Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
d98295e8-a407-4168-b087-fc73cefc3915_text.gif

Dilione would be a sophomore when ZZ is a senior.

Well he'll be a RS sophomore, but him and Phillips both are in the same class. Maybe Dilione will be here longer than a full season though feel like he was higher rated before he reclassified, but maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Look, at this point we all know what we've got with Barnes and his teams... It could be much worse-- He recruits very well, develops talent, and is producing top 10-15 teams that when they are hot and confident, can beat anyone in the country, but when they come out cold/tight/lack confidence, they get their arse handed to them and can't recover mid-game... it is what it is... So I just prepare myself that it's FIFY each game we play...

We've got the talent, we just don't have the emotional strength and coach to get us out/fight out of bad situations if we dip,slip, or go cold during games...
This is my opinion only, but what I think we are severely missing is a Grant Williams type that can/will say "Give me the ball" and take it to the hoop. Nobody on this team has that killer mentality to take over a game and make a real difference.

Well he'll be a RS sophomore, but him and Phillips both are in the same class. Maybe Dilione will be here longer than a full season though feel like he was higher rated before he reclassified, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sure, but the redshirt is just for half a year. I believe he will be here at least 2 because he isn't known for being very athletic. Great shot maker. Dilione was rated in the 30's.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Sure, but the redshirt is just for half a year. I believe he will be here at least 2 because he isn't known for being very athletic. Great shot maker. Dilione was rated in the 30's.

Even better if that ends up being the case. One report I read said he's a big and strong kid that can guard 1-3. Hopefully he's a big time contributor for us next season and the one after as well ;)

It's not skipping a step to expect to at least make the Elite 8 when you are clearly one of the top 8 teams in the nation (to this point).
The Vols have been a 2 seed 3 times. Twice with Pearl and once with Barnes. Pearl got bounced in the second round in 2006 and Sweet 16 in 2008. Barnes 2019 team lost in the Sweet 16.

If you'll recall, the beloved 2019 Vols lost that S16 game 99-94 in OT to 3-Seed Purdue. (But they also had to overcome a 25pt deficit to beat Iowa in OT the game before). It was disappointing, but just barely on the verge of underachievement. Vols hadn't made a S16 in 5 years and iirc Purdue was borderline a 2 Seed themselves.

In 2008, Pearl's Vols rolled into the NCAA tournament with 4 losses. Lost to 3-Seed Louisville by 19. I would definitely call that an underachievement. Mostly because they were dominant that year and by the margin they lost by.

In 2006, kicked in the 2nd round by 7-Seed Wichita State. An huge underachievement.

So for the only 3 times we've been a Top 8 team, these are our results. That's a small sample size but part of it is mental. How can a program or fans expect an Elite 8 or a Final Four when, on paper, we only "should have" made the E8 3 times and failed to do so. The time we did, we did so as a 6-Seed. An over achievement.

The reasonable expectation to make the E8 has only come a handful of times. We now have a team with players that have played in the tournament multiple years and have tournament success on their resume (Battle 4 Atlantis/SEC Tournament Champs). One of these teams has to meet the expectation in March and break that ceiling before it opens up that mental block for future teams imo.

I will say that I will be personally disappointed if we don't make SS or better this year. I would love to win the SECT again, but that is less important, I think, in the overall scheme of things. To this point, this year has been a very big success.
I agree with this. And I feel like the program and players have "been there" enough to expect a Sweet 16 almost every year. We just haven't cracked the code (yet) for being a Top 8.

I remember Tony Bennett was at the top with Virginia for several years, and even famously owned the 16-seed upset, before he finally broke through to the Final Four and won a championship.

I think it's unrealistic to expect anything past the round of 32 given the history of our program and Rick in the tournament

No one except maybe Checkerboard wants Barnes FIRED…. It would be ridiculous. But discussing the situation is a different issue itself. He’s a great guy you want to see break through. Maybe that’s this season? But don’t down play the UT job. The resources are there. There’s a 15 year good history with Bruce and Rick. Plus again the new AD that by all accounts has a fantastic track record hiring and supporting the program. This isn’t the same as the 80’s - 90’s.
This team should absolutely make it to the sweet 16. If they don't they would have under achieved IMO. After the sweet 16 it's all about match ups and a degree of luck. Injuries play a part too. Officiating cones into play as well, whether they call the game to your style of play. That concerns me a bit as we don't play well when they a very physical style of play against us.

I agree with this. And I feel like the program and players have "been there" enough to expect a Sweet 16 almost every year. We just haven't cracked the code (yet) for being a Top 8.

I remember Tony Bennett was at the top with Virginia for several years, and even famously owned the 16-seed upset, before he finally broke through to the Final Four and won a championship.
And a good handful of those ACC regular season champion UVA teams were better than we are.

The best example to me is Kansas! Look at all the great teams there. They won a title in 52. Didn't win another until 1988 and only two since.

I say only because they have had a million one seeds. Have won the conference regular season a million times.

Hardly any coaches ever have been wildly successful in the tournament.

Barnes still has a final four under his belt and two elite 8's. Four sweet 16's. Anything can happen.

This is my opinion only, but what I think we are severely missing is a Grant Williams type that can/will say "Give me the ball" and take it to the hoop. Nobody on this team has that killer mentality to take over a game and make a real difference.
Nil has changed the scope of basketball more than football. It's gonna be hard for any team to lose 6 or 7 players to the portal every year due to lack of playing time. It takes more than one year to build team chemistry. It's a much different game now.

The Vols have been a 2 seed 3 times. Twice with Pearl and once with Barnes. Pearl got bounced in the second round in 2006 and Sweet 16 in 2008. Barnes 2019 team lost in the Sweet 16.

If you'll recall, the beloved 2019 Vols lost that S16 game 99-94 in OT to 3-Seed Purdue. (But they also had to overcome a 25pt deficit to beat Iowa in OT the game before). It was disappointing, but just barely on the verge of underachievement. Vols hadn't made a S16 in 5 years and iirc Purdue was borderline a 2 Seed themselves.

In 2008, Pearl's Vols rolled into the NCAA tournament with 4 losses. Lost to 3-Seed Louisville by 19. I would definitely call that an underachievement. Mostly because they were dominant that year and by the margin they lost by.

In 2006, kicked in the 2nd round by 7-Seed Wichita State. An huge underachievement.

So for the only 3 times we've been a Top 8 team, these are our results. That's a small sample size but part of it is mental. How can a program or fans expect an Elite 8 or a Final Four when, on paper, we only "should have" made the E8 3 times and failed to do so. The time we did, we did so as a 6-Seed. An over achievement.

The reasonable expectation to make the E8 has only come a handful of times. We now have a team with players that have played in the tournament multiple years and have tournament success on their resume (Battle 4 Atlantis/SEC Tournament Champs). One of these teams has to meet the expectation in March and break that ceiling before it opens up that mental block for future teams imo.
I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about the present and the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back