Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider me impressed and shocked George strait could sound just like Brooks and Dunn.two completely different styles and deliveries

You're kidding me? Interestingly two legends, Chris Ledoux, yes Chris Ledoux and Charlie Daniels played in, got starts as, Southern Rock musicians. How does it it follow that an accomplished musician like George Strait, who tours non stop, could cross over to Honky Tonk Country music - with a steel guitarist and rythyn section?

Answer, it isnt a stretch. Musicians cross train all the time.

Harper got let go. I cannot believe it. I thought it was April Fools. Are you surprised and what are your thoughts, @LA Vol?
UT does contract extensions in clusters, so that was a signal that certain things needed to happen. UT has exit interviews and meets with every coach after the season and works on a plan. There were some things that weren't moving in the right direction. Recruiting wasn't picking up. There were some portal misses, roster management issues and in-state issues that needed resolving. I had heard from a former LV player that the negativity was affecting the Harpers. They have a young family and because both of them coach, there's no getting away from it. So yes and no-- I knew things had shifted and nobody was happy, but it seemed like it could go another year. There's another thing that I think influenced the timing (other than the contract). So we'll see who they get.

Did I say anything about one and does?
Knecht was a gift, a lot of these kids are trying to get top dollar. They have handlers pushing them in certain directions. To get the Graham Ike and Caleb Love when they enter the portal you're going to have to get in some bidding wars.
What we need is what everybody in the country needs, scoring. To get what you want you gotta play the game.
Which we obviously are…

I’d argue football pays out quite well compared to Ricks program. Top 10 classes looking to to go higher, Tony V is an elite recruiter. Rick needs to step it up a little in recruiting nobody can argue that. He had a few years where he had us top 4 recruiting and the last two classes he’s dropped off.
Do you think Tony V uses NIL to recruit? He recruits off his success in developing top draft picks and going to the CWS. Baseball doesn't pay much in NIL at UT.

I don't know how fair it is to discuss this unless you know the numbers. This freshmen class with Carr, Estrella, and Dilione has the chance to be quite good if people have been watching. The headline class with Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer did nothing for us. Rick is at his best when he gets guys for 2-3 years and develops them. Just add an immediate impact in the portal, and you have your team.

Do you think Tony V uses NIL to recruit? He recruits off his success in developing top draft picks and going to the CWS. Baseball doesn't pay much in NIL at UT.

I don't know how fair it is to discuss this unless you know the numbers. This freshmen class with Carr, Estrella, and Dilione has the chance to be quite good if people have been watching. The headline class with Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer did nothing for us. Rick is at his best when he gets guys for 2-3 years and develops them. Just add an immediate impact in the portal, and you have your team.
Dillione has been pathetic. Carr and Estrella have shown flashes. Again… the whole issue… where is the scoring going to come from and what are you going to pay to get it?

UT does contract extensions in clusters, so that was a signal that certain things needed to happen. UT has exit interviews and meets with every coach after the season and works on a plan. There were some things that weren't moving in the right direction. Recruiting wasn't picking up. There were some portal misses, roster management issues and in-state issues that needed resolving. I had heard from a former LV player that the negativity was affecting the Harpers. They have a young family and because both of them coach, there's no getting away from it. So yes and no-- I knew things had shifted and nobody was happy, but it seemed like it could go another year. There's another thing that I think influenced the timing (other than the contract). So we'll see who they get.
Well, I for one wish her nothing but the best. I for one have been on this board, making sexist remarks about her looks, for a cheap laugh. She deserved better.

Quite frankly, Ive always wanted her to be successful. As a father of a young family, can empathize with her situation. Its impossible to live in Pat's shadow. Good luck Kellie, you're a VFL.

But was time to move on, for all parties.

Agreed, it could be someone that was/is actively coaching in the Women's tournament or one of the young up & comers. Danny White is pretty calculated in a good way. I don't think this was a "blind firing" by any means..

As a guy who only watches the Lady Vols, will someone with more women’s basketball knowledge than me please explain this push for hiring Lawson from Duke?

I’m looking at her resume, and aside from the ties to UT, I just don’t get it. In 3 years, 4 if we count the short Covid year, she’s made the tournament twice, but her regular season record isn’t impressive. In fact, if that’s our target, it almost feels like a Harper repeat and makes me think we should have just rolled the dice and kept her for one more year.
That isn't what they are doing, is it? Granted, I'm no expert, but I didn't think she was much better then Kellie.

Dillione has been pathetic. Carr and Estrella have shown flashes. Again… the whole issue… where is the scoring going to come from and what are you going to pay to get it?
Again, where was the scoring going to come from after last year's team? Barnes has proven that he knows how to do this. 2 SS and an EE in the last 5 tournaments. Why are you worried?

Guys have to be developed. I can give you a long list of UT players in the last 7 years that weren't 5 star players that developed into elite contributors. What makes this year any different?

Again, where was the scoring going to come from after last year's team? Barnes has proven that he knows how to do this. 2 SS and an EE in the last 5 tournaments. Why are you worried?

Guys have to be developed. I can give you a long list of UT players in the last 7 years that weren't 5 star players that developed into elite contributors. What makes this year any different?
Because people like Bama are passing us up and we can recruit better. Yes im aware we swept them but everyone around us is making final 4s. Auburn, Bama, UK all recruit bette than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back