Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my thing being that I've been watching UT basketball for 3 decades now is that our expectations shouldn't be what Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, or Kansas fans expect from their programs.

Yes eventually it'd be nice for the Vols to rise to that level of FF or bust every year, but the program has only made the Elite Eight once.

We've had 2 SECT championships since the 40s, we've only been ranked in the preseason 17 times. The school is 23-25 in the NCAA Tournament. Only 6 coaches in program history have even made an appearance in the NCAA.

Things I keep in mind when looking at our success as a program under Barnes. I absolutely want to see him win a Natty here. I absolutely want to see him make a FF or multiples while here. But right now I just want to see yearly Sweet Sixteen appearances and a team that's always ranked and competing for the SEC regular season or conference tournament championship...that he has at least given us.
Yes. All this. That’s not lowering expectations. That is building success one step at a time. Fans want to skip steps on the ladder.

In his 3 NCAAT’s at Providence, he was seeded 12, 9, and 8. He lost by 3 to 5 seed Virginia, by 1 in OT to 8 seed Ohio State, and by 6 to 9 seed Alabama. When he took Clemson to the SS, he lost to 1 seed Minnesota in double OT but beat UK (lost in title game), Duke, and Maryland in the regular season. There are more layers to his history.
Pfffttt. Trying the clutter the issue with facts. FOH!

Yes. All this. That’s not lowering expectations. That is building success one step at a time. Fans want to skip steps on the ladder.
It's not skipping a step to expect to at least make the Elite 8 when you are clearly one of the top 8 teams in the nation (to this point).

It's not skipping a step to expect to at least make the Elite 8 when you are clearly one of the top 8 teams in the nation (to this point).

Well I mean it totally is...since it means you're skipping 9 regular season games AND the SECT to make that claim.

If we're a 1 or 2 seed then we should for sure be projected to make the Elite Eight, unless we get a crazy bracket that puts us facing a ridiculously bad 3 seed or 6 seed matchup in the Sweet Sixteen.

For sure, between Pearl and Barnes and now DW as AD it's obvious that it's possible.

Barnes has created an amazing culture and he's recruiting better than any previous coach has...but winning at least 2 in the tournament should become the norm now. Not sure if this year's squad is the team that can finally get to a FF or further for UT, but I really think it's something we could see happen before ZZ graduates.

For some reason I feel like senior ZZ and junior Awaka will be the team that breaks the curse. The surrounding talent will be elite as well.

In his 3 NCAAT’s at Providence, he was seeded 12, 9, and 8. He lost by 3 to 5 seed Virginia, by 1 in OT to 8 seed Ohio State, and by 6 to 9 seed Alabama. When he took Clemson to the SS, he lost to 1 seed Minnesota in double OT but beat UK (lost in title game), Duke, and Maryland in the regular season. There are more layers to his history.

Whoa now Chief, that doesn't fit the narrative.

Reactions: OrangenSC
March Madness is a complete crapshoot. Hence the name. I’ll take months of regular season success, consistently good recruiting, and a group of guys year in and out that don’t embarrass themselves off the court all day. Keep doing that and eventually the bracket will fall right for us, a couple guys will hot at the right time, and we’ll go on a run.

For some reason I feel like senior ZZ and junior Awaka will be the team that breaks the curse. The surrounding talent will be elite as well.

It's a bit to project that far out, but there is a seriously good foundation in place if the FR/SO guys we expect to be 4 year players stay here.

SO: ZZ, Aidoo, Mashack
FR: Awaka, DJ Jefferson, BJ Edwards

Julian Phillips and Dilione both probably aren't here to be Juniors.

But Cade Phillips, JP, and even Carr could be 2 or 3 year players that would be on that roster too.

Look, at this point we all know what we've got with Barnes and his teams... It could be much worse-- He recruits very well, develops talent, and is producing top 10-15 teams that when they are hot and confident, can beat anyone in the country, but when they come out cold/tight/lack confidence, they get their arse handed to them and can't recover mid-game... it is what it is... So I just prepare myself that it's FIFY each game we play...

We've got the talent, we just don't have the emotional strength and coach to get us out/fight out of bad situations if we dip,slip, or go cold during games...

February 3, 1912

New U.S. football rules are set: field shortened to 100 yds.; touchdown counts six points instead of five; four downs are allowed instead of three; and the kickoff is moved from midfield to the 40 yd. line.

1912: A Year To Remember | Sports | The Harvard Crimson

Pretty cool article if ya got a few minutes......

It's a bit to project that far out, but there is a seriously good foundation in place if the FR/SO guys we expect to be 4 year players stay here.

SO: ZZ, Aidoo, Mashack
FR: Awaka, DJ Jefferson, BJ Edwards

Julian Phillips and Dilione both probably aren't here to be Juniors.

But Cade Phillips, JP, and even Carr could be 2 or 3 year players that would be on that roster too.

Dilione would be a sophomore when ZZ is a senior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back