Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bama, yes.

However, UK has had its one of its most unsuccessful runs in school history in the NIL era. Trust me, their fans talk it about it ad nauseum as one the reasons Cal should be canned.
UK hasn't adapted yet.
Lets see what happens when UK becomes the highest bidder in the portal instead of the recruiting trail.
Self has adjusted, Miller has adjusted. Cal will at some point.

Bama, yes.

However, UK has had its one of its most unsuccessful runs in school history in the NIL era. Trust me, their fans talk it about it ad nauseum as one the reasons Cal should be canned.
Cal is a con artist who only cares about putting guys in the NBA rather than building a team. Nobody is wanting Rick to do that. Cal is not really a great coach. There is a balance between what Cal does and what Rick does NIL wise. Cal decimates his teams every year by priding his program on one and done. You have to have quality multi year guys too.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
Cal is a con artist who only cares about putting guys in the NBA rather than building a team. Nobody is wanting Rick to do that. Cal is not really a great coach. There is a balance between what Cal does and what Rick does NIL wise. Cal decimates his teams every year by priding his program on one and done. You have to have quality multi year guys too.
Nope not asking for that at all.
Although Cals problem is he ran off his assistant coach a couple years ago and it's exposes how poor of an X's and O's coach he is.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
I would have handled a loss to NC State better than I am with Purdue. We still have the “haven’t been to the Final 4” label on us and it really bothers me. Hate it for Rick, our team, and fan base.

But it’s time to move on to baseball and football because I think we have championship aspirations for both.
Not me. I knew, deep in my heart, we did not have the personnel to stop their 5 in the paint. Look at our losses during the year and you find the play of The 5 position was most responsible for us losing. We simply can not stop them from coring, rebounding, or blocking our inside shots. We win out if we had any of the top 5s in the Country. Let's get one ASAP.

Reactions: SoilVol
UK hasn't adapted yet.
Lets see what happens when UK becomes the highest bidder in the portal instead of the recruiting trail.
Self has adjusted, Miller has adjusted. Cal will at some point.
Maybe, but you insinuated in response to LA that Kentucky’s NIL strategy was winning them national titles, when in reality they’ve won one tournament game in the NIL era. And they’ve spent boatloads of money (just not on transfers, like you said).

Smart spending > aggressive spending

I do think the success of Knecht will drive the point home to Rick that you need to spend money on playmakers. And regardless of the narrative, we spent a TON of money on Knecht. Oregon made sure of that.

Really no reason or need to be complaining about Barnes right now or recruiting or what we need to do next or anything. Just save it and be happy for once if you aren't. We made the Elite 8. We were the only 2 seed to make it this far. We had an incredible season. We had a great tournament. We fought adversity to get here (exhausted at the end of the season, poor shooting vs Texas, Vescovi sick vs Purdue and Creighton). Best season in school history imo (SEC title and E8). Barnes and this staff have given us great years and great basketball and that's going to carry this program a long time as the new expectation and standard.

Sometimes you get a bad draw and the short stick in the tournament and sometimes you run into a team that really nobody has been able to figure out.

2023-2024 Vols are probably the best team in school history and I'm just thankful I got to watch them play. Thankful for Knecht and the season he put together and thankful for the incredibly successful careers of Vescovi and JJJ. End of a chapter, not the end of the book. Go Vols.
Good post @SoilVol - you expressed what I have been unable to verbalize, even to myself. I so bad wanted it for these players… 5 minutes ago I learned that JJJ wasn’t on scholarship. These guys truly love each other and the coaches and that’s why my heart aches for them.

As a guy who only watches the Lady Vols, will someone with more women’s basketball knowledge than me please explain this push for hiring Lawson from Duke?

I’m looking at her resume, and aside from the ties to UT, I just don’t get it. In 3 years, 4 if we count the short Covid year, she’s made the tournament twice, but her regular season record isn’t impressive. In fact, if that’s our target, it almost feels like a Harper repeat and makes me think we should have just rolled the dice and kept her for one more year.

Will we be outbid? If you want certain players you’re going to have to pay them now. This is where my issues are. Because a kid wants money doesn’t mean his character and work ethic are poor. It’s Rick’s job to make his teams the best he can and letting a kid slip because he’s not big on NIL is not acceptable. If you see a player who you know will be a fit for your team and could take you to the next level you’re going to have to talk money more often than not. I love Ricks coaching but he needs to be willing to pay when it is necessary.
As LAVol has stated multiple times, this is a philosophy across our athletic department. They will offer competitive NIL deals but if the staffs think a player is simply looking for the highest bidder, then it's a turn off. They want highly motivated players who are willing to maximize their worth, while at UT and thus, reap the benefits once they show success.

It's kind of like a new college graduate just looking for the highest salary when competing offers may be better for comfort, work environment, and a quicker chance to be promoted. The highest is not always the best.

Maybe, but you insinuated in response to LA that Kentucky’s NIL strategy was winning them national titles, when in reality they’ve won one tournament game in the NIL era. And they’ve spent boatloads of money (just not on transfers, like you said).

Smart spending > aggressive spending

I do think the success of Knecht will drive the point home to Rick that you need to spend money on playmakers. And regardless of the narrative, we spent a TON of money on Knecht. Oregon made sure of that.
Fair enough.

I've never seen how much DK was offered, but I do hope it opens Barnes eyes.
I concur with the smart spending. Identify who you want and don't get beat. That doesn't mean you have to be top bidder for everyone.

As a guy who only watches the Lady Vols, will someone with more women’s basketball knowledge than me please explain this push for hiring Lawson from Duke?

I’m looking at her resume, and aside from the ties to UT, I just don’t get it. In 3 years, 4 if we count the short Covid year, she’s made the tournament twice, but her regular season record isn’t impressive. In fact, if that’s our target, it almost feels like a Harper repeat and makes me think we should have just rolled the dice and kept her for one more year.
She's a LV alum and a segment of the fan base wants the LV coach to be a female, and to have played for Pat.

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
Very great article by Will Warren

1000% agree with this

The season’s end is usually a cruel thing, but for whatever reason I didn’t feel sad after the game ended like I did in 2018 or 2019 or 2022. There’s no real shame in losing to a better team, no shame in being one of the last eight teams standing. It felt like they squeezed as much juice out of the lemon as they possibly could have, and they went down with blood and guts spilling from the floor. They went down on their terms. Those are terms I can respect.

There have been other teams that went down earlier in the tournament, or never reached their potential, that made me frustrated when they lost. This team felt like they reached their potential and went all-out, and just ran into this very peculiar circumstance that would be derailed pretty much everyone.

I still get mad thinking about losing to Loyola Chicago or no-showing vs Oregon State. Squandering great paths by letting lesser seeds have their moment. I still get sick thinking about the last time that we lost to Purdue. I get sick thinking about Chandler crying in the Michigan coach's arms.

This time I just kind of knew what would happen, let myself get surprised and believe, and then slowly returned to reality and disappointment.

Last edited:
Not me. I knew, deep in my heart, we did not have the personnel to stop their 5 in the paint. Look at our losses during the year and you find the play of The 5 position was most responsible for us losing. We simply can not stop them from coring, rebounding, or blocking our inside shots. We win out if we had any of the top 5s in the Country. Let's get one ASAP.

Most disappointed in Jonas and he’s going to be kicking himself the next 8 months. Hitting 3-4 midrange jumpers would have been everything for us yesterday. He just didn’t have the confidence to make those. Moment was to big for him

Reactions: Glitch
I don’t know what the point of this is. My post was in response to Checkers telling LA that UK’s NIL spending was winning them national titles. I wasn’t rebutting any of your points.

Reactions: Orange.

Not that it means everything but she was an assistant for the Boston Celtics for a year. You gotta have coaching chops to make it to the NBA. She’s very well respected in the coaching world.

As LAVol has stated multiple times, this is a philosophy across our athletic department. They will offer competitive NIL deals but if the staffs think a player is simply looking for the highest bidder, then it's a turn off. They want highly motivated players who are willing to maximize their worth, while at UT and thus, reap the benefits once they show success.

It's kind of like a new college graduate just looking for the highest salary when competing offers may be better for comfort, work environment, and a quicker chance to be promoted. The highest is not always the best.
I’d argue football pays out quite well compared to Ricks program. Top 10 classes looking to to go higher, Tony V is an elite recruiter. Rick needs to step it up a little in recruiting nobody can argue that. He had a few years where he had us top 4 recruiting and the last two classes he’s dropped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back