like it may have been altered with respect to more closely imitating our Orange Bowl team.

Anyway, what do you gather from these remarks that Tod and Kim's boy (I forget his name) either made up for himself or was taught by Dabo or by Dabo's hire G Riley?

Heup runs the veer and shoot(art Briles)…..Riley runs the air raid(Mike leach tree) except they are a heavier run concept team than traditional Air Raid team( hence the term Dirt Raid)…. This was Sonny Dykes offense…. He didn’t bring it to SMU/TCU…. He learned it from Sonny Dykes.

Playing APSU , Milton probably plays 1st half and calls it a day...Nico and Moore play 3rd and 4th quarter..... I would like to see Thornton getting more involved in game this weekend....
I want to see Gaston Moore play a whole quarter, while still calling "win the game" plays. I bet he could actually do ok. He's been around it from the beginning.

Reportedly the offensive players flat loved Riley and were really excited about "modernizing" their offense, stretching the field vertically, a lot of RPO, getting the ball to playmakers in space, and using fast tempo to prevent defensive substitutions. Etc., etc.

Clemson had spent the entire time since they lost to Tennessee implementing this new offense and hyped these changes to their fan base all off-season.

The Clemson board last night was incredibly angry that, as they said, at the last minute Dabo pulled the controls back in a mixture of jealousy, fear, stupidity, and incompetence. It was not unfunny to read.

They claimed that when a reporter was asked in camp about "the Riley offense," Dabo got visibly angry (although he tried to hide it) and retorted that "this is the Clemson [Dabo] offense." They should have known right there what Dabo was going to do, they said.

Dabo had blamed all his failures on his coordinator and quarterback, ditched them both very publicly, and then brought in someone to do what Dabo himself had no idea how to do for himself. And then at last minute (so to speak) he "took his ball and went 'home'" like a petulant child to his "dumb" notions that he had made such a display of blaming on others. He called his own game, his own old way, they said.

One wonders if this plays a role in Klubnik's now famous "drive-by" last night when Dabo tried to shake his hand.

Yet after the loss Dabo subtly blamed Riley! " I liked [Garrett Riley’s] poise. He just kept going, and he stayed positive, and he kept encouraging the guys. And go right back down the field, and we’d have a miscue there."

Comedy gold.
Didn’t Fulmer do the same with Clawson in his final year?

Wow that Duke QB was fantastic. Never saw that coming from a Duke quarterback.

And screw anybody that says Duke's fans (or any fans) should be punished when they just won their biggest football game of their generation. Let people have fun smh...guess it takes away from commercial time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back