Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a broken record, but that was our best run D in a decade. I just don't see how a bunch of JUCOs and 1 guy coming off an injury, if he qualifies, will top what our 3 seniors did last year. Not putting it past them, but that would be quite the feat.

On the flipside, our LBs can't be any worse than the past 2 years and our DBs should be a strength.

I think we will have a better pass rush overall

By my rough numbers, we'd have to shorten our scholarship list by 11 or 12 next season.

My best guesses:

1 QB
1 WR - Tillman or Jones
1 TE
At least 1 more OL medical retirement, of course
1 OL Transfer
1 DE (Emerson/Garland/Mincey)
1-2 LBs (Page, Allen, Bennett, Reid)
2 CBs (B Davis, T Bailey, Labruzza, Sham, K George Jr)
1-2 S (Gray and/or Harris doesn't make it in and spot is not filled)

Absolutely nobody knows anything about this whatsoever. It's a dark, long rabbit hole. That is assuming we have even filed the paperwork. Some think we are watching to see what works and doesn't. There really isn't much of a rush. They are preparing to play regardless.
Do you really believe our staff has not filed the necessary paperwork? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: GoBears
Not to be a broken record, but that was our best run D in a decade. I just don't see how a bunch of JUCOs and 1 guy coming off an injury, if he qualifies, will top what our 3 seniors did last year. Not putting it past them, but that would be quite the feat.

On the flipside, our LBs can't be any worse than the past 2 years and our DBs should be a strength.

I haven't figured out the best way to measure what position group was most responsible for our improvement in efficiency at stopping the run but our linebackers last year apparently took production away from both the DL and the DBs in terms of tackles. Obviously a lot of that has to do with a change in scheme. Another note of interest is that 75% of our DL, 9 out of 12 guys, are Pruitt's guys and since they've been here they have only been taught his system. The only holdovers from the old regime are Butler, Bumphus, and Blakely. The biggest issue with our linebackers last year seemed to be their ability to hold up in pass coverage. In our scheme it's my understanding that the primary responsibility of the DL is to tie up the blockers so that our linebackers can make more plays so I guess it looks like it's somewhat working. I'm really interested to see what some of our young guys at linebacker, the ones thought to have elite talent, can bring to the table.

ScreenHunter 172.png

Dangerous is one thing but people have died at the resorts for strange “health” reasons lately too. Something like 5-10 in the last year have died and many more people who fell ill but didn’t pass away. CDC is investigating currently. Idk the whole story as I’ve only seen an article or two but all the big outlets are covering it now.

Edit: I wouldn’t be overly worried still but it’s a big story right now.

People have died in resorts for myriad reasons as long as they have existed. Some may be reported, many go unreported. Think about it.

Telemundo is one of major news channels available in DR. It flows out of Mexico City, arguably largest city in world. If MC is the epicenter of LA influence, then it isnt a stretch to imagine the news influences behaviour in LA.

In speaking to natives of DR and LA, they say that one of biggest reasons they want to come to USA is bc of our laws, largely regarded as fair and balanced - which is ironic bc we have people who argue that they are 'excessive', etc. Ill never forget a piece in Mexico about a migrant uprising. Farmers were upset about some Gov't taxation. The news cameras were rolling when Police showed up - farmers had pitchforks and shovels. In states police use tear gas and arrest people. In Mexico, Police opened fire. All on camera.

The resorts are safe areas. I think applying good common sense in any scenario will keep you safe. I saw a statistic once that explained that if you took the safe amount of deaths due to violent crimes in Sao Paolo, Columbia, or MC - and compare it to modern day Chicago or Miami. There is really no difference. Its all relative.

Sorry to get off topic. Ive spoken with Sherriff Deputies here in NE TN that tell me we wouldnt believe the number of sexual asaults, rapes, even sex trafficking in this area that goes unreported citing big businesses that quash reports or bc victims dont speak out. I forget the number of uninvestigated and unreported homicides of females on Tribal Grounds - word is if a female goes missing, no one cares.

My point is **** like this has been going on for Centuries, and, still goes on even here in US. Nothing is new just bc a few american's died, unfortunate as it is. Just be smart.

Reactions: captainfalcon777
I understand that off topic convos happen in various places.There is no way around it. I’ve participated in such. However, 100 posts about a topic that muddy up a thread are annoying when you only want to read about football. It’s much harder to sift and find info. What does it matter if you discuss it in another thread? This would make the entire board run a lot smoother. Yes, the off-season has minimal info compared to the fall, but when you’re wanting to read/talk football and select this thread to find off-topic conversation for the previous 100 posts, it sucks. I don’t want to make this a huge discussion and be off-topic in itself. Only presenting a logical answer where we both win. Cheers.
BonyImmediateAkitainu-small.gif

Reactions: InVOLuntary
That year it was 2 people (love & kyrie). Warriors had 5 guys legitimately injuried. Enough to field it's own starting 5. Try again bub. I will wait...

Lol Klay missed 1 game and had 30 points before he got hurt this final game. The only injuries that matter is KD obviously and Klay.

Also the rosters aren’t comparable. You still have draymond green, iggy, boogie, etc in the warriors (assuming lebron and Steph cancel each other out).

Reactions: scvolfan7
He's now 0-8 on go ahead or tying shots with less than 20 seconds left in playoff games.

I saw that. It’s ever crazier the pass he gets from the media too. When other star players like Westbrook, harden, lebron etc have been bad in the clutch or when his roster is depleted like Steph has so frequently they would got absolutely nuked.

Reactions: drvenner
Yea that would be amazing but the way lebron is probably the best drive and kick player to ever play... Klay would average an efficient 30 probably.
I was saying Leonard in response to you saying klay was the best 2 way player in the league, not about going to the Lakers. Klay is not by the way. Leonard is by far the best 2 way player in the league and maybe the best player in the league. I doubt either go to the Lakers. I think klay stays a warrior.

Reactions: barrylee
Just so happens I am almost always working on my argument about how and why we can beat Florida this year and it's all directed at their offensive line. I mean I'm sort of putting all my eggs in this basket because other than that they probably do have a pretty good team. I guess I'm not totally convinced we pull it off but I'm still arguing my point. Here are my latest arguments.

Almost without exception all of the previews I’ve read for the Florida football team this year are forecasting an improvement for them over their performance last year. The one caveat almost everyone includes is they have to figure out their offensive line, meaning they have to replace 4 starters.

The big focus in on their elite receiving corps and the presumption that Franks will be as good or better this season, largely due to improving confidence. They also have decent running backs and tight ends.

Last year the AP had Auburn at #9 in their preseason poll. Athlon had Auburn at #7 and Phil Steele had them at #19 but he had Miami at #7 and Wisconsin at #6. Not one of those 3 teams finished in the top 25 for the year. There may have been other misses but my point is no one is that good at predicting how the season is going to shake out.

The line opened with Auburn an 18.5 point favorite against us last year and was still at 14.5 on Friday morning before game day.

Auburn has good running backs though they lost their stud from 2017. Still they had Stidham and almost all of their receiving production returning yet their offense was struggling from the start of the season.

In Athlon’s season preview for Auburn was this snippet:

The post mortem from their game with us was covered by SDS:

In his interview on Wednesday, Pruitt explained that his defensive philosophy is and always has been to keep pressure on the opposing offense. That worked for us last year against Auburn and Kentucky. Since I’m seeing pretty much the same hype for Florida this year that was published last year and since Florida has to replace 4 starters on their offensive line, and really 7 of their top 8 linemen from last year, I don’t understand why more writers aren’t just a tad bit more cautious on the Gators prospects for this year. jmo.

I def agree their OL is an issue. I do think that Mullen is one of the best coaches in the league in terms of scheme tho so he will probably find a way to mask it.

We need to find someone besides Taylor to get after the passer bad

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
I was saying Leonard in response to you saying klay was the best 2 way player in the league, not about going to the Lakers. Klay is not by the way. Leonard is by far the best 2 way player in the league and maybe the best player in the league. I doubt either go to the Lakers. I think klay stays a warrior.

Yea that’s true. I always forget about kwahi for whatever reason. I think he ends up on the clippers.

I def agree their OL is an issue. I do think that Mullen is one of the best coaches in the league in terms of scheme tho so he will probably find a way to mask it.

We need to find someone besides Taylor to get after the passer bad

I agree, our pass rush is going to be critical because the last time Mullen was in the situation of having to rebuild his offensive line he regressed in everything except the performance of Dak Prescott and his receivers. My argument is that it’s much more likely Florida’s offense regresses this year than improves. By how much is yet to be determined.

From the Jackson Free Press on Mississippi State after their breakout season in 2014:
2015 Outlook

Things aren't as bleak as they might seem for MSU. Prescott returns and will be a legitimate Heisman contender. The quarterback will have his top two targets from last season, and the running-back position has plenty of depth. If the mostly new offensive line gels together quickly and can run and pass block, the offense should be fine. There will be more pressure on Prescott to produce, but as a senior, he should be ready for the load.

ScreenHunter 173.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back